1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings F4D & E in March 2024

Homebee

7 hours ago, Gene K said:

The FM set (to me) is worth the cost since it includes an assortment of pylons and suspension equipment. 

That is my main reason for getting the air to air set.  I like to have my options open on what i want to hang on my builds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gene K said:

Interesting that there are two nose cones. The P sprue with the left front fuselage is probably a sprue common to the J kit ... which means one could use that nose cone (after shaving off the J antenna) to model a slick nose D. Nice.

At least two new nose cones. I'm assuming the big hole in the sprue tool over to the right of the photo that heads this page of the thread is also a nose cone.

This is probably the sprue shown in balwin8's post from 21 April (that post shows the same sprue twice, after and before detailed machining).

But it isn't Sprue P.

And it isn't the other sprue with a nose cone photographed in the post that shows sprue P, but which I can't read the letter from due to camera shake,

So maybe there will be another F-4D specific nose cone?

Jonathan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stilwell said:

I'm assuming the big hole in the sprue tool over to the right of the photo that heads this page of the thread is also a nose cone.

Those are J model sprues, including the one posted by Craig on the previous page.  So we have a J model Nose

And it isn't the other sprue with a nose cone ...  which I can't read the letter from  ... .

That is undoubtedly (:wonder:) a common F-4C and D sprue, and is shown with an attached C model specific sprue. By replacing that specific sprue with D model parts (nose fairing and instrument panels), we have F-4C and F-4D noses.  Could even include the Herpes fairing in a future release.

But it isn't Sprue P.

Sprue P may be common to the F-4C, D, and J (short intake ECM fairings). So that could be the third nose you alluded to -- possibly a slick F-4D nose? :rolleyes:

Fun sleuthing and guessing, I think, Jonathan. :thumbsup:

Gene K

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Sprue P may be common to the F-4C, D, and J (short intake ECM fairings). So that could be the third nose you alluded to -- possibly a slick F-4D nose? :rolleyes:

Fun sleuthing and guessing, I think, Jonathan. :thumbsup:

Gene K

The other 2 sprues appear to be S and T. Ive been trying to keep track of all the sprues and what goes with each issue.

18 different letters so far, 19 if you count L1 and L2 for the 2 different stabilators so far.

Adrian

• Like 1

Was there not a question that the front canopy was different between the long and short nose versions ? If so would Finemolds do a new one ?

Regards

Robert

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Was there not a question that the front canopy was different between the long and short nose versions ? If so would Finemolds do a new one ?

Yes and yes - the windscreen is on a separate transparent sprue (or at least a separate area of the transparent sprue) from the rest of the canopy, allowing easy selection of the appropriate windscreen length for the variant being kitted.

Jonathan.

Edited by Stilwell
Edited for clarification
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Robert said:

From FM c/o Hobby Search:

bzlYFme.jpg

Gene K

EDIT: The red dotted ovals are for the Instrument Panels and the blue dotted oval is for the Refueling Probe - the rest should be self explanatory, I think. The J model intake ECM fairings are not shown in the diagram above, but will be in the kit as an option.

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 7

Preview of some parts and kit information for the upcoming Shizuoka show. Those exhaust look amazing. Summer/Fall release of the C/D/J models.

dTbQClo.jpg

DZNvd6Y.jpg

MYrrLk3.jpg

zWQR2SB.jpg

StWRov0.jpg

• Like 4

On 4/27/2021 at 7:44 PM, Adrian W65 said:

The other 2 sprues appear to be S and T. Ive been trying to keep track of all the sprues and what goes with each issue.

18 different letters so far, 19 if you count L1 and L2 for the 2 different stabilators so far.

Adrian

Adrian,

Craig's last post showing some of the sprues should help your sprue database!!!  👍 Since the show for which the sprue displays are being prepared is only 8 days away, we should shortly have some really good material to mentally build the short nose models. :penguin:

PM sent.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 8:44 PM, Adrian W65 said:

Ive been trying to keep track of all the sprues and what goes with each issue. 18 different letters so far, 19 if you count L1 and L2 for the 2 different stabilators so far.

An entirely new alphabet will be needed if British variants are planned..............  😆

3 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

An entirely new alphabet will be needed if British variants are planned..............  😆

Fear not - the Japanese language has two alphabets to choose from. And then there are the Kanji characters....

I'm intrigued that the F-4J interior panels are on a separate sprue from the USN common sprue. I'm not saying that is evidence of a plan for an F-4B (despite needing another  new sprue for the inboard wing parts, main gear doors and main wheels), but it will be more efficient to kit an F-4B (or F-4N) if they decide to. Or an F-4S, if they decide to do new sprues for the inboard and outboard wing parts with leading edge slats.

Although I'm not sure how different the F-4S interior panels are from the F-4J, but knowing Fine Molds, it wouldn't surprise me if they are different enough to justify a different sprue. 

Jonathan.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stilwell said:

a plan for an F-4B ... Or an F-4S...

Yes please, but especially an F-4S, given that in my optimism I imagine that Tamiya will release an F-4B/N in 1/72.

https://t.co/hGPbsfCQu1 https://t.co/YQbMF1FTR4" 

Doesn't show much as regards sprues, but I found it interesting in that it shows FM's attention to detail. :clap2:

The machine translation is:

The plant chief said, "I carved a mold separately because the seat seat is different between the navy type (J type) of the F-4 and the Air Force type (C type & D type)"...

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 3

It appears most of us following this thread know the differences between the long and short nose versions, as well as the differences between USAF and USN short nose versions, so here's some detail that FM is presenting for the short noses:

Fuselage

E021KZLUYAAHyOC?format=jpg&name=medium

Wheels:

E02s1OxVUAADJ7t?format=jpg&name=medium

Windscreen:

E01qb1nVcAAQ8B3?format=jpg&name=900x900

Vertical Stabilator:

E009KBNVgAMi2cG?format=jpg&name=medium

Thank goodness those seams are gone!

I'm particularly impressed with FMs attention to the windscreen. Wish they'd have paid more attention to the Speed Brakes :deadhorse:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Schemes : https://www.facebook.com/finemolds.co.jp/posts/3950646681716306

- ref. FP43S - McDD F-4J Phantom II - US NAVY - VF-114 "Aardvark" - release August 2021

- ref. FP46S - McDD F-4C Phantom II - Air National Guard - 171st FIS - release August 2021

- ref. FP47S - McDD F-4D Phantom II - USAF - 4th TFW "First MiG Ace" - release September 2021

- ref. 72843 - McDD F-4J Phantom II - US Marines - VMFAT-101 "Marlins" - release September 2021

184621562-3950644548383186-9021738608662

184387694-3950644605049847-4256177908889

184611363-3950644615049846-3083752190855

184480703-3950644901716484-8764775745105

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Two noses for the D model, as speculated.

Love this option. As well for the D version have both styles RHAWS antenna on the fin cap. The rounded blunt ended version more common later in the aircraft service life. Absolute attention to detail. The RAT door seam looking to be represented by a red stripe decal.

• Like 2

At the Shizuoka Hobby Show 2021

Source: https://hobby.dengeki.com/event/1253029/

DSC-1326-HZw-RUUR9g08z-Gb-IHBJNLcyj58-Xi

- ref. FP43S - McDD F-4J Phantom II - US NAVY - VF-114 "Aardvark" - release August 2021

a37e2696bcb0dca1dbe7860ef00af46f-Rswh-W4
DSC-1328-4jm-M9frem-Zy-VQc-Vj-FZTv0-MM4r

DSC-1329-Hjya-Oz-rjlqv-Z6x-Gf-W5mp-El-Lx

- ref. FP47S - McDD F-4D Phantom II - USAF - 4th TFW "First MiG Ace" - release September 2021

cc758c94e21f2cedf11447fa2cf9ddb0-os-YUmx
DSC-1332-YZ694di-Xq-X5-Fbyo6-T7y-QEzdk-B

DSC-1333-HDEm-v35i-J9kg-DGz-IT0-BYb-E3-O

- ref. FP46S - McDD F-4C Phantom II - Air National Guard - 171st FIS - release August 2021

0261f7ca14f1749ce2ee3cc609078c63-WESO4x-
DSC-1330-Yh-Tz-Q7-Ig-DWQTw-BVJyspz-WUS5w

DSC-1331-0g-Eek7-Ujzzmvxq-YFP9-Ij-HORic-

- ref. 72843 - McDD F-4J Phantom II - US Marines - VMFAT-101 "Marlins" - release September 2021

9c3f40c966642a6f4e2349329d76e1da-Oa1-K0z
DSC-1334-CYPKz4vj-Desha-ELS9-EBfz-e-ZOGj

DSC-1335-JXWUpb0u-Gis-JS-czm-Cnqky-0b-YM

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2