1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings F4D & E in March 2024

Homebee

28 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

.......so were the RF-4C's ........... or was it a simple choice between the original tanks and the high g ones

Here is a Nebraska RF-4C at Lincoln in 1988 with the F-15 tank. To mount the later tank a fitting was installed amongst other changes I assume. Both my photos.

NfKkCOq.jpg

onJ38OD.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, iainpeden said:

However 66-0243 (with the F-15 tank) is an F-4D  ... .

Gulp ... sorry.  :confused:

...  about the F-15 tanks; I know that E's and G's used them, we have proof that the D was capable, so were the RF-4C's or "ordinary" (not a word usually associated with St Louis' finest) F-4C's capable of carrying them or was it a simple choice between the original tanks and the high g ones or, more simply, were the C's gone by the time the F-15 tank was introduced?

According to The Jennings (highly regarded former BM member) in this thread, "All ANG F-4Cs and Ds carried the F-15 tank toward the end of their lives".   The Jennings also states the tanks came in the mid eighties (I have also read late seventies), and that the RF's did carry them (see pictures on page 1 of that thread).

full?d=1521496177

106th_Reconnaissance_Squadron_McDonnell_

I found pictures of ANG F-4Cs carrying the F-15 CL Tank, like this Oregon single tank configuration:

bb03651bda10967ee45a58ccb0d796cd.jpg

Gene K

EDIT: Going through Don Logan's "F-4 Phantom IIs of the USAF Reserve and Air National Guard", I spotted F-4Cs with F-15 CL tanks with units in Arizona, California and Indiana as well as Oregon above.

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

As Finemolds finishes it's work on the short nose F-4 Phantoms for release later this summer, enjoy some great photos and history of the Michigan aircraft featured on the F-4C release. Great references.

Click on the F-4 Phantom tags to direct you to individual posts.

https://oldsargesaircraft.blogspot.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

FM has just posted individual product pages for the F-4J as well as the F-4C . Nothing really new as regards info or photos, but the scale drawings will show up on these pages when released.

From the looks of the both test builds, the back seater needs his seat raised ... a whole bunch!!!!!  :nod:  Curious since the kit's rear floor is raised the appropriate amount, and the seats are identical in height.

spacer.png

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

On 6/4/2021 at 8:27 AM, Gene K said:

FM has just posted individual product pages for the F-4J as well as the F-4C . Nothing really new as regards info or photos, but the scale drawings will show up on these pages when released.

From the looks of the both test builds, the back seater needs his seat raised ... a whole bunch!!!!!  :nod:  Curious since the kit's rear floor is raised the appropriate amount, and the seats are identical in height.

spacer.png

Gene K

Yoda?

• Haha 5

On 6/5/2021 at 5:57 PM, Mike Esposito said:

Can't wait for the C! I hope we will see a F-4D with Falcons! 

The D model is coming in September, but you'll have to source the Falcons separately ... as from the FM FP44 set which included four Falcons AND the appropriate pylons!.

1345366-33356-64-pristine.jpg

Gene K

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Hmmm. Now it's getting pricey. 

OTOH there is some stuff inside:

• 4× AIM-4 Falcon
  • 4× AIM-4 Falcon Rack
  • 4× AIM-7E Sparrow
  • 4× AIM-9B Sidewinder
  • 4× AIM-9D/G/H Sidewinder
  • 4× AIM-9E Sidewinder
  • 4× Weapon Pylon
  • 2× 20mm SUU-16A Gun Pod (Air Force)
  • 2× LAU-34/A Launcher
  • 2× AGM-12 Bullpup (Small)
  • 2× AN/ALQ-87 ECM Pod
  • 2× AN/ALQ-119 ECM Pod

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

Sure hope Craig B doesn't see this...........

Too late........SEEN. But on this picture they appear to show the Horizontal Stab triangular patches as decals??? So they are not going to make the different Stabs like they did for the EJs? 

eRRrLzQ.jpg?1

• Like 2

6 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

... they appear to show the Horizontal Stab triangular patches as decals???

Good catch. That's a surprise, but I have thin reinforcements courtesy of my Silhouette cutter. :nod:

Do you think there's a chance the non-standard wing walkways could actually be factual? I couldn't find ANY photos showing walkways other than the standard.

spacer.png

I assume the same guy worked on the decals for the other FM models, and he got those  right.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2

https://tinyurl.com/56hb9dwc

Google Translation: "If you look at the image of this tweet and think "?", You're a phantom enthusiast. The dark gray shape that indicates the "walkway" area at the base of the main wing is different from the usual one, which was found in some of the Michigan ANG aircraft to be reproduced this time. The source is from the February 1983 issue of Koku Fan".

I'm skeptical, so hope to see the pictures. If true, kudos to the FM researcher responsible! :thumbsup: 

It certainly is a small item, but hopefully FM decals will include standard walkways applicable the other markings.

Gene K

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Gene K said:

It certainly is a small item, but hopefully FM decals will include standard walkways applicable the other markings.

If not, there'll be nothing left than painting them on. Oh good, that's what I do already.... :winkgrin: :D  :D  

Ciao

• Like 2

Hi everyone!

I apologise if this was discussed here already - but is that possible to make an Israeli F-4E out of any kits released by Finemolds by now? Or better wait a bit for the probable dedicated IDF box?

Thanks,

Dennis

12 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Hi everyone!

I apologise if this was discussed here already - but is that possible to make an Israeli F-4E out of any kits released by Finemolds by now? Or better wait a bit for the probable dedicated IDF box?

Thanks,

Dennis

Hoi Dennis,

You can build the earlier F-4Es that the IDF/AF flew.  Hard wing with both the original or longer gun muzzle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1