1/72 - McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II by Finemolds - (R)F-4C/D/E/EJ & J released - new boxings in 2024

Homebee

Stilwell, your first photo shows AIM-4s and is quite rare to see. Most pictures only show Phantoms with the pylons.

The JASDF  Phantoms cannot carry AAM-5s and never will as the last F-4s retire next year. It is odd that they are included on the sprue for the F-4 which is why I mentioned that Finemolds may be doing a weapons set.

You are right about the masked off stencils and the grey (or underlying colour) background. This occurs a lot in Japan and the DXM decals are far ahead of those offered by Hasegawa. However, I have just checked the 1/48 DXM sheet and there is no background colour, so you would have to mask them off yourself. Not hard to do, just tedious.

Alternatively, in 1/48, there is the Hobbydecal rub down sheet, which is perfect.

Andy

21 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

Go left from circle! Short missile. Very top of the image.

That is a short shot sidewinder. The nose is to the right.

Andy

21 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

That is a short shot sidewinder. The nose is to the right.

Andy

I agree, you can see it’s the same four sprues piled on top of each. 

12 hours ago, Red Dot said:

This looks like Finemolds MAY be going the Hasegawa route of separate weapons sets.

The F-4EJ could only use Sidewinders and Falcons. The -EJ Kai can use more, but I have never seen one with AAM-5s.

This seems to be a strange choice, but knowing the company, I am sure they are right.

Whatever the decision, the tooling looks good, and it is nice to see lots of alternatives,

Andy

They did the same with their Tomcat, with the release of a U.S. Air to air missile set item No FP31. Although it says what it says the missiles included are for a Tomcat plus a AN/AAQ-25 Lantirn pod.

This were found on ARC.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/312591-finally-a-new-172-phantom/page/8/#comments

The holes in the wing root might indicate KB-18 strike cameras in a future kit, these being fitted to F-4Es during the 1970s, and F-4Gs converted from them.

Thanks for posting that rare-as-imaginable photo of the taxying F-4EJ with live AIM-4D Falcons. These were used on Japanese alert birds throughout the 1970s and a good portion of the 1980s.

But where to get the L-41/42/43 launch rails? The first generation Hasegawa ones are a bit naff, but at least one of their weapons sets include better versions of the AIM-4D Falcons.

A bit of an omission me thinks, which Fine Molds can part-fix by including the L-series launchers in the vanilla F-4EJ release.

Tony 

Edited by tony.t
changing stuff

> But where to get the L-41/42/43 launch rails? The first generation Hasegawa ones are a bit naff

They are the only ones I know of, though. I have bought an appropriate kit to rob them, but haven't looked at them in detail yet.

> but at least one of their weapons sets include better versions of the AIM-4D Falcons.

Eduard Brassin do a 4x set of AIM-4Ds. I think last time I armed a model with Falcons, I sourced them from the Hasegawa set, but used fine copper wire from an electric motor to represent the.. whatever those rods between the front and rear aerodynamic surfaces are. Actuators, I assume?

> A bit of an omission me thinks, which Fine Molds can part-fix by including the L-series launchers in the vanilla F-4EJ release.

From what I know of the Japanese, if photographs of them are rare, then they were rarely carried. Even if the launch rails were:

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF41j.html

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF42j.html

Nowadays you don't have to hang around the JASDF fighter fields for too long before you can see a live QRA launch (although that is mainly based from hanging around Naha Airport, which may get more traffic than the others). But back in the Cold War, I would expect all the QRA bases to have had regular launches with a live loadout.

And the rarer the use, the less attractive the inclusion in a kit. I would have liked the kit to include a CBLS-200 practice bomb carrier (or two, but when I saw them, only one was being carried inboard opposite an AIM-9L or AAM-3 training round), but I can probably rob one from the Platz F-1 kit.

I was expecting the -4EJ kit to have a choice of horizontal stabilators, with and without the "triangular"reinforcing plates, as I believe many aircraft had their stabilators reinforced before the kai modification, and the -4EJkai kit to include only the sprue with the reinforcing plates added. But it looks like the -4EJ kit only has one stabilator sprue. I presume this is the non-reinforced standard, and the kit decals will include marking options accordingly.

Jonathan.

12 hours ago, Stilwell said:

> But where to get the L-41/42/43 launch rails? The first generation Hasegawa ones are a bit naff

They are the only ones I know of, though. I have bought an appropriate kit to rob them, but haven't looked at them in detail yet.

> but at least one of their weapons sets include better versions of the AIM-4D Falcons.

Eduard Brassin do a 4x set of AIM-4Ds. I think last time I armed a model with Falcons, I sourced them from the Hasegawa set, but used fine copper wire from an electric motor to represent the.. whatever those rods between the front and rear aerodynamic surfaces are. Actuators, I assume?

> A bit of an omission me thinks, which Fine Molds can part-fix by including the L-series launchers in the vanilla F-4EJ release.

From what I know of the Japanese, if photographs of them are rare, then they were rarely carried. Even if the launch rails were:

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF41j.html

http://nabe3saviation.web.fc2.com/aF42j.html

Nowadays you don't have to hang around the JASDF fighter fields for too long before you can see a live QRA launch (although that is mainly based from hanging around Naha Airport, which may get more traffic than the others). But back in the Cold War, I would expect all the QRA bases to have had regular launches with a live loadout.

And the rarer the use, the less attractive the inclusion in a kit. I would have liked the kit to include a CBLS-200 practice bomb carrier (or two, but when I saw them, only one was being carried inboard opposite an AIM-9L or AAM-3 training round), but I can probably rob one from the Platz F-1 kit.

I was expecting the -4EJ kit to have a choice of horizontal stabilators, with and without the "triangular"reinforcing plates, as I believe many aircraft had their stabilators reinforced before the kai modification, and the -4EJkai kit to include only the sprue with the reinforcing plates added. But it looks like the -4EJ kit only has one stabilator sprue. I presume this is the non-reinforced standard, and the kit decals will include marking options accordingly.

Jonathan.

The L-41/42/43 rails were a common sight on F-4EJs in the 1970s-1980s therefore the omission of these in the EJ boxing, as suspected, is a sad oversight.

Made all the more annoying as these were standard on hardwing USAF Zulu Alert F-4Es during the period 1968-72, which were commonly seen with the AIM-4Ds fitted. I have long wanted to do a Bitburg, Soesterberg or Homestead hardwing E with the all-up load uncompromised by ECM pods. 

Thanks for the reminder about the Brassin Falcons — the 1/32 ones are great, but again no rails for the Tamiya kit! 

The lower stabilator doublers were added from the 1980s, reskinned stabilators often losing the upper doublers or "fishplates" (USAF Time Compliance Technical Order 1F-4-1348, which applied to FMS operators). If the upper ones are missing from the EJ boxing maybe Cross Delta or another manufacturer can make sticky-back foil versions (?) Or vinyl. 

Overall, the kit looks very nice — the separately moulded bang-seat straps is a very nice touch, and the shapes appear "right".

Tony 

Edited by tony.t
omission
  • Like 1

Just a couple of points really.

Yes, it may be a mistake by Finemolds for not including the Falcon rails, but it isn't the end of the world. Scratch build some! It can't be that hard with some photos.

The same goes for the strengthening plates. Use some Bare Metal Foil and a sharp scalpel. Come on, you are modellers.

Anyway, even though I don't do 1/72, I think I might get a couple of these as the detail looks amazing

Well done Finemolds.

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Just a couple of points really.

Yes, it may be a mistake by Finemolds for not including the Falcon rails, but it isn't the end of the world. Scratch build some! It can't be that hard with some photos.

The same goes for the strengthening plates. Use some Bare Metal Foil and a sharp scalpel. Come on, you are modellers.

Anyway, even though I don't do 1/72, I think I might get a couple of these as the detail looks amazing

Well done Finemolds.

Andy

Agree in principle but the inner-facing L-41/42 Falcon rails have horribly complicated geometry and are handed so you can't just master one and have it copied — symmetry is the friend of scratching, asymmetry its worst enemy. 

I have the ancient Hasegawa kit which includes two blobs purporting to be these launch rails (inner and bottom ones being moulded in one superblob) and might be made to fit the FM with judicious cutting and additions.

As for the doubler plates, thanks, foil cut with surgically sharp scissors might do the trick. There are firms out there who have the design in vector art and should be able to make some ready-to-use. Lazy, but then I think that's true of pre cut masks whereas I prefer bendy masking tape. 

Am not knocking this kit one bit — the airframe and cockpit looks super — but am still hankering after a realistic set of Falcon pea shooter rails and missiles. They are part of history and add a splash of colour. So I'm waiting to see what Z-M do in 1/48 too. 

Tony 

3 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Well done Finemolds.

Andy

1 hour ago, tony.t said:

As for the doubler plates, thanks, foil cut with surgically sharp scissors might do the trick. There are firms out there who have the design in vector art and should be able to make some ready-to-use. Lazy, but then I think that's true of pre cut masks whereas I prefer bendy masking tape. 

Am not knocking this kit one bit — the airframe and cockpit looks super — but am still hankering after a realistic set of Falcon pea shooter rails and missiles. They are part of history and add a splash of colour. So I'm waiting to see what Z-M do in 1/48 too. 

Tony 

Non strictly related to this kit only, but since there have been companies offering this kind of detail in pre-cut vinyl, I wonder if it would be possible to do the same with metal foil.. Foil is IMHO nicer than vinyl in terms of realism for such parts, I've used this material before for simple shapes, maybe it's worth experimenting with a computer controlled cutter for something more complicated

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

What is so hard about cutting it out yourself from foil? It is only a basic triangle shape

Andy

Not hard for the triangle, but harder for other shapes, like the reinforcement plates used on USN and UK phantoms in the wingfold area. Or, changing subjects, the various reinforcement plates used on the F-16s

My plan to add the reinforcing plates to the underside of the stabilators for some Hasegawa kits was to burnish some foil onto the upper side plates to get an impression of the shape (assuming the shape is the same above and below), cut the foil along the relief with curved blade or fine scissors. Then either stick the foil itself, or use it (them) as templates for thin plasticard, But plasticard would need to be sanded down to a more representative thickness. 

Jonathan.

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Not hard for the triangle, but harder for other shapes, like the reinforcement plates used on USN and UK phantoms in the wingfold area. Or, changing subjects, the various reinforcement plates used on the F-16s

We were only talking about the stabs on Phantoms

Andy

2 hours ago, Stilwell said:

My plan to add the reinforcing plates to the underside of the stabilators for some Hasegawa kits was to burnish some foil onto the upper side plates to get an impression of the shape (assuming the shape is the same above and below), cut the foil along the relief with curved blade or fine scissors. Then either stick the foil itself, or use it (them) as templates for thin plasticard, But plasticard would need to be sanded down to a more representative thickness. 

Jonathan.

now that is a good idea

Andy