1/72 - McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings in 2024

Homebee

Like most model companies, Finemolds is a small organisation. Every decision they make, regarding what to produce, is based on their estimate of sales and therefore profit.

They simply can't do everything at once, nor should they. 

They have chosen Japanese versions first, as that is their, very large, home market, which they very definitely understand.

If, or should I say when, the kit sells well, that gives them funds for further moulds. Only time and effort slow them down at this point.

Andy

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Stilwell said:

Likewise, for the F-4F, Finemolds would have to invest in a slatted (thick) wing. And non-slotted stabilators.

Of course, the former would also allow them to kit later US variants, and the latter would be needed for earlier variants.

I am curious whether Finemolds will go the Hasegawa route, and tool up to allow most or all of the non-Spey engined variants to be produced.

Or whether they will stick with a limited number of variants that the think will sell the best.

Jonathan.

I have no doubt they already have most designs for the moulds ready for the basic differences between versions, that is long nose, short nose, slatted and non-slatted wings and stabs, etcetera. The breakdown in parts suggest that they have thought out all the steps necessary for bringing out the entire range. Sure the moulds aren't there yet obviously, but methinks it's only a question of time.

12 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Like most model companies, Finemolds is a small organisation. Every decision they make, regarding what to produce, is based on their estimate of sales and therefore profit.

They simply can't do everything at once, nor should they. 

They have chosen Japanese versions first, as that is their, very large, home market, which they very definitely understand.

If, or should I say when, the kit sells well, that gives them funds for further moulds. Only time and effort slow them down at this point.

Andy

I get your point. Still I'll put my money on a Phantom Phamily appearing in due course. Of course they won't do everything at once, but in succession. Though regarding funds: I would think that their income thus far (ie. from their current popular kits) have created the means for this investment. When they decided to go for it, FineMolds must have had the sense this would be their largest project to date. That suggests planning way back  - and the parts breakdown suggest a larger plan. I don't know for sure and am perhaps wrong, but it would be plausible to assume they went into this for the long-term investment and as large a market share as possible. As for Japan, one would think lots of versions appeal to that market apart from the EJ - the RF-4E for starters. But also Atsugi, Iwakuni, Yokota and Kadena were swarming with US ones back in the day. Anyway I see USN and USMC Phantom models often enough on Japanese blogs. Not saying all this because I want it to be true (these new kits won't be replacing my Hasegawa stash after all) but because I genuinely see reason for optimism. 

Jay

Finally! A quality 1/72 long nose F-4E to break the Hasegawa market dominance. Hasegawa has been flogging the old mold for years, its about time someone came along and took their market away. Maybe this will force them to up their game, and launch a new F-4E kit too.

7 hours ago, CasualModel98 said:

Finally! A quality 1/72 long nose F-4E to break the Hasegawa market dominance. Hasegawa has been flogging the old mold for years, its about time someone came along and took their market away. Maybe this will force them to up their game, and launch a new F-4E kit too.

Why, if Finemolds are doing a new one?

Andy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I hadn't appreciated that the back end of the forward AIM-7 troughs extended onto the wing underside piece.

Is this likely to limit the potential of the tooling being used for an RF-4 release? With this wing tool, at least?

Jonathan.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:39 PM, iainpeden said:

Looks like it comes pre-shaded to me.

The cat hooks logically say a USN J and, if one assumes different upper wings, a B/N - with lots of Phancy markings.

We can but wait and see.

The MLG bulges were present both on the top of the wings and on the bottom. The latter are the hardest to remove if one tries a conversion to a B/N.

Jens

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jens said:

The MLG bulges were present both on the top of the wings and on the bottom. The latter are the hardest to remove if one tries a conversion to a B/N.

Jens

On 6/20/2020 at 12:39 AM, iainpeden said:

Looks like it comes pre-shaded to me.

The cat hooks logically say a USN J and, if one assumes different upper wings, a B/N - with lots of Phancy markings.

We can but wait and see.

Yes. the bulges were on upper AND lower wings and therefore a thin wing Phantom is probably the least likely for the moment. I've read this comment elsewhere recently, though "different upper wings for B/N".... , so I was starting to question my own sanity. Luckily you came to the rescue and reassured my world order! :)

J

6 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

I'm not seeing any AIM-4B's on that sprue. There are three versions of AIM-9's, AIM-7, AAM-3, AAM-4, AAM-5 and ASM-1 and/or -2.

This looks like Finemolds MAY be going the Hasegawa route of separate weapons sets.

The F-4EJ could only use Sidewinders and Falcons. The -EJ Kai can use more, but I have never seen one with AAM-5s.

This seems to be a strange choice, but knowing the company, I am sure they are right.

Whatever the decision, the tooling looks good, and it is nice to see lots of alternatives,

Andy

This is getting better and better.

Seriously, if they get round to moulding an F-4G I would consider selling a relative to buy it ... 🙂

OK, also maybe for the EJ in sea scheme with ASMs; looks like things aren't looking good for my relatives!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Upper right corner. 2/3 to right. On top

Well spotted, but it somehow doesn't look quite right

Andy

1 minute ago, Vultures1 said:

Seriously, if they get round to moulding an F-4G I would consider selling a relative to buy it ... 🙂

OK, also maybe for the EJ in sea scheme with ASMs; looks like things aren't looking good for my relatives!

Only the -EJ Kai in the blue camouflage. 8 Squadron markings,

Andy

10 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Upper right corner. 2/3 to right. On top

You mean what's in the red circle? That looks like a short shot to me. Just like on the sprue under it. If you look at the layout and the part numbers, they're all the same.

sMw6YU5.jpg

This sprue at the top is just defective, it shows the under-spreaded Sidewinder case.

Maybe Falcon will be in other time....

B.R.

Serge

2 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

All we need now is an importer to bring them into the UK.

While the F-4EJ could carry... I assume AIM-4s, but I couldn't guarantee they aren't prototype AAM-2s being tested:

spacer.png

I don't think they were used that much.

And if Finemolds were to do AIM-4s, the correct F-4 pylon would help (so far in 1:72 I have only seen the pylons in the early (raised panel line) Hasegawa F-4E / -4EJ kit).

As for the AAM-5: I haven't seen any photos from the test base at Gifu of F-4s carrying them, so I believe they weren't integrated onto the Phantom. But until Hasegawa include AAM-5s in one of their weapons sets, this set will be the first choice for modellers wishing to do an F-15J with a current loadout. So not a bad decision by Finemolds.

Hasegawa didn't include AAM-5s in their comparatively recent Japanese 1:72 weapons set, but they have been included in the latest issue of an ADTW F-2A (the one with ASM-3 missiles😞

spacer.png

So Hasegawa will be able to include them in future issues of the F-15J or a re-release of the JASDF weapons set, if they see fit.

But until they do, the Finemolds set will probably the most easily available and cost effective option to get some.

>Only the -EJ Kai in the blue camouflage. 8 Squadron markings,

spacer.png

And a limited number of aircraft - so far I have seen 305, 306, 312, 331, 354, 362.

To make things worse, the codes and I think most of the stencils have a grey surround. If you want to replicate this, you may want the DXM or Platz aftermarket sheets:

spacer.png

https://dxmdecals.com/shopping/ols/products/172-jasdf-f-4ej-kai-8sq-sea-camouflage

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10082525

Probably cheaper than buying a Hasegawa kit for the decals:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/HA00637

Jonathan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1