1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings F4D & E in March 2024

Homebee

18 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Hi everyone!

I apologise if this was discussed here already - but is that possible to make an Israeli F-4E out of any kits released by Finemolds by now? Or better wait a bit for the probable dedicated IDF box?

Thanks,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Indeed, with the already released unslatted USAF F-4E,  you can make any "early" Israeli jets ( without IFR probes - as these were added later) or an (Imperial) Iranian F-4E.

You will also need an "unslatted" F-4E if you want to build the unique  IDF/AF  F-4E (S) Shablol variant, with the bulky recce nose.  

Greetings

Diego

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking at the pictures on finemolds.co.jp, I noticed that the windscreen is not perfectly represented. I know that it seems a minor shortcoming, but diminishes the "Phantom look" of the finished (Phinished?) product. It should be easily corrected with a thorough sandpaper work

15084321-371c-4d05-8135-009e663b325f.jpg

spacer.png

a2229d7d-55ab-4d69-ba28-125d076b53b5.jpg

Edited by steh2o
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steh2o said:

I noticed that the windscreen is not perfectly represented ... diminishes the "Phantom look" of the finished (Phinished?) product

WOW! Great eyes, and you obviously know your Phantoms! 👍

FM appropriately changed the windshields between the long and short nose Phantoms. I'm not sure that if the model were rotated slightly  to match ground level view, that the appearance would change "a little" to better match your photos. 

At any rate, in my view, if the small discrepancy you found exists, it doesn't AT ALL "diminish the look of the finished  product".  But then, I am starstruck.  :winkgrin:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

😀Hello Gene, obviously we're discussing about the Quest for the Perfect Phantom Model!....

Yes it's just a minor issue but I'm convicted it's there, compare the  windscreen curve here

1783d0cc-f568-43dd-8396-cdef76707f7d.jpg

with Finemolds

9db1ee02-8ce8-4636-9cb4-d761d2e301e0.jpg

It seems to me that the "straight" lower line (see orange line added by me) remains straight too far forward, while real windshield tapers earlier as seen in the photograph above.

Ciao

Stefano

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steh2o said:

Looking at the pictures on finemolds.co.jp, I noticed that the windscreen is not perfectly represented. I know that it seems a minor shortcoming, but diminishes the "Phantom look" of the finished (Phinished?) product.

Great eyesight! It's an obvious detail on both sides of the windscreen.:yes:

44 minutes ago, steh2o said:

To be sure I cross-checked with Airfix FgrMk1, which is different and -obviously being 3D scanned- correct. ... .

I think you forgot the  :rolleyes: at the end of your sentence. Seems that the Airfix scanner skipped some 3D. :giggle:

And not to be contentious on the windscreen "problem" to which you rightfully drew attention ... but that last picture you posted has considerable perspective distortion.

I know, my rose colored glasses need cleaning.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, steh2o said:

To be sure I cross-checked with Airfix FgrMk1, which is different and -obviously being 3D scanned- correct. 

This the same 3D scan system that missed the rather noticeable  vents on the top/bottom of the intake splitters.

Not to mention various issues with other kits that went through the process.

It's big journey from scanning the subject, CAD design of the kit and interpretation for production.

The two windscreen shots cannot be used for exact comparison, two different angles and very different lens focal lengths involved.

Back to the Fine Mold Phantoms, I can't believe what good value these are from Japanese dealers.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 9

15 hours ago, Gene K said:

WOW! Great eyes, and you obviously know your Phantoms! 

Completely off topic, but Stefano also knows his Spitfires, amazing attention to detail in the linked thread:

I can't wait to see an FM Phantom from either of you, Stefano and Gene.

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

Back to the Fine Mold Phantoms, I can't believe what good value these are from Japanese dealers.

Just a shame about the cost of shipping now. What's the best price you've found in Japan? 

On HLJ they are showing at £22.50 which seems a steal. 

I have brought from them in the past and I thought the postage was reasonable but can't remember specifically.  I think they also have a system where you can build up different orders to post out in one go, so for example you might purchase the current F-4EJ and the future release F-4D and they get posted out together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 71chally said:

I have brought from [HLJ] in the past and I thought the postage was reasonable but can't remember specifically.   

COVID-Height-era shipping costs were NOT reasonable because fewer flights out of Japan dictated surface or Premium shipping like FEDEX (3 day delivery to the US!!) :thumbsup:  However, HLJ now has more reasonable options available to them/you, including EMS (my choice for 1-2 week delivery).

I think they also have a system where you can build up different orders to post out in one go ... . 

That system is called Private Warehouse, and I highly recommend it. You can "store" items for as long as 60 days after they are available, and you can ship all or some at any time in the 60 day window for each item (after 60 days, items are shipped automatically unless cancelled).  As 71chally recommended, that's a great way to reserve items to ensure you're in the queue to get hot items like the FM Phantoms as soon as they are released.

HLJ is also very good about reminding you of the status of the items in your Private Warehouse.  

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This article may be of interest to those who ordered the FM Blue and Yellow retirement kits (I use Chrome's Translate to English feature). The embedded video shows some interesting tank/travel pod configurations, among other things. Unfortunately the video as posted doesn't allow CC or CC translations.

Some of us just don't tire of seeing Phantom videos. :penguin:Wish that sort of high definition video capability was available at Phantom Prime Time.

Gene K

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

On HLJ they are showing at £22.50 which seems a steal. 

I have brought from them in the past and I thought the postage was reasonable but can't remember specifically.  I think they also have a system where you can build up different orders to post out in one go, so for example you might purchase the current F-4EJ and the future release F-4D and they get posted out together.

Thanks. The last time I used HLJ was probably at least 10 years ago and the shipping along with the exchange rate made the kits a bargain. Not quite so good now but since you can’t get some of these kits in this country it’s not to bad a price.

On 6/18/2021 at 6:25 AM, steh2o said:

Looking at the pictures on finemolds.co.jp, I noticed that the windscreen is not perfectly represented. I know that it seems a minor shortcoming, but diminishes the "Phantom look" of the finished (Phinished?) product.

After completing my Finemolds F-4EJ there are different areas of the kit that are not perfect which leaves plenty of room for the modeller to correct. Some of the parts seams need special attention. 

All of the joy of modelling.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 2:06 PM, Gene K said:

This article may be of interest to those who ordered the FM Blue and Yellow retirement kits (I use Chrome's Translate to English feature). The embedded video shows some interesting tank/travel pod configurations, among other things. Unfortunately the video as posted doesn't allow CC or CC translations.

Some of us just don't tire of seeing Phantom videos. :penguin:Wish that sort of high definition video capability was available at Phantom Prime Time.

Gene K

Thanks for the link, Gene. :thumbsup:  Some really cool shots of the Japanese Phantoms in some of the links in that page. For instance: https://flyteam.jp/news/article/131307

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 10:25 AM, steh2o said:

Looking at the pictures on finemolds.co.jp, I noticed that the windscreen is not perfectly represented. I know that it seems a minor shortcoming, but diminishes the "Phantom look" of the finished (Phinished?) product. It should be easily corrected with a thorough sandpaper work

15084321-371c-4d05-8135-009e663b325f.jpg

It could be a deliberate attempt by FM to distinguish from the long-nosed versions.   https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10774918/30/1

Maybe whoever can read Japanese can tell us what the circled parts on the windshield ( light green & maroon) mean.

Though looking at Tamiya's upcoming F-4B, I'm thinking it's little brother from FM isn't too bad:

hi-PI000000271708.jpg

Either way, I'm now too much of a Finemolds Phantom fanboy to let it bother me.  Won't stop me from getting the kits 😁

(To mimic columnist Dave Barry -- Phinemolds Phantom Phanboys --PPP-- would be a great name for a rock band 😆 )

Edited by Jackman
  • Like 4

It's different! Tamiya's windscreen side panel is almost ok to my eye (the photograph above is taken from much higher an angle than FM's one that I posted) But, again, this is a very subtle thing that can be easily adjusted, I would never say that FM effort is hopelessly flawed because of that!

James above commented about Airfix and 3D-scan... Airfix Phantom is beautifully shaped (to my opinion is the best around together with the new Tamiya) but is depressively soft-detailed... or no detailed at all in some aspects... it's a real pity.

I sincerely hope that Tamiya will release its Phantom in 72nd too...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jackman said:

It could be a deliberate attempt by FM to distinguish from the long-nosed versions.   https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10774918/30/1

Maybe whoever can read Japanese can tell us what the circled parts on the windshield ( light green & maroon) mean.

I think it's been discussed in this thread already: in a nutshell, the long nose versions of the Phantom have a shorter windscreen compared to the short nose ones, and this is something that other manufacturers have neglected to represent (for instance, all the range of Hasegawa F-4s sports the same windshield throughout). There's a difference in shape as well, IIRC, but as I said, it's something you can probably find in previous pages of this thread - it surely doesn't come from me knowing Japanese, because I don't... :D 

Ciao

• Like 5

On 6/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, steh2o said:

I sincerely hope that Tamiya will release its Phantom in 72nd too...

I am afraid that the chances of such a kit are virtually none. Tamiya doesn't show much interest in new models in 1/72. This is a list of all new tool kits released in the last 20 years, since 2001:

• 2001 - Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-3
  • 2001 - Kawanishi N1K1-Ja Shiden Type 11
  • 2004 - Republic P-47 Thunderbolt
    • P-47D-15
    • P-47D-25
  • 2012 - Mitsubishi A6M Zero
    • A6M2b Model 21

• A6M3 Model 22

• A6M3a Model 22

• A6M3 Model 32

• A6M5 Model 52

• 2013 - Ilyushin Il-2m
  • 2014 - Lockheed Martin F-16CJ Block 50
  • 2018 - Kawasaki Ki-61-Id Hien
  • 2019 - Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6

Please note that most of these sets have not even had any development into further variants / versions. The only aircraft where Tamiya showed some actual effort was the Zero.

• Sad 1

I just got the new F-4E 'Vietnam War' boxing from Plaza Japan, total cost including Japan Air Mail was £32 and odd pence. Avoided any customs charge and took 5 days so seems cheaper than it will be in the UK. The postage is the same for one or a few kits up to a point I think, I just did it as 'tester'.

Davey.

• Like 5