"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

Hi Johnny Appleseed,

Lovely work, as usual - going back a bit, that cockpit, especially the IP is fantastic

I wonder if Matchbox ever thought that their project (must have been their 'best ever' at the time) would be refined like this......

Now raising a pint* in Tribute (actually it's Speckled Hen) to this - fantastic!

All the best 

Geoff

*I like cider too, just not at the same time as beer

• Thanks 1

I'd completely forgotten about those wing tabs but now you mention it I did cut them off.  I hadn't clocked how much space that frees up around the Ghost.  If you're going to leave yours in situ - which I think is a very sound plan, wish I'd thought of it, might it be worth connecting them both together inside the engine bay to make them appear as one continuous strip on either side?

Love the modifications to the jet pipe.  Mine was completely OOB at that point.

As for the cider vs ale debate, I can go for either.  Ale most of the time but there's nothing quite like a decent pint of 9% scrumpy that grabs your tonsils, tris them together and pulls them down your throat behind it!  But I wouldn't dare go anywhere near a modelling knife afterwards... or for that matter a keyboard!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, giemme said:

You should really stop drinking cider.

:rofl:  :rofl: 

Great progress nonetheless :clap: 

Ciao

nowt wrong with a bit of apple juice on a sunny afternoon. 🍏  and Thanks G 😍

11 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nowt wrong with a pint, it washes the dust down @giemme..

All looking very sharp from here John.

Stay safe.

Simon.

See.... What Simon said. :D    

11 hours ago, giemme said:

True, but pint=beer for me, don't like cider ... :shrug:  :D  :D  :beer: 

Ciao

Oh ok.   both for me, occasionally do to my ramblings. 🤣

11 hours ago, perdu said:

Ah but cider is many things, it bain't all Bulmers tha know.

Johnny mate you are as entitled to self compliment in your own bloody magnificent self's work, but however I take the compliment gratefully with the ancient words echoing through the vaulting ceilings "I am not worthy"

You are doing wonderful things here and I love 'em

b

[snug? you deserve to be smug]

👍

Too modest sir. Every time I find myself reaching for the SHRSC...????  SHERSC ?? no that's not it.... Oh I can't remember. single, ? double cut ? oh the BIG ruddy rasp file I bought from Gregory Pank before he shut for good. I think.. "How would Bill do this?" and " would Bill sand/cut that much off".   You're the devil / angel on my shoulder. 

11 hours ago, Martian said:

That work on the rear fuselage is class. The Martian is very impressed.

Martian 👽

Thank you dear hearts.  that is a compliment indeed. 😍

10 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Discovered this gem of a thread and am now totally enthralled! A Sea Venom will always get my attention and this one certainly has. Love your work so far, that I/P is the dogs as they say.

Will be following closely from here on.

Terry

thank you sir. glad you're enjoying the build.

7 hours ago, Kitsticker said:

Hi Johnny Appleseed,

Lovely work, as usual - going back a bit, that cockpit, especially the IP is fantastic

I wonder if Matchbox ever thought that their project (must have been their 'best ever' at the time) would be refined like this......

Now raising a pint* in Tribute (actually it's Speckled Hen) to this - fantastic!

All the best 

Geoff

*I like cider too, just not at the same time as beer

Thanks. Enjoy the pint.  I'll have some myself later on in the sun.☀️

1 hour ago, CedB said:

More lovely work Johnny, even with the Cider inside yer! :D 

oh hell, I don't model after booze. well not usually. 🤫

54 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'd completely forgotten about those wing tabs but now you mention it I did cut them off.  I hadn't clocked how much space that frees up around the Ghost.  If you're going to leave yours in situ - which I think is a very sound plan, wish I'd thought of it, might it be worth connecting them both together inside the engine bay to make them appear as one continuous strip on either side?

Love the modifications to the jet pipe.  Mine was completely OOB at that point.

As for the cider vs ale debate, I can go for either.  Ale most of the time but there's nothing quite like a decent pint of 9% scrumpy that grabs your tonsils, tris them together and pulls them down your throat behind it!  But I wouldn't dare go anywhere near a modelling knife afterwards... or for that matter a keyboard!

yes that's the plan I'll join them up and incorporate them into the inner fuselage some how. yes I like both too. I only had a pint and a half.?  I can ramble without booze inside. :D more later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For giggles, and to show I am here and not a bot (Would a bot put and after a comma? Not at St Phils he/it wouldn't)

Six Inch  = nominal length

Half Round  = An approximation of cross section

Second Cut  = The bit that does the trick, not too rough but harsh enough to remove waste

SIHRSC, the girl of all my hacking away moments, if I hadn 't just sawn the damned stuff out of the way

Johnty baby the Sea Venom is providing me with lots of 'enjoy the application of skill' moments

Bring it on

Keep safe

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/7/2020 at 9:04 AM, perdu said:

For giggles, and to show I am here and not a bot (Would a bot put and after a comma? Not at St Phils he/it wouldn't)

Six Inch  = nominal length

Half Round  = An approximation of cross section

Second Cut  = The bit that does the trick, not too rough but harsh enough to remove waste

SIHRSC, the girl of all my hacking away moments, if I hadn 't just sawn the damned stuff out of the way

Johnty baby the Sea Venom is providing me with lots of 'enjoy the application of skill' moments

Bring it on

Keep safe

That’s it!!!!! Tanks Bill.

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work fella, your exhaust fairing work is fantastic. Brilliant stuff.

All the best

Chris

Thank you sir. 

5 hours ago, James G said:

Super work as usual Johnny!

Ooh thank you. 🙌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey Spad !!

Congrats Man !! That work on the Engine and fuselage is first class !!

Keep carry on, I really enjoy !!!

Have a tasty strong BB on my behalf !!:cheers:

Sincerely.

CC

Well it was sunny. 🌞 I think it’s got something to do with me putting shorts on that is causing the water to fall from the sky. 😭 never mind I’ll sit under my garden umbrella and right this update.

Look what I found on eBay. 

49873879726_522bbf987b_b.jpg

amazing what people sell. I thought the pics were really useful so I pilfered them. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. The car reg is online anyway so it’s all good and safe. 👀 shhhh here are the other six.

49874756332_8db76e3e7f_b.jpg 49873348198_b63bf3915f_b.jpg 49874757922_ba15d18d56_b.jpg 49874741132_a1ea829986_b.jpg

49874188677_061f2a6ab1_b.jpg 49874757702_e109d89fb5_b.jpg

any way mid way through the engine conundrum I thought about how this goes together and what needs to be done to get the engine bay in place. No use beating around the bush I need to do the wings. 
you get a choice of wells, this is the sea venom choice.

49873903398_6ce2becf12_b.jpg

See that gap? There just next to the gap. 🙈 ok we can sort that.

first I need to cut this bit out.

49873880176_6595276da8_b.jpg

Fast forward a few careful minutes. 

49874435426_75b8ca6dc1_b.jpg

uh oh. Dexter has been around again. 🤣well the ice truck killer but you get the gist . 🔪

Ok now I have the bits I need, glue time.

49874437056_9a39197d77_b.jpg

This bit needs some love too.

49873880091_54ef264b2c_b.jpg

More gaps in the well.

49874446946_78a51b30cc_b.jpg

I will use plasticard to fill in the gaps.

49874188752_03e1db7e8a_b.jpg 49874446996_0c8fdc53f7_b.jpg

Lots of bending and blu tack and cutting and glueing.

49873348528_90bb1ba717_b.jpg

That’s a shin by the way. 🤪

That needs to dry. I made another decision on the front well. 
I have cut the the roof off and I’ll use the office floor as the well like in the real Aeroplane. There really is no other way to do it. There isn’t enough room. So.

49874447021_fb9427aff8_b.jpg

some card needed but it’ll look better overall. 😍

Where were we? Ahhh yes.

49874758102_1e08f86c3f_b.jpg

Most of the excess removed and the base shape are pretty good. From the other side.

49873903428_f7acdabecf_b.jpg

This was where I left her yesterday. As the sun was too good to miss.

49873880511_e5ae7548dc_b.jpg

And the night was too good to miss too.

49874448246_44ea761587_b.jpg

The hens were also on top form.

49874448336_372a9958c8_b.jpg

And not on the bbq. 
This morning saw some cutting and sanding.

49874435346_5826c74cce_b.jpg

The well shouldn’t have that join so I decided to go all @perdu and add lashings of filler.

49874448296_364d257141_b.jpg

It’s PPP So easy to remove later.

Here we are after drying and sanding.

49873903303_88cfe30d94_b.jpg

Looked good until I did a prime check.

49874188602_b9e7d372fe_b.jpg

🤦‍♂️ Not too bad but attention required.

The bench was looking messy and the sun looked too nice.

49874448401_e8fff90ff2_b.jpg

Sooooo. Garden micro meshing.

49873880036_a7737ee8e0_b.jpg

And tother side.

49873880421_db9e31948a_b.jpg

It was at this point I had a major wobble. I saw someone else doing this and looking at their build there was a bit of a join between the two boom sections. Where the flap goes. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
but after a fevered few searches on the web I found.

49873915243_6704b98123_c.jpg

So panic off. I popped some more primer on, still wet here.

49874188832_44cea717b0_b.jpg

But over all not too bad. Just got to do the other side. 😇🤗 

Today has mostly been spent in the garden but the fam have vanished once the clouds came out so I’m out here all alone. Well I have Zero and the hens. 👍

more tomorrow.  

Fire later. 🤦‍♂️🔥 And yes beer. 🍻

Hope you are all having a beautiful looooong weekend. Take care and as always Happy Modelling.

Johnny

• Like 26

I have a beer here too, cheers! 

Nice work on the wing section but I can't help thinking when I look at the pic of you holding it: that inner wing section is about the same size as the wing span on my FE8!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Oooh, some proper surgery going on here :tasty: Great job Johnny - and glad you've enjoyed some sunshine too. :)

Ciao

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

49873879726_522bbf987b_b.jpg

amazing what people sell.

You're not wrong! 

Did you put in a bid.... ⁉️

That hen, she's got her beady eye on you. 

Oh yeah, she's got your number all right. 

"Your name is ALSO going on the list... 

What is it?" 

"Don't tell her Spad....!" 🙊

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

It was at this point I had a major wobble. I saw someone else doing this and looking at their build there was a bit of a join between the two boom sections. Where the flap goes. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

To prevent further wobbles you can always PM me if you get stuck (Cept for the chicken,I know nowt about them)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

great engine shots  and no doubt will be very useful to you.  Of course you know that since you have shown all that detail we expect to see it fully replicated in your build don't you?

• Haha 4

On 5/10/2020 at 2:50 AM, The Spadgent said:

Looks in remarkably good nick - until they left it out in the rain...

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, limeypilot said:

I have a beer here too, cheers! 

Nice work on the wing section but I can't help thinking when I look at the pic of you holding it: that inner wing section is about the same size as the wing span on my FE8!

Ian

Oh man I would love a beer right now. Just started my 5/2 again after a month or so off. No beer today. 🤨 I’ll keep it till tomorrow. I saw your vac form beauty I need to give the thread a proper read. Looks lovely.  Thanks by the way. 🤩

On 5/9/2020 at 6:58 PM, Spookytooth said:

A cold beer on a nice day, why not Johnny.

All looking quite relaxed in the garden.

The wing area is shaping nice too.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Aaaargh more beer talk. 🤩🥳🥳 Thanks Simon it’s been a busy week. 🤓

On 5/9/2020 at 7:52 PM, CedB said:

Nice work Johnny, they’ve turned out really well :) 

Thanks Ced. It’s like a puzzle box this one.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:03 PM, giemme said:

Oooh, some proper surgery going on here :tasty: Great job Johnny - and glad you've enjoyed some sunshine too. :)

Ciao

Thanks G. Looking forward to more sun tomorrow and next week.

On 5/9/2020 at 8:28 PM, rob Lyttle said:

You're not wrong! 

Did you put in a bid.... ⁉️

That hen, she's got her beady eye on you. 

Oh yeah, she's got your number all right. 

"Your name is ALSO going on the list... 

What is it?" 

"Don't tell her Spad....!" 🙊

Ha! No a little out of my budget. It was just over £3.000.

On 5/9/2020 at 11:39 PM, NAVY870 said:

To prevent further wobbles you can always PM me if you get stuck (Cept for the chicken,I know nowt about them)

Thank you sir much appreciated.

On 5/10/2020 at 1:26 AM, hendie said:

great engine shots  and no doubt will be very useful to you.  Of course you know that since you have shown all that detail we expect to see it fully replicated in your build don't you?

Some of it.     Some.  Of. It.. 🤩🤪

On 5/10/2020 at 12:21 PM, Bigdave22014 said:

Please note the "Security" in the second picture 🐶 of the engine.

That'll look nice next to the chicken run John.

Bark! 🤣

On 5/12/2020 at 2:26 AM, Bell209 said:

Looks in remarkably good nick - until they left it out in the rain...

Water proof surely. 😇

• Like 2

Hey guys. Feels like forever since I poked my nose in. Work has been cRaZy busy which I guess I shouldn’t Moan about under the circumstances. 🤪😍😇

Steady work has gone on with the beast.

I had cut back the office floor but it looked a bit bobbins so I fashioned this from thin plasticard to fit in the hole of the floor.

49884496206_85298fac5b_b.jpg

The main curve is shown here. The rest will be straightened out when it dries.

More plasticard was added to the intakes to lose the seams and a little bit added to the outer one so you don’t see directly into the wing.

49884496211_412c49d418_b.jpg

The intake parts were sanded and filed to lose the seams here too.

49884496201_10f4a968d3_b.jpg

The nose well was looking good from here.

49884804287_07e95ef9e2_b.jpg

I used a cocktail stick to hold the shape while it all set, with a blu tac chaser.

🤔😬🤣

49883971658_127152675a_b.jpg

Now what do we think about scribing panel lines? These were taken from drawings and the smaller 1/72 dragon venom. I’ve seen lots of ref pics that have plenty of rivets some look like massive screws but nobody seems to ever re scribe this kit. Is

it a mistake to do this?

49884804282_1525596073_b.jpg

Here’s a pencil idea? Comments gents?

I had also drilled out the gun channels so I made these little fellas to add in when painted. 1mm plastruct rod drilled to suit.

49895171402_09519d3259_b.jpg

Here is the nose well dry fit. I’ll need to detail but I’m much happier with the depth.

49895171512_c7fe03b1b2_b.jpg

From the other side not sure if you can make it out but the well fits snugly into the office hump in the floor. 🤩

49895172322_8e5fed5a91_b.jpg

I glued the few bits onto the back of the intake Pipe bits and tested the fire wall. I’ll need to add a lot of pipage but it should be ok.

49895172437_96e0c6cb34_b.jpg

Overall I think it’ll fill up quite nicely.

49894864691_ec5804af64_b.jpg

Oh and my 1:1 scale turnips and other choice veg are going nicely.

49894864726_3684fe6910_b.jpg

I need to start pulling all these parts together now for paint. The engine bay needs details after that. It’s going to need some thought on how these bits get painted/ glued now. Slow but sure. 😇🤩

Hope you’re all well and looking forward to the weekend.

Take care and as always folks.

Happy Modelling.

Johnny weekend

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 15

Looking good so far. WRT the rivets any of the pictures of Venom/vampires on the interweb look quite smooth and rivet free, it looks to me as if countersunk heads were used then plainished smooth ( I used to work on engines and this is what we did for rivet heads that were in the jet airflow) then painted over. Now on a very distressed or worn airframe these will start to show through the paintwork as little (~10mm diameter) cracks, in extreme cases circular patches. It’s very common to see on airliners, if you ever get to fly on a plane again take a look at the rivet lines around the door.

Now to cut a very long and rambling reply short( areas or high stress may have visible rivet heads and in 1/32 you probably should see them but if you’re doing a factory finish no rivets even in the silver ones as they look like paint not an nmf.  Sigh.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

a larger version of this photo can be found here

Swiss_Air_Force_De_Havilland_DH-112_Mk_4

personally I'd keep away from panel lines and rivets. It was a very smooth skinned aircraft with an occasional greeblie or two on the underside

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1