1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings F4D & E in March 2024

Homebee

For those who, like me, have never been interested in F-4EJ, can we make F-4E without major modifications? 

Or will the story be repeated as with the F-4F from Revell, when on the way of those who wanted to make it the F-4E there were differences in the tail?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

I’m just intuitively

afraid that they will follow the way of Revell and everything will end on F-4EJ .....

2 hours ago, Aardvark said:

... can we make F-4E without major modifications? 

Serge,

Yes, the F-4EJ is a hard wing F-4E. The F-4EJ Kai, however, has additional antennae and housings that would require surgery, as for example, the wing tips, vertical stab tips, and radome.

The Revell 1/72 F-4F (and RF) kit that you mentioned is a big missed opportunity for Revell, given all its shape problems (but marvelous engineering).

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2

I've often wondered about the JASDF stenciling on their F-4s and perhaps all of the their aircraft. The small yellow symbols that seem to populate the aircraft. Going through some photos, a good view of one section makes it a bit more clear now. The yellow symbol in this photos appears to me as tow tractor. My assumptions on this is a requirement for structural panels to be installed before towing/jacking.

RuMVnGA.jpg

I'm sure the decals will be good for this as well. Thanks to @Gene K for keeping a heads up for updates.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, oggy4u said:

So , its possible to make an F-4E from the F-4EJ ? What's a hardwing , please ?

A hard wing is the wing without the leading edge slats.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, oggy4u said:

What's a hardwing , please ?

Sorry - - the F-4 was first produced with a wing that had leading edge FLAPS that were hinged on the bottom of the wing.  That's a "hard wing"

Later models like the  USN F-4S and the late model F-4Es had  leading edge SLATS which extended forward, creating airflow spaces between the slats and the wing. That's a "slatted wing".

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gene K said:

From FineMolds - Main Gear Doors:

I've been checking the FineMolds site and Twitter feed but I did not come across this image, thank you. Liking the detail they are adding into the wheel well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

More images from Fine Molds staff in this video. Jump the 1:42.00 mark.

https://tinyurl.com/ydgdmc6e

Thanks!

I took some some screen shots (in the name of free publicity):

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 18.12.20

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 18.10.14

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 18.10.08

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 18.09.08

Screenshot 2020-05-18 at 18.10.47

Seems like there are no separate air brakes. But the intakes look interesting.

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iainpeden said:

I wonder if the holes in the underwing where the catapult hooks go if fitted suggest we might see an F-4J.

Sure seems that way doesn't it?

Jay

I am having real problems trying to post - evidently Imugr doesn't like me today ... so let's see what happens.  :pray:

There are several group videos showing up with sprue shots -- this is the video I'm addressing. Sprue shots start at 30:17 and run to 45:02 where the discussion turns to the "supplemental" kits -- the metal Pitot and Ram Air Bellows tubes, and the Armament set.

The good detail shots start with the interior of the Aux Doors and include the details Mountain Goat posted plus more like this - the separate fuselage spine piece containing the fuel cell access panels and the Air Refueling Door:

d0ADz8K.png

Appears the fuselage top sprues were not yet available, so I'm looking forward to that! 

The only (minor) disappointment I have is the lack of separate speed brakes, but that's minor considering what appears to be an outstanding kit!

The "new" FM F-14 has it's own page, so I'm looking forward to the Phantoms having the same.

Gene K

• Like 3

5 hours ago, iainpeden said:

I wonder if the holes in the underwing where the catapult hooks go if fitted suggest we might see an F-4J.

Sure looks like the right location:

yahq9aae

J, B, N, S ... then C, D, RF,  then ... . :penguin:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Gene K said:

J, B, N ... then C, D, RF,  then ... . :penguin:

The fact they grouped the F-15 style fuel tank, inboard pylon and fuselage top centre section on one sprue sure seems hopeful. Why sit on a gold mine and not mine it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baldwin8 said:

The fact they grouped the F-15 style fuel tank, inboard pylon and fuselage top centre section on one sprue sure seems hopeful.

Astute observation ...

helped by the fact that we want it to be so.

Gene K

Edit. Note that the  same sprue also has the filler for the bridle hook space... to add to your premise.

PEtMkSL.jpg

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

In addition to the  previously posted tank mold,  I pulled these shots of horizontal stab(s) at 37:26 of the video link I posted earlier :

ALZtxYq.png

QqExGXP.png

The other thumbnail (third from top) wasn't spoken to by the presenter, so no screenshot. I can't make which molds they are.

So the "intriguing" question is -- are those the top and bottom of the same slotted stab ... or two stabs - one with triangular reinforcing plate, and the other without?  

Hmmmm. ... F-4S stab have reinforcements?

:idea:

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, iainpeden said:

...  a pair of slatted tailplanes ... .

A small technical point, if I may  - the stabs have slots (fixed), not slats (moveable).

Gene K

5 hours ago, Gene K said:

A small technical point, if I may  - the stabs have slots (fixed), not slats (moveable).

Gene K

Weren't they added to the original stabs (I'll use the USA terminology) design which means that the original design had a smaller area than the newer design?

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Weren't they added to the original stabs (I'll use the USA terminology) design which means that the original design had a smaller area than the newer design?

Slats and slots are not "USA terminology", rather they are long standing (standardized) aerodynamic terms.

The F-4 slotted stabs, as far as I know, were manufactured as such, but I do not know the technicalities of the manufacturing process. However, the leading edges were not an "add on" done at any other level -- again, as far as I know. The F-4E stab is not just a flat piece of honeycomb and metal, but rather an integrated, somewhat complex inverted airfoil shape to aid in pulling the tail down (thus lifting the nose as for takeoff). Its effectiveness was attested to by stab tip scrapes when some experienced Phantom pilots first flew the F-4E and slightly over-rotated on takeoff (the nose came up earlier and faster than previous models).

If you have definitive knowledge of the slotted stab manufacturing process,  I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks,

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

I think Iain means that 'stabs' is s US term, tailplane being the British term.

Agree, it's a slotted tailplane, the other one that gets me on Phantoms is leading edge, or nose, flaps being described as slats.