1/72 - McDD (R)F-4C/D/J/E/EJ Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings F4D & E in March 2024

Homebee

On 7/9/2020 at 2:49 PM, 71chally said:

Looking at the parts breakdown (particularly the separate rear fuselage), does anyone here think that a F-4K/M might be a possibility in the long run?

Theoretically perhaps, but I don't think it will happen. The complex fuselage differences alone mean it would be effectively a new kit. But never say never.

Jay

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

The complex fuselage differences alone mean it would be effectively a new kit. 

Not to mention the wing differences ... . It would have to  essentially be a new kit as Jay suggested.

Gene K

• Like 2

One could produce a F-4K/M out of this, but can sell it to those modelers who think they are all the same Phantoms, which are absolutely not. Many people would turn their heads away with it, so I don't think RAF and RM Phantoms will come out of the same tooling.

1 hour ago, baldwin8 said:

more images for discussion.

QHBibG7.jpg

Any clue as to what that is?

The detail on the gun covering is outstanding ... I'm curious to see how the Black Dog M61 will fit. 

JqWL7ES.jpg

The gun access door [that covered the gun mechanism, not the barrels] was usually open on Pre-flight so the pilot could check the rounds counter. The panel line for that door is missing so far in the molds ... at this point.

jY0oMlt.jpg

Gene K

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

The detail on the gun covering is outstanding ... I'm curious to see how the Black Dog M61 will fit.

My wildest guess is not working today. Looking at the number on the sprue for comparison, it seems very small.

That kit the Black Dog uses for example looks so crude now doesn't it.

Thanks again, Craig.

I've of course been doing a "virtual build" as the sprues are being developed. My only challenge has been cutting away the parts which on the real airplane start to droop as hydraulic pressure bleeds down after shutdown, namely the ailerons and speed brakes.  [Lest I be misunderstood -- I am not complaining!!  I appreciate FineMolds as a company and really am thankful they are undertaking this Phantom project!]

What I haven't noted yet is how FineMolds  are/will make provisions on the top nose piece for an open gun gas purge door  (it's spring loaded to open when utility hydraulic pressure is taken off the airplane). 

u4L3k8O.jpg

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 4

On 7/14/2020 at 9:14 AM, Gene K said:

JqWL7ES.jpg

The gun access door [that covered the gun mechanism, not the barrels] was usually open on Pre-flight so the pilot could check the rounds counter. The panel line for that door is missing so far in the molds ... at this point.

jY0oMlt.jpg

Gene K

Someone needs to buy an X-acto and draw a line.

Shall we survive the effort?

Looks like the Phantom is on track for an on-time release in August, as per Finemold's announcement. When was the last time something like that happened..?

15 hours ago, Robertone139 said:

Fantastic, good luck in realistically painting those afterburner rings.

Especially considering the thick soot bellowed out of the real ones (ergo everything should be sooty black)...

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

You could always cut away the rear end, paint the rings, and stick it back on again. 

No one will see the joint, so far down the pipe.

But then, that is extra work of course!

Andy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

You could always cut away the rear end, paint the rings, and stick it back on again. 

No one will see the joint, so far down the pipe.

But then, that is extra work of course!

Andy

Andy stop injecting these complex construction techniques in this thread, at this rate if this kit can't do Mach 2 and shoot something down I'll be wee weed. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mountain goat said:

Looks like the Phantom is on track for an on-time release in August, as per Finemold's announcement. When was the last time something like that happened..?

Especially considering the thick soot bellowed out of the real ones (ergo everything should be sooty black)...

Jay

Ya' think?

spacer.png

• Like 2

The ring and surrounding pipe is very uniform in colour, so easy to paint and weather, which is what Mountain Goat was getting at.

Andy

Edited by Greg B
Repeated images removed
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, alex said:

Actually, my best burner can was not painted at all. I took an image from the internet, scaled it down to the correct size, and glued it on the inside. ;)

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=11437&p=albums&album=40254    (images 11 and 14)

Alex

I did the same for the fan in my Hasgawa F-16 👍

5 hours ago, Homebee said:

Release postponed to October 2020

Big disappointment but understandable in these times. Hopefully the same does not happen with the Zoukei Mura 1/48 F-4E due out at the end of this month. 

Gene K