Sword 1/72 F-94B Starfire

Hi, mates! 🍺

I present to your attention my next finished model started about 6 years ago and finally completed due to me staying home for most of the time :)

Well, this one took a toll on my nerves... Multiple fitting issues that plagued me to the very end! You know the drill - a LOT of filling, sanding, correcting, dry fitting again and again and still there are certain places that could look better. And finally the NMF... Oh, not to forget the blue decals on the wingtip tanks... I had to completely cut their noses off as they do not conform at all with the tanks' geometry and I mean they have nothing in common. Then I had to match the blue of the decals which was not particularly easy. On the positive side - nice photo-etched fret addressing mainly the cockpit. My general opinion is that this kit is not for the fainthearted. But still, apart from the old Heller model, this is the only option in 1/72, as far as I know.

The backdrop is not period correct, yes, but better than nothing :)

1586714250_92_18.jpg

1586714351_92_68.jpg

1586714278_92_88.jpg

1586714380_92_52.jpg

1586714431_92_81.jpg

1586714959_92_16.jpg

1586714479_92_91.jpg

1586714450_92_58.jpg

• Like 26

20 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Good work on a short run kit!  Have you ever built the Heller kit?  

Actually no, never had it. I think it was quite rare back then and not reissued in the last 20+ years 

What an incredibly well done model! For a kit that waged war against you, it's clear you came out the victor supreme. And the cockpit is truly awesome!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dimiter said:

Actually no, never had it. I think it was quite rare back then and not reissued in the last 20+ years 

I have the Heller kit, built a long time ago. Can’t tell you about accuracy, but I finished it, so it must have been an easy build. Nowhere near as pretty as yours. I wish we would get a current F94C, it was the cooler looking of the bunch. Having built the Emhar Demon, I am staying away from their F94C.

• Thanks 1

That looks fabulous, Dimiter.  I've read this kit has atrocious fit issues, so for you to have finished it and having it look so nice is quite an achievement.  I can't get a great fitting kit to look so good!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doc72 said:

It was worth the fight. The model looks great! The background is also cool, but looks more fitting to the Vietnam war.

Thanks! Yes, it is from Noy's Miniatures line and actually representing Vietnam era air base :)

Very good result, Dimiter!

I personally did a Sword's T-33 which shares some issues with F-94 like non-matching canopy pieces leading to open cockpits on every T-33 and F-94 that you see assembled. My brother has the same Starfire in his collection too and came across similar problem like with tanks decals. So it is a complex model indeed.

Congratulations for having done this model with such wonderful quality!

• Thanks 1

Lovely job there Dimiter, I'm glad you persevered with this project, I do love these early jets, I just wish the kits were a better starting point.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wez said:

I just wish the kits were a better starting point.

Thanks and completely agree! When I think of having Sword's F-80, T-33, Banshee and others I feel the goosebumps... :)