Desert Stuka

I have just completed this Desert Stuka base a plan that was in Libya in 1941. I first saw it in a profile in the Topwings 54 Ju 87B book by Maciej Noszczak. The profile was painted by Arkadiusz Wrobel

desert Stuka S1+GK

Then when I had almost finished it I found this image of it crashed on takeoff.

Junkers-Ju-87B2-Stuka-2.StG3-(S1+GK)-landing-mishap-1941-01

So I used the Airfix 1/48 kit and put together the decals from several sources. The model isn't prefect by any means. I had a lot of trouble with Airfix's open canopy parts.

Also the plastic for these clear parts are rather soft, so the old toothpick method of removing paint from them literally dug into the plastic. 

Aside from that I'm quite happy with the model. I used oils to get a sun bleached look and a variation  of the paint surface.  So this is a well weathered desert Stuka. 

The sand colour was hand mixed and painted on a mottled black base. This helps give the illusion of the sand starting to wear down to the original dark green scheme.

Stuka S1-GK image 4

Stuka S1-GK image 5

Stuka S1-GK image 3

Stuka S1-GK image 2

• Like 44
  • Thanks 1

I like that, good subject well modeled. The weathering and slight staining is very effective. Good job😉

• Thanks 1

That’s come up really nicely Greg. All too often we see mottled Luftwaffe subjects, however these clean desert colours help capture the complete look of the entire airframe. It also emphasises your neat modelling skills so well done on both fronts. Great work my friend! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Actually, my Dad was in the 2/48th Australian battalion in Tobruk, Alamein , and would tell me stories of the Stukas coming over with their wailing sirens. May have been this very plane!!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mark Joyce said:

Very nice Stuka, Greg.  I think your attempt at achieving the worn, weathered look of the paint worked perfectly.  What paints specifcally did you use?

Cheers,

Mark

Sorry Mark I'm not 100% sure of the mix now. I used Mr Hobby Aqueous sandy yellow with Tamiya buff and a few drops of Aqueous flat red. I might have added a few drops of yellow, but I'm not sure on that. My memory isn't the best these days and I was winging it.

• Like 1

Hi Greg.  I would never know all of the issues and problems that you had with this particular kit if you did not illustrate firsthand. The results you have achieved are OUTSTANDING!!!!!  The subtle weathering is perfect and you should be very proud of your stunning work of art displayed here.  Bravo my friend!!!!!!

:goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Hello, Greg -

Stunning Stuka and I like the desert colours/markings as well

I guess you 'dived' right into this build ................!

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Very pleasing to the eye...  The weathering just right.   Canopy looks great, did you use masks?

Yes I used the Eduard masks, but had a lot of trouble with them. To be honest it shows on the canopy in reality,  but doesn't show in the images that much. When I do another one of these it will have a closed canopy or the gunner canopy will be open. 

• Like 1

Definitely  a case of less is more with the colours I reckon. I'd normally go for the more colourful and complicated schemes for interest, but I'm really liking this. It certainly shows the modelling skills.

Nice one. :thumbsup:

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1