1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings F4D & E in March 2024

Homebee

On 6/23/2021 at 1:00 AM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I am afraid that the chances of such a kit are virtually none.

Gah! Please, no.... !

I hope the fact that Tamiya has released new kits in 72nd scale in recent times is an indication that a Tamiya F-4B will eventuate. Although Hasegawa's kit 01566 is still available, it's basically the only thin-wing Phantom in town (I'm not counting the Fujimi kit because it seems quite hard to locate), Academy only did an F-4J in this scale and we've not seen an indication (yet!) that Fine Molds will follow their initial short-nose Phantoms with a -B/N variant.

I may be letting optimism get the better of me, but I think that it's a bit premature to discount the possibility of a Tamiya 1/72 F-4B.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I hope the fact that Tamiya has released new kits in 72nd scale in recent times is an indication that a Tamiya F-4B will eventuate.

If you want to approach things romantically and dreamily, then of course you can draw these conclusions. If you want to take a realistic approach, then unfortunately, there is no connection between the release of simplified Ki-61 and Bf 109G-6 kits and the potential release of the F-4B model.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I may be letting optimism get the better of me, but I think that it's a bit premature to discount the possibility of a Tamiya 1/72 F-4B.

In the last 20 years, Tamiya has only released one kit of a modern jet aircraft in 1/72 scale and that was the F-16CJ model. They have only released two jet kits in the 20th century - the Douglas F4D-1 Skyray in 1998 and the Republic F-84G Thunderjet in 1999.

Besides, another Japanese company is just now releasing the entire F-4 family, why would Tamiya make an F-4 kit and on top of that a B version that has no connection to Japan?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Besides, another Japanese company is just now releasing the entire F-4 family, why would Tamiya make an F-4 kit

Do we know that Fine Molds is venturing into thin-wing Phantom territory? I'll happily buy one if they do, and one from Tamiya as well if they see fit...

2 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

and on top of that a B version that has no connection to Japan?

Presumably for the same reasons that they've elected to produce a kit of that variant in 48th. Might have something to do with substantial numbers based in Japan with USN and USMC units.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Do we know that Fine Molds is venturing into thin-wing Phantom territory?

If you are asking about the F-4B version, it was on the original Japanese Fine Molds spread shown earlier in this thread. Along with the F-4N, if I remember correctly.

20 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Presumably for the same reasons that they've elected to produce a kit of that variant in 48th.

I'm sorry, but the industry does not work that way. Each scale is a separate set of different factors. Something that makes sense at one scale does not make sense at another. Each company has its own calculations and that's why some don't produce something in a certain scale, even though modellers think it would be a great deal. 

This, by the way, is very noticeable when you analyse the number of new tool kits year after year, broken down by scale, subject and so on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

If you are asking about the F-4B version, it was on the original Japanese Fine Molds spread shown earlier in this thread. Along with the F-4N, if I remember correctly.

Okay, I found a picture on Twitter of notes on a whiteboard that appears to be what you're referring to. I remain unconvinced that Fine Molds are doing thin-wing Phantoms (or the "entire F-4 family" for that matter) at this point.

6 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I'm sorry, but the industry does not work that way...

Thanks for sharing your analysis of the industry. Nevertheless, my comment was addressing what you wrote, not what you meant.

And strangely, despite the back and forth, I would still like to see Tamiya release an F-4B in 1/72.

For the sake of relevance to this thread, I will be super chuffed if Fine Molds do one too. I would genuinely buy one (at least one) of each.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

I'm sorry, but the industry does not work that way. Each scale is a separate set of different factors. Something that makes sense at one scale does not make sense at another. Each company has its own calculations and that's why some don't produce something in a certain scale, even though modellers think it would be a great deal. 

This, by the way, is very noticeable when you analyse the number of new tool kits year after year, broken down by scale, subject and so on.

...like Tamiya did with the F4D-1 Skyray?🤔

Be nice if Fine Molds do a B, I'm still hoping they will cover British Phantoms but that is stretch I guess!

39 minutes ago, 71chally said:

...like Tamiya did with the F4D-1 Skyray?🤔

Tamiya released the Skyray in 1998, so the decision to design it must have been made somewhere in 1996, a quarter of a century ago. Those were very different times in every respect - financially, technologically, logistically. Above all, it was a time of issuing many more new tool kits. Here's a breakdown of all scales new tool aircraft vs vehicles:

• 1990-1999 - 29 vs 156 - 1 : 5.38 ratio
  • 2000-2009 - 19 vs 112 - 1 : 5.89 ratio
  • 2010-2019 - 15 vs 99 - 1 : 6.60 ratio
  • since 2020 - 1 vs 12 - 1 : 12 ratio

• 2 weeks later...

Included along side their late summer releases of short nose Phantoms, you will find these Finemolds weapon sets irresistible. 

5JXmOrT.jpg

0TU78Gg.jpg

zc8LVCG.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I am fixing the F-4E from FM.  Its a great kit but the decals are a night mare for me.

They are nice and thin but they break or crack easily.  This is using water and not even any decal solution.

p?i=51e3689e7dd59083ca53f352bb0af419&ful

p?i=ed09469d075c0da32dc2154cd9c93035&ful

And Finemold decided to make strips of decals to join a couple of stencils together. I understand this is to aid the placement of the stencils and also to save us from having to process too many small decals.  However they are a silvering nightmare if not done properly.

p?i=f819c15901d9fdf53cf0d6553df7b136&ful

Silvering!!!

p?i=775a468877ee0ac15cc1503c760a987c&ful

I lost a couple of the decals in my effort to fix the silvering.  They are very fragile and once dried, is almost impossible to refloat them with water.  They break or curl up.

This is driving me nuts.

So I have no choice but to cut the decals into smaller stencils and apply them one by one.

Edited by CasualModel98
Repasting photos
  • Like 6

What I do now is to cut the decals into individual stencils.  

Soak them to make sure they are wet like for 10 seconds.

Wait for a minute till the decal loosen from the paper backing.

Wick any excess water away using a piece of tissue paper.

Apply a drop of Mr.Mark Setter on the area I wish to apply the decal.

Use a fine tweezer to carefully pick the decal from the paper and put it on the decal solution.

I make sure the decal float on top of the decal solution. I carefully wick away if too much solution and leave enough to still be able to adjust the decal.

Once set, I wick away the rest of the decal solution.

I let it dry, I don't even use a cotton bud to press it down.

In the past when I used a cotton bud to press it down, it silvered quite badly.  I leave it to the decal solution to dry and suck it down.

This I saw gave me the best effect.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

^^ That's how I treat them too (except for the Mr.Mark).  Working on the FM Karigane and I noticed the same.

I find using just water always causes silvering.  I read about using Klear but I found that to be less effective.  Some modellers swear by it, says it grabs the decal and suck it in.  For me the decal just seem to float on top of the Klear and keep sliding around.  It does not "grab" or "suck down" the decal.

Thanks, Homebee. I hope the other August releases (C model and Weapons Sets) are not too far behind the J so I can ship all of them from my HLJ private Warehouse at the same time ... if I can wait!  :thumbsup:

Gene K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 10:46 AM, CasualModel98 said:

I find using just water always causes silvering.  I read about using Klear but I found that to be less effective.  Some modellers swear by it, says it grabs the decal and suck it in.  For me the decal just seem to float on top of the Klear and keep sliding around.  It does not "grab" or "suck down" the decal.

I'm sure you are placing them on to a gloss surface. I am about half way through decaling my oceanic camo F-4 and did wonder how the multi-linked decals would go on. However, I glossed over the paint with brushed on Klear, dip the decals for 10 seconds then just slide them onto the model with a brush which has only a little Klear on it. So far no silvering at all and they look painted on, but I haven't yet washed off the decal adhesive.

In all seriousness I wonder if it's down to the quality of the water - or rather the mineral content; I'm in a UK hard water area.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2021 at 5:46 AM, CasualModel98 said:

If I remember correctly, some modellers put a drop(very small) of dishwash soap to the water to break the surface tension of the water. I've never had the problem but as @iainpeden mentioned, possibly the hardness of the water a culprit.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4E/EJ & J released - F-4C/D in September 2021
1 hour ago, Andrés S. said:

... after seeing the images of the F-4J boxes: does anyone know if the F-4C kit also includes seat belts?

Also?  The first "edisions"  [sic] of the short noses all include 2x crew figures, not seat belts (those are available as separate purchases). My personal opinion: save your money -- too little for too many yen.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2

On 06/08/2021 at 22:19, Gene K said:

Also?  The first "edisions"  [sic] of the short noses all include 2x crew figures, not seat belts (those are available as separate purchases). My personal opinion: save your money -- too little for too many yen.

Gene K

Well, the F-4C kit is scheduled to be released in late August, I don't know which versions of the short-nosed Phantom you mean. I ask about the F-4C kits and if anyone knows that they will also bring the belts since the F-4J does bring them (or so I think I see in the lower right part of the boxart )

Andrés S.

P.D.- After taking a closer look at the image, it is certainly that of the pilots and not that of the seat belts ...:rolleyes:

Edited by Andrés S.