"NIKITA" - Ilyushin Il-28R in Finnish Air Force service

15 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello hopkp,

and thank you for your kind words🙂

I used actually both Mk. 1 Eyeball and some maths. I haven't seen any factory drawings for the "tow tail". There is only an Aircrew Manual Supplement for the reconnaissance version and it gives exactly the same overall length as the manual for the "basic" aircraft. NH-4 is placed on pillars at the museum and sits so high that there is no way one could take measurements.

In my model the length of the "tow tail body" is 22,5 mm and overall length with the boom 36,5 mm. That should be "pretty" accurate.

Criticism, where? I didn't notice at all😉 If there is something else I can help you with, just ask.

Cheers,

Antti

If 'eyeball and some maths' is good enough for you then it's good enough for me; 22.5 mm and 36.5 mm it is!

• Like 1

Good evening all🙂

Hopefully everyone is feeling fine. It is time for an update for this project. I have been busy building the model but now I have some more pictures to publish.

As mentioned earlier, I decided to check kit measurements against the data available in those factory manuals I own. That data is mainly for the fuselage. Let's start with some general information and then study the fuselage detail by detail.

- all measurements are in millimeters and based on the original manuals and calculated for 1/48 scale

- Fuselage Station 0 is the tip of the nose

- the overall length of the fuselage is correct: 367,7 mm from the tip of the nose all the way up to the rear turret outer surface

- correct position for the wing leading edge (Il-28 & Il-28R) is 169,2 mm aft of the nose; in the kit it is at 168 mm (possibly this is a "cross" between several variants, as the torpedo bomber variant had it's wing moved forward by 100 mm; some two millimeters in 1/48 scale)

- correct wing Angle of Incidence for the Il-28R is 2,53 degrees; in the kit it is 3,7 degrees. You can't see the difference so let it be

- correct diameter for the fuselage is 37,5 mm (in my kit 37 mm, possibly has something to do with extensive sanding...)

- the bomb bay width is correct but other measurement aren't

At first, checking the fuselage measurements between the nose and wing leading edge. Make ready and then proceed as follows:

spacer.png

Unfortunately it seems that the nose landing gear is located some 3 - 4 millimeters too far from the nose. It is enough to be visible in the photos. I guess there is more trouble ahead with the interior parts if one chooses to fix that. And the nose isn't especially accurate in shape anyway. In my opinion kits produced in these days using laser scanning and 3D engineering should be more accurate than this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This project has required a lot more work than I anticipated but so far it has been pretty straight forward using the basic techniques.

That's all for now. Keep Safe and keep on modeling🙂

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 9

Kiitos Vesa🙂

The "Weather Man" promised rain and gusty winds for tomorrow. I guess I'll be celebrating pretty hard with plastic airplane bits... 😁

Simaa ja tippaleipää!

Cheers,

Antti

Good evening all🙂

Thank you Col., Vesa & Co. for your kind words.

I hope that you are all safe. We have received some very disturbing news from Britain and elsewhere.

I've been busy building my model and creating material for publication. So far I'm happy with the result and it keeps me going on. Sometimes when you start a new kit, those first inaccuracies don't bother you much but after several weeks of correcting false details and wrong shapes, there is always a risk that the model will end up in the "Shelf of Doom". Luckily this hasn't happened with this project. Possibly it has something to do with "soft spot" I have for Il-28...

An exhibition about Il-28s was opened at Utti AB. And here I am, sitting at home and waiting for a time when one can safely travel around again. Sigh!

In the meanwhile, here is some more progress with the nose and details. Make ready and then proceed as follows:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is one area left in the fuselage to deal with: the aft camera bays. More about those in my next post. I chose for closed bomb bay doors and camera doors. I would say that presenting them open requires a lot of scratch building but shouldn't be very difficult in general terms. I was just eager to get forward (or lazy, or both?).

Stay Safe and keep on modeling🙂

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 5

Tidy and comprehensive work again Antti :goodjob:

11 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Thank you Col., Vesa & Co. for your kind words.

I hope that you are all safe. We have received some very disturbing news from Britain and elsewhere.

Without getting too political I'll only say you are more likely to hear accurate news about the situation here in Britain than I am at the moment :(

• Thanks 1

Hello all,

here comes the final part about fuselage details. I chose the easy way out by simply scribing new details. That's what I usually do; I present my models with hatches and doors closed because that is the case with real aircraft most of the time.

I chose to use the bomb bay and rear camera bay as datum points. The reason is simple; I know their exact locations and measurements. As I stated earlier the wing is one millimeter too far forward and that would cause extra calculations and extra problems. Make ready and then proceed as follows:

spacer.png

One of the Soviet built vertical camera is visible in the bomb bay. They were replaced with western cameras (like Vinten F95s) pretty early, because the quality of the photos was poor. These Soviet cameras couldn't cope with the aircraft's speed and pictures were usually blurred. The radome isn't as smooth as it appears in this photo. It is painted with gloss medium blue gray.

spacer.png

The same area but this time on plastic. My example required a lot of sanding to get a straight surface and all details were lost. That wasn't a problem as I had to move the bomb bay. This alone meant that new surface details were mandatory. Surprisingly also the radome needed quite a lot of sanding. I also added the fastening screws with a 0,3 mm drill bit. Nose gear bay was originally painted with bright yellow (as was the bomb bay interiors). In these photos of NH-4 all interiors are painted with a dirty orange colour. I believe that only NH-4 was painted this way during her last major overhaul in the USSR.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Somehow Bobcat didn't get the RATO Bottle attachment points right. They should be cross shaped and both point into same direction, unlike in the kit.

spacer.png

Note also that these attachment points are slightly different: the one in the front is wider than the other.

spacer.png

Some filling of panel lines is required before new details for the camera hatches can be scribed. I don't normally use modelling putty for jobs like this because the fillers usually shrink. And that happens two weeks after the model is completed. Instead I apply super glue into the panel line to be filled and then press "sanding dust" (pure Milliput grinded into a jar) using a pallet knife on top of that. This creates a strong filler which won't shrink.

spacer.png

Although the oblique camera doors are painted with orange the camera bay interiors are in original yellow colour. A detail to consider if one chooses for open camera doors. Note also how the tow cable guide tube is divided into sections to allow the vertical camera doors to open.

spacer.png

Note the blue gray blade aerial and a red diagonal stripe across it. That red stripe shows the antenna breaking point; a safety feature for belly landing. In NH-3 this antenna was located on the Port side of the fuselage.

spacer.png

These fuselage surface details are the most visible differences between bomber and reconnaissance versions. You can leave the towing equipment out if you want to as it wasn't necessarily attached to all Finnish Il-28Rs at the same time. For example NH-3 flew without towing gear during the late 1970s.

spacer.png

And now: the fuselage is finally complete. Sanding surfaces smooth, filling in gaps and finally scribing new surface details are all basic tasks during model building. And they are usually pretty simple and straight forward operations. This time it was slightly different. The plastic is hard and felt brittle. Yet it was easy to sand. And the most strange thing of all: it remained very soft close to seams for weeks (OK, I used MEK as well as Revell glue). Think of a present day Airfix kit. When using a glue like Revell, you will see the reaction immediately you start to apply pressure on the joint (fuselage halves pressed together for example). With this kit no such indications were encountered. Also joints running along panel lines caused head ache as they had poor fit at places and it is always a demanding job to re-scribe along a joint.

The next BIG task is to modify the engine gondolas up to Il-28R standard. So check your stores for Milliput and styrene sheet and strips (The Evergreen Complete Il-28R detailing and Modifying Set).

Thanks for watching, stay safe and see you guys again soon🙂

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 4

Hello all,

it is time to start working with the engine gondolas. Il-28R had larger main wheels (thanks to greater MTOW) and gear bays than the bomber version. The larger main landing gear bay means that the engine gondola is 3,5 mm longer in 1/48 scale. And it is also wider. I think that a modeler can easily cheat and let the length be, but the shape is something that has to be dealt with. But more about that in a future post.

I started the work with the front ends or "Kapots" as they were called in Finnish Air Force". The fit is poor between halves and there is no detailing on inner surfaces. So, make ready and then proceed as follows:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is one more thing to do: repeat for the opposite side😉 After that everything is ready for the main body modifications. Until then stay safe and keep on modeling🙂

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 5

Hello all,

a quick update: new wheels. The diameter of the main wheel should be 26,5 mm. Luckily I found a pare of Revell's 1/32 scale MiG-21's main wheels from the spares box. The conversion is simple as the wheel hubs are provided as separate pieces in the Bobcat kit. So remove the wheel hubs from the MiG's wheel halves and check the fit of Bobcat's wheel hubs. As the MiG's main wheel is too narrow, Plasticard has to be applied between the halves. The correct width is 8,1 mm. Here we go...

spacer.png

The wheel hub is removed (on the right) and plasticard applied to make a wider tire. On the left the Bobcat part is seen during a dry run.

This picture shows the difference in size. A shame really as the smaller, original wheel has very nice thread pattern. Actually the modified wheels look spot on. Even the outer rim is pretty accurate.

spacer.png

And the final product. Il-28Rs had originally darker, olive green wheel hubs. Nothing we are accustomed to see on MiGs for example. I used Humbrol 150 with a satin coat. Note also that the nose wheels are slightly different in detail. Use the "less" detailed nose wheel on the port side.

spacer.png

That's all for now, thanks for watching🙂 Stay Safe and keep on modeling!

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 3

Nice progress, and interesting :( observation and solution on the wheels!

Wonder if the same was done in real life... but the other way round.... a la , lets just downscale the Beagle wheels by a third....

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Thank you exdraken🙂

Actually the wheels were possibly the most critical point in the build. And that's why I actually started with that. Luckily the spares box came to rescue! I would have gone with the bomber version if I haven't found suitable pair of wheels. Everything else can be constructed using plastic strip and card, Milliput and paper.

Cheers,

Antti

3 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Mike you can have some sima (I still got one bottle left), I will drive. Where do you want go😉

Cheers,

Antti

To Tikkakoski to the Finnish Air Force Museum! What an amazing collection of rare aircraft, many in original, unrestored condition! :giggle:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

To Tikkakoski to the Finnish Air Force Museum! What an amazing collection of rare aircraft, many in original, unrestored condition! :giggle:

Excellent plan Mike! I will pick you up from Helsinki-Vantaa airport. On the way to Tikkakoski we can take a detour to first visit Ilmatorjuntamuseo (Anti Aircraft Gunnery museum) at Hyrylä some seven miles from the airport. That Airacobra is on display there along with the remains of a MiG-3. Then we'll continue towards Päijät-Hämeen Ilmailumuseo https://asiakas.kotisivukone.com/files/lahdenilmasilta.kotisivukone.com/tiedostot/Paijat-Hameen_Ilmailumuseo_kasiesite_2019.pdf at Lahti-Vesivehmaa airport to see some more interesting aircraft. From Lahti we'll turn towards Tikkakoski. I guess I need to buy another bottle of sima to be on the safe side😁

Cheers,

Antti

• Haha 1

@Antti_K,

If I ever get the chance to visit your beautiful country and see all of the the aviation museum collections, the sima will be on me! The unrestored Airacobra will definitely be on my photo list!

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you StyrenePilot1970🙂

This build has certainly revealed things that weren't apparent when first opening the box. The plastic feels "funny"; It can be very soft (like there were small air bubbles in it) at one place and almost like glass just a centimeter away (breaking into pieces easily). Be always careful when drilling small holes. One main landing gear leg shattered into pieces without warning when I was drilling small holes for the hydraulic lines.

For me this kit was the only way. It costs less than half the price of the HPH resin kit (at least here in Finland) and I'm only familiar with small resin items, like ejection seats. The idea to start large modifications on an expensive, unfamiliar media wasn't very inviting. Some things to learn still😉

Cheers,

Antti

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

@Antti_K,

If I ever get the chance to visit your beautiful country and see all of the the aviation museum collections, the sima will be on me! The unrestored Airacobra will definitely be on my photo list!

Mike

Mike, I was expecting you to land tonight... It seems that I have to turn around and return home😁 I'll put sima back into the fridge (it only gets better that way, so don't worry).

Cheers,

Antti

Just now, Antti_K said:

Mike, I was expecting you to land tonight... It seems that I have to turn around and return home😁 I'll put sima back into the fridge (it only gets better that way, so don't worry).

Cheers,

Antti

I wish, my friend; I wish!

Mike

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I wish, my friend; I wish!

Mike

Mike,

here is my "Master Plan": Get the interested in Finland and then take a tour at various interesting museums and places. And riding in style: in our club's Dakota (ex. FinnAF DO-11, that less known SIGINT platform).

Taking off from the beautiful Art Deco style Helsinki-Malmi Airport...

spacer.png

...then cruise at 140 KIAS at 2000 ft over the beautiful country side...

spacer.png

...and land at Lahti-Vesivehmaa airfield and visit the museum.

spacer.png

Here's our club members at Vesivehmaa last summer. We just arrived in our Dakota to visit the museum. Great fun!

Cheers,

Antti

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Antti_K said:

We just arrived in our Dakota to visit the museum. Great fun!

I've got several great photos of -LCHl; she's a beaut! The Helsinki-Malmi terminal reminds me so much of the very similar art deco terminal at our Stinson Airport.

Yer killin' me with those photos...I am soooo jealous!

Mike

https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/stinson-field-terminal-building-san-antonio-tx/

• Like 1

Mike,

I just found a few photos of DO-11 with COMINT aerials attached (these photos are extremely rare). I know what to do when I got my hands on a C-47 kit... I have decals only for the 1/72 scale but 1/48 scale C-47 would look great with my "Nikita".

Thank you for the link and photos🙂 I've never visited USA but I'm always been interested in architecture (some 30 years ago I started to study at Helsinki University of Technology to become an architect. Instead I ended up in aviation; not a bad choice either). That sand colour stone is something I would have connected to California. One always learns... It seems that your airport is very much alive and operating at full swing. Sadly the city officials (mainly the green) at Helsinki have decided that Malmi airport will be closed and the area is reserved for housing. Helsinki-Malmi is one of the very few 1930s era airports in Europe in its original condition and still operational. We have put up a fight to defend this rarity. I've participated in several demonstrations and asked for help from the EU. Have you visited Miami and the Art Deco District there? Worth a visit as it is very beautiful area (and I've only been using Google Street View).

Cheers,

Antti

Hi Antti,

one can really see that you are very passionate about this subject and I will certainly save the whole thread for future reference when I work on my Il-28R conversion again (although I guess I will not go that deep into details as you do).

I see you came to the same conclusion as me regarding the intakes (sidewalls too thin). I thought about lining them with thin plastic card but concluded this would cause much work and fit problems later on. So I will resort to just adding some details to the inner walls as you did. I got some very nice pics from the intake and all the pipework one can see so a lot of detail will go behind the bullet fairings. I've even played with the idea of installing some Derwents (I know, not the same engine but similar enough) from an Airfix Meteor in order to fill the empty space but a bit concluded that the pipework is all you can see on the real thing anyway.

From your pictures I get the feeling I need to visit your museum one day. Regrettably, when I visited Helsinki two years ago I did not visit the Aviation Museum near the Airport :nono: (and I'm really a plane geek) but at least I took one day to stroll around Suomenlinna (and Vessiko of course). Hopefully, travelling will be possible in the near future again.

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1