1/72 - McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings in 2024

Homebee

Here is the translation from Google  that went with this image "Finally, the draft of the F-4EJ Kai has been submitted. I don't think there will be any slapstick corrections and drafts this time, so it seems that the 15-day shipment of the F-4EJ Kai will go as planned along with the 8-day shipment of the F-4EJ. Incidentally, the monthly model art @ModelArtInc released today. Then, in addition to advertising, the editor-in-chief's visit to our company and an interview with the president are posted.".

ay5qPVD.jpg?1

• Like 5

Here are a three samples of over 50 detailed pictures of a sloppy slap-together of an FM sample kit as shown in a Tweet here:

Air Cond Intakes have recessed openings!

spacer.png

An IPMS flashlight will be required to see this beautiful detail down the intakes.

Eir2ZYvX0Ao1WMe?format=jpg&name=large

The only item that surprised me was this somewhat pebbly photo below ... but it's high magnification and flash, so [likely] the plastic is not as grainy as it appears.

Eirzld7XsAA4Son?format=jpg&name=large

The assembler used what appears to be black tinted CA to stick the parts together, thus in the Tweet, the seams seem worse than what they likely are. Additionally, since FM decals were not yet available, he used simplified Fujimi decals in the cockpit, thus negating the fine FM details. Nonetheless, I understand the reviewers haste to present the kit, and these early photos are definitely worth appreciating!

The Japanese text can be viewed using Google Translate, and in that regard, I was surprised to read that the Gun Gas Purge Door missing in the FM build pictures, is in fact missing from the kit. Not a big deal, but surprising given the obvious research FM put into this kit.

Gene K

• Like 7

On 9/16/2020 at 9:09 AM, NoahKras said:

I have an opportunity to speak with the folks inside Finemold this weekend.
If there are things you want to know about this particular kit, let me know. 
I will ask them, and post answers here as long as it is ok to release the info!

Hi NoahKras-

Are you able to share a bit about how the interview went? Cheers!

Jay

• Like 1

Hello. Sorry for my late reply, I was a little busy for past 2 weeks. 

On 9/17/2020 at 7:38 AM, Gene K said:

Outstanding! Please express to them how great it has been for us to be able follow the kit development. Relay to them how much everyone is impressed with their research, engineering, as well as their mold technology/artistry. And tell them there are high hopes that the success of these two outstanding kits will lead to the  production of further Phantom variants.

(As an aside, "respectfully" inquire why they chose to not allow dropping/opening the items that every Phantom experiences after engines shut down ... like the Speed Brakes, Ailerons and Gun Gas Purge Door).

Nice of you to offer to take our comments -- thanks. Perhaps you can also take a few pictures if they allow.

Gene K

I didn't really have to tell them the appreciation, as they already seem to know whats being posted on various forums 😀

They were well aware of the praise and expectations in and outside Japan, and told me that they are very happy to get such enthusiasms around the world. 

As for access panels not opening, and flaps and what not being fixed, the answer was quite clear. It was by choice. 

The concept behind the Phantom was to be able to build an accurate, well detailed model in relatively short time. Since Phantom has so many variations and paint-schemes to go along with it, easily assembled kit will motivate modelers to purchase multiple packaging. Unlike, say.. Chinese uber-detailed kits with so many parts and PE pieces which usually makes you "Ah I had enough of this kit" after building the first one.

On 9/18/2020 at 6:58 PM, tony.t said:

Please ask them if they'll produce the Hughes Falcon L-41/42/43 launch rails and AIM-4D missiles for 1970s-1980s JASDF F-4EJs. Even just the launch rails would be nice — they were in use for such a long time.

I can neither deny or confirm, as they were secretive in terms of future variations that weren't finalized yet.  Packaging that has been confirmed, will be announced from Finemold and various scale-modeling magazines accordingly. Unfortunately I cant say much in this regard. 

I`ve also replied to PMs with questions, so if you sent me one, check your inbox ^^ 

Edited by NoahKras
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NoahKras said:

As for access panels not opening, and flaps and what not being fixed, the answer was quite clear. It was by choice

Bad choice based on being unaware of some of the basics of how the airplane operates.  Technical excellence, but (slight) operational ignorance.

1 hour ago, NoahKras said:

I`ve also replied to PMs with questions, so if you sent me one, check your inbox ^^ 

Why not share with the rest of us? 

Thanks again (!) for the the visit and the follow up! The FM Phantom is certainly one of my most anticipated kits ... ever.

Gene K

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NoahKras said:

As for access panels not opening, and flaps and what not being fixed, the answer was quite clear. It was by choice. 

The concept behind the Phantom was to be able to build an accurate, well detailed model in relatively short time. Since Phantom has so many variations and paint-schemes to go along with it, easily assembled kit will motivate modelers to purchase multiple packaging.

I understand their concept in this from a business approach, but of course we are modellers and not business types. As well this is further described in the HLJ video of the above post.

37 minutes ago, Robert said:

From the guys at HLJ

Thank you for the link. Dealt with this distributor many times and admire the professional level of HLJ. 

Everyone's question of more variations is answered in the video as well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

Everyone's question of more variations is answered in the video as well.

Going by Scott's  emphatic statement that theses first kits received a resounding Pre-order, it appears  FM will have the capital to move forward ... and it sounds like FM has the intention to do so.

Another hallelujah. 

Gene K

• Like 3

With reference to the HLJ video - "build it like a tank" - that's what McDonnell did!

Interesting idea to build the sub assemblies and paint before final assembly to cut out masking- which looked to include the upper part of the front fuselage which would be the anti-glare panel in front of the windscreen as well as the rear fuselage unpainted areas.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iainpeden said:

... the upper part of the front fuselage which would be the anti-glare panel in front of the windscreen ... .

I initially thought the separate anti-glare panel was there to accommodate changes in that area required for future [potential] short nose variants.  Interesting idea about painting before assembly, but I probably will go "old school", being unable to resist admiring a completed bare-plastic build at the first opportunity. 

Gene K

• Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 11:06 AM, NoahKras said:

On 9/30/2020 at 12:54 PM, Gene K said:

Why not share with the rest of us? 

With NoahKras' permission, here's some of the questions & answers I sent in:

- Why make the choice for a Phantom project? (e.g. purely a market opportunity or was it also driven by enthusiasm?)

Finemold has released 1/72 F-14 in the past, both as magazine and as ordinary plastic model kit. They wanted a follow up to their "Jet" lineup, and the conclusion was made that F-4 Phantom would be the most suitable options especially for Japanese market. 

-  How did they research the shape of the nose and canopy/ cockpit section? (e.g. did they get help or measured themselves?)

They were not able to measure the real deal, as JASDF is quite strict in that regard even for a soon to be retired aircraft. I was not able to get a definitive answer, but [...]  Mr.Suzuki, the CEO, seemed quite sure about the accuracy of the kit. 

- What aspect of this project are they most proud of?

The fact that they were able to create something easy and stress-free to build, yet very detailed and accurate. I had a chance to build the model 2 weeks ago, and the thing needed almost no filling what so ever. Just light sanding along the parting-lines, and it was good to go. No re-scribing needed either. 

Jay 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

I had a chance to build the model 2 weeks ago ... .

Show off!

Did you provide any feedback to FM after your build?

Thanks for the very positive initial impression, as well as sharing the FM answers to your questions!

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

I've never build an FM kit before, and now I can't wait to order one. This F4 looks so fantastic. ( i built in the past Phantom II from Fujimi, Italeri, Esci... and i'm ready to build again another one now 😊 )

On the video (17:10 ) they show a picture of the manual seeming to say do not use rattle can spray surfacer primer? , I don't speak japanese, so i'd like to understand 🤔 ???

7 hours ago, Gene K said:

Show off!

Sorry - only the questions were mine, the answers were by him. 

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Another video from Model Art of Japan actually building the kit with lots of speaking.

Say that again! Interesting video though. 

Jay

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zorglub said:

I've never build an FM kit before, and now I can't wait to order one. This F4 looks so fantastic. ( i built in the past Phantom II from Fujimi, Italeri, Esci... and i'm ready to build again another one now 😊 )

On the video (17:10 ) they show a picture of the manual seeming to say do not use rattle can spray surfacer primer? , I don't speak japanese, so i'd like to understand 🤔 ???

Having scanned it with the Translate app, apparently it's a warning against the use of Surfacer as delicate panel lines and rivets may lose their clarity. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gene - I think he was quoting the person being interviewed talking about his experience building the test shot which I suspect may be the 20 hour build referenced in the video. As in:

Question: What aspect of this project are they most proud of?

Answer: "The fact that they were able to create something easy and stress-free to build, yet very detailed and accurate. I had a chance to build the model 2 weeks ago, and the thing needed almost no filling what so ever. Just light sanding along the parting-lines, and it was good to go. No re-scribing needed either." 

- Jack

Edited by wadeocu
  • Like 1