"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

Nice work on the seat Johnny. I would however do a dry run to make sure that it is not sitting too high and fouling the canopy.

Martian 👽

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Nice work on the seat Johnny. I would however do a dry run to make sure that it is not sitting too high and fouling the canopy.

Martian 👽

That reads a bit like a lesson learned the hard way, Martian. 

Good call..... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

That seat looks a lot better Johnny.

The addition of those rivets/bolts gives it an edge.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. 🙌

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Martian 👽

It’s about the same as it was but that is a very good call. Thanks. I am hoping to have the canopy open however. 

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Cool job on the bang seat, Johnny! :clap:

Looks very promising :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks G. 🤩

1 hour ago, Lewis95 said:

Very nice changes to the seat. Will you go for an open pit to show it off? 

Thanks. Indeed. 😇

4 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Good call..... 

yes. Yes it is. I’ll check. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Wrong wheels??? Oh gawd.... 🤗😬🤪🤣 I’ll see what happens eh. By the way what seats did you get? Thanks for tagging along.

Hi Johnny

Wow, great work on the seat fella, it looks amazing.  The seats I bought are AMS resin ones sent all the way from Australia via BNA Model World via Ebay.  The same company also do replacement wheels too, but funds are always diverted in different directions when I think I will get them, if you know what I mean, so interested to see what you do with the wheels.

Great work so far

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Good call..... 

No, it just looked a bit on the high side in the picture.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Nice work on that seat Johnny, looking very smart :) 

Pie tin foil eh? I hope you enjoyed 'cleaning up' the contents! :Tasty:

The punch and die box is a joy too eh? Something to fondle when you have to punch out some more scratch bits (fnaar!)

• Thanks 1

Your work on the seat is outstanding will look good when painted.................NOW ALL you have to do is repeat the process for the second seat!

Love your attention to the small details that really move the model to the next level!

Stay safe             Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The seat looks great, Johnny. Don't forget to add the ejection gun as it would be quite visible from the rear. Steve might be able to give you a shot of it from his at Camden.

• Thanks 1

I built one of these about 5 years ago and like you built it from the box but with scratchbuilt extras around the cockpit.  I also added some details to the engine and the undercarriage bays.

One word of caution.  I had major issues getting the engine bulkheads to fit.  I can't remember exactly what the problem was but do recall that I came very close to putting the whole thing in the bin.

But I'm afraid i must take issue one of our learned colleagues on here:  

On 12/04/2020 at 22:44, NAVY870 said:

Seats are Martin Baker Mark 4A-1 for the driver and Mark 4A-1A for the passenger 

Whilst I totally acknowledge that you have far more knowledge of Sea Venoms than I will ever have, as an Observer, albeit rotary wing, I object to my predecessors being referred to as passengers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

as an Observer, albeit rotary wing, I object to my predecessors being referred to as passengers!

My mistake

I meant to say the ballast bloke in the other seat 😈

(Please note I'd happily part with a bodily appendage or two to be that ballast/bloke. 40 years I've been playing with Sea Venom's and still haven't seen one fly!)

Edited by NAVY870
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 4/13/2020 at 10:31 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny

Wow, great work on the seat fella, it looks amazing.  The seats I bought are AMS resin ones sent all the way from Australia via BNA Model World via Ebay.  The same company also do replacement wheels too, but funds are always diverted in different directions when I think I will get them, if you know what I mean, so interested to see what you do with the wheels.

Great work so far

All the best

Chris

Yes I had my eye on those but this way is always more fun or painful as you’ll find out. 😇🤪😬

On 4/13/2020 at 11:34 PM, Martian Hale said:

No, it just looked a bit on the high side in the picture.

Martian 👽

All checked. It’s fine. Thanks for the heads up though. 

On 4/14/2020 at 7:13 AM, CedB said:

Nice work on that seat Johnny, looking very smart :) 

Pie tin foil eh? I hope you enjoyed 'cleaning up' the contents! :Tasty:

The punch and die box is a joy too eh? Something to fondle when you have to punch out some more scratch bits (fnaar!)

I could do with a pie now to be fair. 🤤

On 4/14/2020 at 9:40 AM, Hamden said:

Your work on the seat is outstanding will look good when painted.................NOW ALL you have to do is repeat the process for the second seat!

Love your attention to the small details that really move the model to the next level!

Stay safe             Roger

Now there’s the rub. 😆

On 4/15/2020 at 8:41 AM, Back in the Saddle said:

The seat is looking splendid! I built this kit (badly) years ago and it’s now my mule for airbrushing...

Oh man I always hate to see a good kit go down. 😔

On 4/16/2020 at 5:20 AM, Bell209 said:

The seat looks great, Johnny. Don't forget to add the ejection gun as it would be quite visible from the rear. Steve might be able to give you a shot of it from his at Camden.

The ejection who the what? If you have any pics that would be great.  😇

On 4/16/2020 at 9:10 AM, Chewbacca said:

I built one of these about 5 years ago and like you built it from the box but with scratchbuilt extras around the cockpit.  I also added some details to the engine and the undercarriage bays.

One word of caution.  I had major issues getting the engine bulkheads to fit.  I can't remember exactly what the problem was but do recall that I came very close to putting the whole thing in the bin.

But I'm afraid i must take issue one of our learned colleagues on here:  

Whilst I totally acknowledge that you have far more knowledge of Sea Venoms than I will ever have, as an Observer, albeit rotary wing, I object to my predecessors being referred to as passengers!

Thanks for the info. Did you do a WIP perchance? 

On 4/16/2020 at 10:20 AM, NAVY870 said:

My mistake

I meant to say the ballast bloke in the other seat 😈

(Please note I'd happily part with a bodily appendage or two to be that ballast/bloke. 40 years I've been playing with Sea Venom's and still haven't seen one fly!)

One day . ❤️

• Like 2

Hey guys. It’s been a while since the last update. I didn’t manage much over the break and work has kind of put a stopper on it too but I’ll be back soon. I started  documenting the second seat.

With the wonder that is hindsight I figured if any one else wants to do this I would re do this one step by step.

First off cut the middle of the headrest to the base.

49774415243_5e08c8277f_b.jpg

Then drill around the perimeter to make the pass easy to remove with a swan Morton blade.

49774415088_35f2ff6011_b.jpg

Blade around the edge and clean up. Then sand off the detail on the lower pad and seat. ( I chopped the lower pad off before seemingly for no reason. )🤪

49774945766_4eacfa956b_b.jpg

This was the point we’re I was cutting toward myself (idiot) and sunk the most part of the blade into the tip of my thumb.

49774945656_1d15f486a7_b.jpg

I eventually stopped the bleed and went to walk the dog. 😳😯😩

I did however do a little more but my throbbing thumb was a bit painful.

49774415208_b16c7fff63_b.jpg

plasticard cut to rough shape and Tamiya green roped into position.

49774945621_73cd686468_b.jpg

And the back.

I left it there to stick. I’ll tidy up in the next sitting. Fingers crossed this weekend. Plaster off ze thumb so all good to go. 🤩

thanks for dropping by. Small update I know but all progress is good progress right? Happy modelling chums.

Johnny. 🤗

• Like 17
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Yes I had my eye on those but this way is always more fun or painful as you’ll find out. 😇🤪😬

Yes so have I but I am resisting as I will see if I can learn from your build and save some dosh too , hope the thumb is okay.

Keep up the good work

Chris

• Thanks 1

Giorgio cuts himself, now Johnny.

They say these things come in threes.

Watch out boys! :shutup:

Stay safe.

Nice work on the seat Johnny :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Done that to my thumb many times! Just bought some 22 blades for the ancient big scalpel! Or thumb splitter as I call it.  Nice work on an oldie. My output has stopped as I try and work out if it’s hayfever or an allergy to tamiya extra thin 😟

Edited by Wince
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:
On 4/16/2020 at 2:20 PM, Bell209 said:

The ejection who the what? If you have any pics that would be great.  😇

All your questions answered here!

• Thanks 2

On 4/17/2020 at 5:46 PM, The Spadgent said:

This was the point we’re I was cutting toward myself (idiot) and sunk the most part of the blade into the tip of my thumb.

On 4/17/2020 at 5:53 PM, giemme said:

I did cut through two fingers while modelling this week

Jayzus lads, it's not a competition...

Most handsome progress on the seating Johnny,  good to see you transferring surgery from yourself to the actual kit! (Hope it's healing swiftly mate.)

• Haha 6

I must be the third one then. I managed to cut a slot in the end of my right thumb while picking up my No22 swan Morton scalpel. Doh!

21 hours ago, Wince said:

an allergy to tamiya extra thin

The fumes have been causing me problems all week, though I have been pretty liberal with it as I've had large areas of plastic card to glue down.

Oh, I think there was a nice WIP of a seat somewhere here...?

• Like 2