"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

If I'm adding weight into the nose cone, I just cut a plasticard disc and glue it inside the open end to "cap" it all in.

No issues with glue/weight reactions then, and it's all held securely in place.

I've even made up "boxes" where I have space in the fuselage to hold it all secure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Afternoon you lot.

Sorry that this has been not the most exciting build over the last few updates but one must know how much fitting and sanding goes into this kit. Folk must do it but not report it. I’ve seen a few builds of this kit but hell i must have done something wrong as I seem to be adding more filler than any of those build. Either that or they hide it well. Either way the light can be seen. She’s currently drying in ze booth so I figured I’d post a half time report. 🗣

So after scribing and realising I shouldn’t have 🤦‍♂️ I filled and sanded and test primed.

49980171306_f69ab61a2c_b.jpg

While that dried I sanded the booms.

49980149646_5847d35dbf_b.jpg

See the seam? Seems we have seams. Time to sand the seams it seems. 💇

49980171176_56e26bd841_b.jpg

Better. I think I might have to scratch some new tail protectors as the shape of the kit ones are a bit soft. 💁‍♂️
Now dry I had stuffed some foam into the vents ready for more sanding action and checked the finish.

49980425457_3b9a09feb9_b.jpg

Not bad. 🤗

Really getting there.

49980404052_87dc3ebf42_b.jpg

A little more sanding on the intakes, bottom and top.

49980425437_839bdbdf94_b.jpg

As the end of that session finished I glued some more sub assemblies.

49980149691_411281bcb6_b.jpg

I think I’ll need to pop the booms on soon as I have heard rumbling of fit issues there too. After yesterday’s session there was the best double rainbow.

49980425537_2e848be12b_b.jpg

I took this as a sign that things were going well and I’d hit the venom early the next morning. (Today)🌈🌈

Early ish start saw pretty much all masking removed and replaced getting ready for a good primer before paint.

The pit got a new cover. Beater of course.

49980403987_e1819cd413_b.jpg

The ghost has survived and under spray.

49980425402_4095b3943f_b.jpg

I know they probably aren’t the right size or placement but I popped in the other tubes that have been missing in the wrong space.

49980404017_bc83bf647b_b.jpg

And filled a few line rifles here and there.

Ok then.... ready top.

49980171186_108ca4ec5f_b.jpg

And bottom.

49980404042_a0011754f9_b.jpg

As you can see I re-masked the tail too as to not lose that little bit of white. 😍

Aaaaaaand pssssssssssst!

49980171181_ba90b65516_b.jpg

I’m really happy with that.

49980403917_fd73b93c01_b.jpg

The shape looks great without all those filler and sanding marks. The pack panel it stuck on with gators grip. I’ll pop that off after painting has finished.

well if paint is in the air I need to sort out the outer wings. @hendie made brass fin things. As I have no brass I’ll make thinner ones from plasticard.

49980425452_489dc3a188_b.jpg

Which of these fins is it??

Ahhh the one that didn’t have chips for dinner last night. 🤣

49980171311_a33301ba39_b.jpg

That fits well. Just need to make another.

Ok I think the top is dry by now so I’ll go at the other side. In other news the 1:1 scale veg is coming along. 

49979626143_2c8dcf73cb_b.jpg

can’t remember if I showed my very high raised bed I made a month or so ago.  Well it seems to be doing the trick. 🍃🌱🌿☘️
Thanks for dropping by.

more venom action later on.

take care and as always. Happy modelling.

ps.

oh and I know most of you have but if you haven’t please consider donating to the BritModeller server fund. What would we all do without this wonderful site? On the streets. Sniffing rocket red not knowing what to do with ourselves. Gawd help us. 🤣🤣🤪

link is on the home page. ❤️

See y’all later.

Comments welcome.

Johnny

• Like 13

36 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

If I'm adding weight into the nose cone, I just cut a plasticard disc and glue it inside the open end to "cap" it all in.

No issues with glue/weight reactions then, and it's all held securely in place.

I've even made up "boxes" where I have space in the fuselage to hold it all secure.

Now that’s smart!!! I’ll bank that one. 🙌🤛

• Like 1

looking forward to seeing the full color version Johnny.  She's looking the business now.

You really should get some brass at the next opportunity - it comes in handy on a multitude of occasions 

• Thanks 1

I now see just how big this beastie is! Lovely work as usual, it's always nice when primer reveals no need for further seam work.

I did have a flashback to Basil Brush though....BOOM, BOOM!

Sorry, I'll leave now.

Ian

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

please consider donating to the BritModeller server fund. What would we all do without this wonderful site?

I KNOW.... ‼️

And they give you a gold bar and everything 🤩Yayy 

Can you imagine if there was popup adverts and spam junk all over the site? 

Doesn't bear thinking about, does it 😶⁉️

Loving the look of the Venom 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hendie said:

looking forward to seeing the full color version Johnny.  She's looking the business now.

You really should get some brass at the next opportunity - it comes in handy on a multitude of occasions 

I think my first venture might be brass rod. 👌

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I now see just how big this beastie is! Lovely work as usual, it's always nice when primer reveals no need for further seam work.

I did have a flashback to Basil Brush though....BOOM, BOOM!

Sorry, I'll leave now.

Ian

🦊 Boom Boom indeed! 🤣

2 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I KNOW.... ‼️

And they give you a gold bar and everything 🤩Yayy 

Can you imagine if there was popup adverts and spam junk all over the site? 

Doesn't bear thinking about, does it 😶⁉️

Loving the look of the Venom 

I know. I’ve been going to donate for a while so the little nudge was all I needed. 😇

• Like 2

A little more before I had to cook dinner.

guess what this is?

49980793728_d9a62b777e_b.jpg

? Any ideas ?

Well let me tell you. It’s one of the four tubes that is on the belly. Doesn’t look very tube like does it.😫 I Think a lot of the little bits aren’t going to be hollow. 😔

I remember @hendie building some (you guessed it) brass ones for his venom so I figured I could do the same with plastic.

49981574807_2fecd7587b_b.jpg

Not bad but really fiddly does I figured I’d build a long tube and cut the bits using that. 🤔🤞 heres the constructed tube.

49981574772_e69707f98e_b.jpg

I didn’t think there were any parts for the rear combing. I’m planning on scratching all that but looking at the instructions there’s this part.

49981322486_2060e71655_b.jpg

Looks ok actually but the instructions say in the middle where as that would get in the way of the canopy opening mechanism. Any ideas if this is right to have it to one side?

Next up then is the basil brush section.🦊

49981322536_f7d497974e_b.jpg

strangely the fit is spot on. 🤣🙌😇

I need some structure inside to add strength so I added some Plasticard loops. 

49981322531_8a011c5f46_b.jpg

The whole assembly actually fits well. 
right dinner. So fingers crossed for more later. 

Thanks for popping in.

Johnny.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

That was a heck of a lot of a progress, Johnny! :clap2:Great to see all the filling went well in the end. :thumbsup:

And yes, get some brass, both in tube and sheet form. Listen to @hendie, he knows his modelling stuff :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

49979626143_2c8dcf73cb_b.jpg

can’t remember if I showed my very high raised bed I made a month or so ago.

It looks like your veggies should be quite palletable. Ahem :coat:

Things are looking very nice with a coat of white, really smooth. Without the booms it does look rather Sci Fi. Hmmm, I wonder......

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Hydraulic tank needs to move to the left otherwise you wont get the canopy to fit.

Thanks. As in where it is now? Or more left. Is that port? More port. Mmmmm more port. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks. As in where it is now? Or more left. Is that port? More port. Mmmmm more port. 

Outboard of where it is now, its almost hard up against the window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2020 at 6:45 PM, giemme said:

That was a heck of a lot of a progress, Johnny! :clap2:Great to see all the filling went well in the end. :thumbsup:

And yes, get some brass, both in tube and sheet form. Listen to @hendie, he knows his modelling stuff :winkgrin:

Ciao

Thanks. You’re not wrong he’s a demon with Ze brass. 👌

22 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Excellent work John.

Could be fun painting her once she is together though.

Simon.

Oh I do hope so.

18 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Johnny, not sure how I fell behind, but awesome work--I will be reaching out to you fir advice when I tackle my next RAF or Fleet Air Arm jet!  Best, Erwin 

Any time just pop me a line. 😇

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It looks like your veggies should be quite palletable. Ahem :coat:

Things are looking very nice with a coat of white, really smooth. Without the booms it does look rather Sci Fi. Hmmm, I wonder......

I know. She looks ace. Wait till you see wings on. 🤗

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Great update Johnny - looking very smooth now :) 

Thanks. I’m worried a little too smooth. But I’m Sure she’ll look fine. 🤗

8 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Outboard of where it is now, its almost hard up against the window.

thank you for that. The instructions are clear as mud. It’s odd I have never seen anyone add this part. Is it the wrong shape or something?

4 hours ago, perdu said:

I reckon he means portish, to the port like.

Port it is. 🍷

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Mini Monday update. I couldn’t resist crawling back up to the cave to see if everything “just” fitted.

49985611452_a6e70b83c5_b.jpg

Well wonder be!!! 🍯

Not a bad fit at all. A huge step but I’ve had worse.

49985611562_e2b77a9824_b.jpg

And the other side.

49985353926_6963568a68_b.jpg

That’s the business that is. 😍

49985611457_7086a4c8e8_b.jpg

everything just kind of lined up.

I did get Noises that the booms didn’t sit right but hell.

49985611432_fe98762960_b.jpg

Off the bat that’s pretty good. I’ll bank that and not talk of it again.

Checking @hendie’s build I thought I knew what I was doing with the tubes. Alas I was wrong. After making the tubes I couldn’t see where to put them as I had sanded off all the detail. 🤦‍♂️ So out with the ref. 

49984834873_14b5e30756_b.jpg

whaaaaaaa??? 😫🤦‍♂️ Holes!!!! And the tubes on the kit actually look ok. Or they will when I drill holes in em.

Nothing for it. 🤔 I have balls of lead in the nose cone. I’m going to need another set of metal balls for this next bit.

49985611347_553b86215a_b.jpg

🤪🥳🤪😫🤪🥳 don’t worry that’s not a crack in the middle it’s a pencil line. I makes out where I need to make the holes and went at my lovely smooth bottom with a drill. (Didn’t think I’d write that line today🤣) after carefully cutting out the middle section with a blade and a micro chisel. I glued Plasticard stripes at the extremities to square them off.

49985354031_db3718684d_b.jpg

Then another, they had indeed turned to steel by this time so more holes were had,

49985611372_e8e42a1f49_b.jpg

Oh gawd this better look good.

49985611367_d11482a4eb_b.jpg

cleaned up and burst of primer. Phew. 😍👌🙌 just two to do. There seems to be lots of holes and lines and panels under here that I might try and add for a bit of a detail run. We shall see. 
Thanks for the help once again. A few bits need to happen before paint proper but she’s close.

I have to scratch the rear combing thing. Paint the canopy and the opening part needs fitting. All the little vents could do with cleaning and adding too. This along with any little hatch or panel details. Oh and I need to smooth that boom join. 🤣Hmmm 🤔 things just got interesting.

Take care y’all . Have a great week.

Johnny

• Like 18

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

It’s odd I have never seen anyone add this part. Is it the wrong shape or something?

No idea why people dont fit it, its a fairly important kit and all the two seat Venoms have it in the same spot.

The kit shape is fine, only missing the sight glass and fittings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1