1/72 - McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings in 2024

Homebee

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new F-4D Iranian AF boxing
  • 3 weeks later...

New limited edition boxings expected in January 2023

Source: https://www.finemolds.co.jp/2022THS-new.html

- ref. 72743 - McDD F-4J Phantom II - US Navy - USS Midway (CV-41) -1978

Source: https://1999.co.jp/eng/10916684

- ref. 72846 - McDD F-4C Phantom II - USAF - 8th TFW "Wolfpack" - Ubon (Thailand) - 1967

Source: https://1999.co.jp/eng/10916685

10916684b.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new F-4J US Navy & F-4C USAF boxings in January 2023
34 minutes ago, Violet Club said:

All we need now is a F4B and eventually a F4H (never issued as a kit), to complete the Phantom family.

Don't forget the RF's and Spey engined versions. I don't expect them do to the Spey airframes but we could really do with the RF's.

• Like 1

F's, S's, Air Force G's and late E's will require Finemolds to invest in tooling for a slatted wing.

B's (+ Navy G's) and N's will require Finemolds to invest in tooling for a thin wing. I assume an F-4H would need a new front fuselage and intakes as well as the thin wing.

RFs will require investment in tooling for a new wing as well as a new fuselage, as the current wing / fusleage joint is in a location that is a different shape on the recce birds compared to the fighters. Two new wings if they want to do a thin wing RF-4B as well as the thick wing recce variants.

I assume a K could be done with a new fuselage and exhausts, but it wouldn't surprise me if it would need a new wing lower surface as well.

I suspect a slatted wing would be the additional tooling most likely to pay for itself; we will have to wait and see if Finemolds think it is worthwhile expanding their range of F-4s further.

Jonathan.

Edited by Stilwell
Edited for clarification
  • Like 3

In one of the earliest F-4 threads, there was a pic of the planning whiteboard that was the assumed approach/list of versions under consideration.
IIRC the Speys were not seen as realistic (and for the Spey market there are already 1/72 kits)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Anyone in the US know why there's no importer to the Land of the Brave?  Only place I can find them is hobby shops in Japan or on eBay.  Expensive at that.  

Yeah, no idea about that. I got mine from HobbyLink Japan. Fairly painless. Bought a few other things to save on shipping.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Anyone in the US know why there's no importer to the Land of the Brave?  Only place I can find them is hobby shops in Japan or on eBay.  Expensive at that.  

Have no idea. There are no hobby ships in my area whom shelves I could browse so I do most of my buying over the 'net, eBay mostly. Last one I bought was for just under $60 w/shipping. From Poland.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Have no idea. There are no hobby ships in my area whom shelves I could browse so I do most of my buying over the 'net, eBay mostly. Last one I bought was for just under $60 w/shipping. From Poland.

Yeah, that is about what I paid from Japan and I just about passed out.  Not used to paying $60 USD for a 1/72 Phantom.  Guess I was not screwed over after all.  

17 hours ago, Dawsonsauce said:

Yeah, no idea about that. I got mine from HobbyLink Japan. Fairly painless. Bought a few other things to save on shipping.

Got mine from Hobby Search and it was painless as well; however, I couldn't find anything else I really needed to help defray the cost so it seems around $60 USD w/ postage is the going rate.  

3 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Got mine from Hobby Search and it was painless as well; however, I couldn't find anything else I really needed to help defray the cost so it seems around $60 USD w/ postage is the going rate.  

HobbyLinkJapan have resumed Air Parcel and EMS services to the US, check the rates, very affordable and expeditious.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cammer625 said:

There are now cheaper postage option’s available from Japan again (thank the modelling gods as it was killing me) - plazajapan.com you can get 2 EJ delivered to Australia for $89 aud (or about $60). Good seller. 

You have to go to the HLJ shipping page and enter your country and it will give you your options. Canada is still only DHL or Fedex choices. Depending if your country has resumed normal air service to Japan.

• Sad 1

On 9/6/2022 at 1:12 PM, Ad-4N said:

I believe there is an importer of the FM Phantoms in the USA. My local HobbyTown (Atlanta, GA area) has them on the shelf and as far as I know they stock all of their kits from the usual suspect distributors. Whenever I have a special request to order a kit, they always check their different distributers availability first before they tell me that they can order the kit. 

Have fun modeling!

Mike