1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings F4D & E in March 2024

Homebee

Sorry if this has already been asked (I was too lazy to go back over 25 pages of this thread) but do we know if there are plans for Spey-powered versions? It sure looks like they are intending to hit all marks and become the king of 1:72 Spookdom.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Sorry if this has already been asked (I was too lazy to go back over 25 pages of this thread) but do we know if there are plans for Spey-powered versions?

Take away of this what you want. Was Tweeted by Finemolds not too long ago, and a loose translation of the British versions listed at the very bottom.

British -- Gimme a break

kDcgLCE.jpg

6 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

The Fine Molds kits are sadly a bit out of my reach price-wise, but if it leads to the Hasegawa C/Ds being offloaded on eBay, I won't be too disappointed.

I did get the Hobby2000 C/D Oyster reboxes, but I'm keeping those :P 

Since AMS has the FMs listed for preorder, I may have let my finger slip and ordered some. 

• Haha 1

The box art for the J and D models look great, but this photo for the C model is rather uninspiring.

SAyfkK8.jpg

Hopefully it's a placeholder  until a proper painting is finished ... something like this:

BvuGt3S.jpg

Gene K

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, CasualModel98 said:

Is it just me or is the boxart a bit meh and not as nice as the F4E?

Assuming that photo is the box art for the F-4C ( I haven't seen the box yet, just that promo photo they showed ), it's about as inspiring as this one for the EJ. The F-4E is a bit different as they have used art work instead of a photo, which they have used for all the rest of their Phantoms.

4536318720379_79d0edd47e3256ccaaf083affe

8 minutes ago, CasualModel98 said:

I meant the F-4D and F-4J both of which are paintings but quite meh looking...

I wouldn't want to be GIB in the J. Looks about to hit the drink.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CasualModel98 said:

I quite like the F-4D one. The F-4J one is a bit weird.

Anyone know where in the USA you can pick up the F-4EJKai or any of the Fine Molds Phantoms that have been released?  It seems they are only available in Japan?  I tried HLJ.com but was too slow.  

53 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

It seems they are only available in Japan?  I tried HLJ.com but was too slow.  

Available in Europe too, I can buy them in Poland.

I have no idea about time and delivery cost but they have some F-4s
https://www.plazajapan.com/categories/plastic-model/fine-molds/aircraft/

51 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

....where in the USA you can pick up the F-4EJKai or any of the Fine Molds Phantoms that have been released?

Your correct, Japan seems to be your only option. Finemolds, previously a very niche company that supplied Japanese oriented hobby products, has had their global modelling profile raised with recent releases but expansion of their distribution has not caught up with product line. They do re-release their kits but if you want it now, you will have to go the Japanese supplier route. Their are very reputable Ebayers based in Japan as an option as well.

3 minutes ago, baldwin8 said:

Maybe @Piotr Mikolajski can provide more details.

In truth, there is not much to explain. The Polish importer imports Fine Molds kits, so they are available both in his own shop and in other model shops. Most of them do not keep such kits in stock, but accept orders and send the package after a few days.

https://www.hhkits.com/product-category/72as/

https://ksmodel.pl/sklep/szukaj/str/1/producent/65

https://www.mojehobby.pl/catalog/Samoloty.html?search_attr_1=1%3A72&search_producer[1837250]=t

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CasualModel98 said:

As for the J model box art: not sure about the rear fins on the AIM-9 (L model?); and Giorgio will attest that the alignment of the holes on the splitter plate is definitely off, for starters.

But it is a dramatic situation depicted :worry: 

Gene K

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

As for the J model box art: not sure about the rear fins on the AIM-9 (L model?); and Giorgio will attest that the alignment of the holes on the splitter plate is definitely off, for starters.

But it is a dramatic situation depicted :worry: 

Gene K

Out of curiosity, HLJ didn't put that box art on the item on their website. Probably they aren't convinced either, or it was provisional.... :shrug: 

Anyway: yes, the splitter plates holes are way off, and the AIM-9s rear fins look like they were on steroid :D 

But, on the real model, the splitter plates are an absolute dream (this is from the F-4EJ boxing):

51138472348_7b5481c120_b.jpg

Ciao

• Like 2

As we're commenting on the box art there are 2 points on the Michigan F-4C I'd question. First is the large aerial depicted on the spine - I know some Phantoms carried that aerial, not sure what it was, but know somebody will, but I can't find any photos of Michigan a/c with it. The second is the inclusion of the centre (center?) line tank rather than 2 wing tanks which seems to be the more usual fit -again I can't find pictures to prove it.

However I am just about to start my F-4EJ in Oceanic camo and have a C and a J on order - stunning kit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

As we're commenting on the box art there are 2 points on the Michigan F-4C I'd question. First is the large aerial depicted on the spine - I know some Phantoms carried that aerial, not sure what it was, but know somebody will, but I can't find any photos of Michigan a/c with it. The second is the inclusion of the centre (center?) line tank rather than 2 wing tanks which seems to be the more usual fit -again I can't find pictures to prove it.

However I am just about to start my F-4EJ in Oceanic camo and have a C and a J on order - stunning kit.

The only possible box art shown for the F-4C kit I've seen is this photo, is there another I've missed? Or are you referring to the art work Gene K posted, which has nnothing to do with the Fine Molds kit? If so the guy that painted it is a very talented artist but probably not a Phantom expert, so I wouldn't worry about the small details not being correct.

0261f7ca14f1749ce2ee3cc609078c63-WESO4x-

... the inclusion of the centre (center?) line tank rather than 2 wing tanks which seems to be the more usual fit -again I can't find pictures to prove it.

Here's a pic of a Michigan bird with three tanks - obviously the airplane had a long way to go to get to that airshow.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/McDonnell-F-4C-Phantom-II/529013/L

and here's a single McD F-15 centerline tank (higher G limit than original tanks)

VQucqzm.jpg

And this revised FM boxart confirms the CL tank carriage: 

spacer.png

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iainpeden said:

......the inclusion of the centre (center?) line tank rather than 2 wing tanks which seems to be the more usual fit -again I can't find pictures to prove it.

Good news, with both the C and D kits you will get a pair of wing tanks and both early and later type center tanks.  That is an odd antenna arrangement on the spine of the Michigan bird. The long angled one almost appears to be a VHF but will yield to someone with better knowledge of military antenna/com.

• Like 3

@Gene K - thanks as ever.

However 66-0243 (with the F-15 tank) is an F-4D which I picked up initially because of the ADC Gray radome. So my next question is about the F-15 tanks; I know that E's and G's used them, we have proof that the D was capable, so were the RF-4C's or "ordinary" (not a word usually associated with St Louis' finest) F-4C's capable of carrying them or was it a simple choice between the original tanks and the high g ones or, more simply, were the C's gone by the time the F-15 tank was introduced?

Edit: I have just had another look at that F-4C at Mildenhall - she had been flown in as a BDR airframe and ended her days at Lakenheath. She was the highlight of the show and certainly had had a long flight - right across the pond.

• Like 1