1/48 Hasegawa Spitfire Vb Trop - 249 Sqn Malta

Jumping into this group build with the 26 yr old 1/48 Hasegawa Spitfire Vb Trop.  Built the predecessor of this, the Vb with clipped wings many years ago, but don't remember anything about how it went.  So let's see what happens.

246701-12740-24-pristine.jpg

Going to try and build BR562 of 249 Sqn in Malta, flown by Hesselyn.  Haven't found any pics and only limited details on Hesselyn.

49766424051_86af15d139_w.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been very lacking on pics for this build.  Had some cockpit pics but what happy with them........photographically speaking.  Only real issues I had was the trop nose piece and the wing to fuselage fit.  The wing root need filling and rescribing.  This is my interpretation of the Malta Blue, take it for what it's worth.  I know, a big old can of worms when it comes to that.   Mine was a mix of Tamiya Sea Blue and Tamiya Flat Blue.  Think I started about 2:1 but I'm thinking in the end it was probably more close to 50/50.  Then a lightened version to add some fade to it.  Gray was Tamiya Sky Gray.

50105398147_3e302f7f84_c.jpg

50105162431_97826c2fc4_c.jpg

50105398447_57eafe13fe_c.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

I also got a question.  I did some hair spray chipping on this, post pictures.  I'm hoping the water ring that is left will go away with a clear coat?  Please tell me yes!

Photo’s ? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by water ring ? 

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Photo’s ? I'm not sure I understand what you mean by water ring ? 

Like this one.......less noticeable today, but it is still slightly visible.  Had to get the right angle to see it better.  I don't notice the ones on the wings.  Just this one.

50108165202_fa2f831845_c.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ok I see what you're talking about now. I believe yes they do go away. Ive done hairspray chipping quite a bit and i think this has happened to me. Something similar happens with Microset and Microsol on decals as well but that always goes away with a clear coat. However and sadly I must add this, until you do put the clear on you wont know for sure. 

Well kids, I am not going to make this one.  I'm close though.  Decaling is in process, bottom roundels are fighting me tooth and nail.  I've lost count as to how many times I've pricked, sliced, put softener (Mr Softer, MicroSol and Solvaset) on them.  They are getting close though.  But I will now be outta town for the weekend so no modeling time before the deadline.  Look forward to seeing everyone else's when I return.

• Sad 2

• 1 month later...