1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings F4D & E in March 2024

Homebee

On 8/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, Andrés S. said:

Well, the F-4C kit is scheduled to be released in late August, I don't know which versions of the short-nosed Phantom you mean. I

Sorry - I think we have a language challenge ... and  I don't know how much clearer I can be when I said:

The first "edisions"  [sic] of the short noses

all include 2x crew figures, not seat belts ... .

"All" includes the F-4C.  Those crew figures are bonus items in the first batch of each of the short nose kits (in order: F-4J USN, F-4C, F-4D, and F-4J Marines).

The following appears on all the separate short nose pages like for the F-4C you asked about:

First Special Edition Benefits

[First Limited Special Edition] comes with a plastic pilot figure (design and mold production: Tamiya)

Gene K

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Gene K said:

Sorry - I think we have a language challenge ... and  I don't know how much clearer I can be when I said:

"All" includes the F-4C.  Those crew figures are bonus items in the first batch of each of the short nose kits (in order: F-4J USN, F-4C, F-4D, and F-4J Marines).

The following appears on all the separate short nose pages like for the F-4C you asked about:

Have you read the P.D.- what did I write in the last message? I don't think the language is a challenge.

Andrés S.

Edited by Andrés S.
  • Confused 1

Agree that the FM kits are more expensive than the Hasegawa kit (JPY3120 vs JPY2500-2700) but the amount of detail, the finer detail, the kit design, the number of parts and fabulous fit all makes it worth the price.  I am glad FM came in to break Hasegawa's hold in this market.  Hasegawa have gotten lazy and keeps throwing out an aged mould that lacks detail.  However its a clever business model to produce cheap kits from a tired mould and repackage it with new decals.  Collectors who wants a body to paste the decals will go for it.  If you want to collect all the different paint scheme of the F-4, then the Hase boxings are the way to go since its cheap to produce and the price is more affordable than FM's kit.  

FM on the other hand is developing new parts as its product expansion.  No point paying so much for an FM kit to just have different paint schemes and decals.  However collectors who wants an accurate kit with finer detail and a great kit to boot, then FM is the choice.       

And yes, the seat belts and pilots comes as bonus for buying the first edition releases. Subsequent stock refills will not have the bonus parts.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, CasualModel98 said:

Agree that the FM kits are more expensive than the Hasegawa kit (JPY3120 vs JPY2500-2700) but the amount of detail, the finer detail, the kit design, the number of parts and fabulous fit all makes it worth the price.  I am glad FM came in to break Hasegawa's hold in this market.  Hasegawa have gotten lazy and keeps throwing out an aged mould that lacks detail.  However its a clever business model to produce cheap kits from a tired mould and repackage it with new decals.  Collectors who wants a body to paste the decals will go for it.  If you want to collect all the different paint scheme of the F-4, then the Hase boxings are the way to go since its cheap to produce and the price is more affordable than FM's kit.  

FM on the other hand is developing new parts as its product expansion.  No point paying so much for an FM kit to just have different paint schemes and decals.  However collectors who wants an accurate kit with finer detail and a great kit to boot, then FM is the choice.       

And yes, the seat belts and pilots comes as bonus for buying the first edition releases. Subsequent stock refills will not have the bonus parts.

the eBay price listings for the Hasegawa Phantoms from Japan are comparable or higher than the Fine Molds kits at retail.

1 hour ago, Robertone139 said:

the eBay price listings for the Hasegawa Phantoms from Japan are comparable or higher than the Fine Molds kits at retail.

All the more reason to get FM's kit.  That is until and IF Tamiya decides to downscale their 1/48 F-4 to 1/72.

10 hours ago, CasualModel98 said:

That is until and IF Tamiya decides to downscale their 1/48 F-4 to 1/72.

Or outright take out a license and rebox the FM one (who knows - they already do the LE additional crew)

On 8/11/2021 at 8:42 PM, baldwin8 said:

If your J is on it's way, here is what your decal sheet will look like. They have a pic of the C sheet, but not as good.

The decals are nice, and like any good F-4 kits, they have a LOT of stencils...

Beware the longer strips tend to break quite easily.

Also their practice of grouping stencils together in long strips so that you don't have to apply too many small stencils, its a silvering nightmare.  Gotta be extra careful.  You got to make sure you have a glossy surface and let the decal float on a pool of microset/setter or equivalent.  After the decal is dry, I then apply microsol/softer for better adhesion to the panel lines.

A nice and thoughtful thing I noticed is that when you soak the decals, the indication that the decal is ready is when the circle with the decal number float away, but the decal is still on the paper.  You got to remove it from the water then or else the decal too will float after a while.  

Edited by CasualModel98
  • Like 3

I've just done the Karigane in 1/48 which has HUUUUGE decals (especially on the wings), but experienced no silvering. A smooth surface is a must as you say. 

y4mNDN_6IbfCcyLnV1gHvpNdSI04WnxmrdBQD02T

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mack said:

If I want to use the FM F-4E kit as a base for an F-4F what would be the best choice for wing LE replacement? Will the Revell kit do the trick?

Both the Revell and Hasegawa slatted outboard wing parts will do in a pinch.

However, if you want more realistic slats:  since neither Revell nor Hasegawa depict the gap between the slat and the leading edge (even when"retracted"), you'll have to cut off the slats, form replacements, and then mount them on the recontoured leading edge.  If using the Hasegawa parts, you'll also have to trim the strake since the E model differs from the S which Hasegawa uses for both models.  And in both cases, you'll have to relocate that strake into a slot on the slat ... if you want to be entirely correct.

The inboard slat actuators are in both the Revell and Hasegawa kits, so you can just measure those kit's actuator locations, dril/glue the FM wings accordingly. 

Here's a non-finished example (I prefer the Revell outer wings):

aAHzx0nl.jpg

gx1UJSml.jpg

Check out Giorgio's excellent thread where he adds slats to the FM kit to make a late Greek F-4E.

Gene K

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Appears everything is on track for the August 23 shipment (from the factory to hobby shops). :penguin:

E8-4hQdVcAQthXT?format=jpg&name=large

Hopefully the Weapons Sets are not too far behind.

Gene K

Homebee, an FYI:  This thread title has the F-4C/D coming in Sept, but the schedule has been F-4C in August, with the F-4D and F-4J Marines in September.

• Like 5

Just now, Jabba said:

... I have ordered some of [the Weapons Sets] at the same time as ordering the F-4C.

:winkgrin: Me too, but since I use HobbyLink Japan's Private Warehouse, I can ship as many in-stock items as I've ordered at any time. For example, this magazine is in my Private Warehouse awaiting shipping with my F-4Cs:

10775129a.jpg

Since I'm impatient when it comes to Phantoms, I'll select FEDEX ($$) as my shipping method ... my F-4Js arrived here in Florida in three (3!) days from HLJ. I contrast that with my local USPS that takes a week to get a card from me to my neighbors!

Gene K

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Jabba said:

... I have ordered some of [the Weapons Sets] at the same time as ordering the F-4C.

UNFORTUNATELY :sorry:, FineMolds has just announced that both Weapons Sets have been delayed from August shipping to 22 Sep 2021, with the following explanation: 

There is no excuse.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Gene K said:

Mais je suis impatient.

Quae se habet ad bonum ei si universi qui sperant Catapultam habeo!

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Dead languages are the best!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1