"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

3 hours ago, khitomer said:

Followed your 1/24 Hurricane, gave me loads of inspiration. Now enjoying your amazing work on this old kit, wish I could find one for my stash!

Kingkit has two Matchbox ones in stock at the moment.

• Like 2

That's a nice engine bay Spad Congrats !! Very tidy job !!

And nice saving of the pew, did it gome from a church ?

Or maybe a big house insanely common) on the thames's bank ??

Whatever, it look like a new one !!

Bravo !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

The belt cleaner sounded good so I did a bit of searching. Silverline make one and it's had good reviews on the bay. Guess what, it's cheaper too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-218490-Sanding-Belt-Cleaning-Block-150-x-75-x-25-mm/183684193170?epid=2254439766&hash=item2ac46e5b92:g:JQ0AAOSwl2hcZC1-

• Thanks 1

Hi Pete,

Actually looking at that one, mine may be a Silverline one......nice cost saving too!

I don't use Milliput so haven't had Ced's bad experience with it blocking the grit

Cheers all

Geoff

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 7:17 AM, CedB said:

Thanks Johnny, much appreciated! 

I'll remember that for later - and make sure I use wet and dry paper for Milliput! :) 

Venom looking the business… 

Thanks Mr B. I’m getting paint withdrawal symptoms. 🤪

On 6/2/2020 at 8:35 AM, Martian said:

This has the potential to be the best Sea Venom I have seen.

Martian 👽

Oh gawd don’t say that! 🤪   Ahhh you did say potential. 😇. Thanks oh tentacled one. 

On 6/2/2020 at 9:37 AM, giemme said:

It will. I know it will. I bl...y know it will. 

:frantic:

Excellent progress, Johnny! :clap:

As for masking those tubes: tiny little balls of blue tack, applied with a very pointy cocktail stick, that's what I do.HTH

Ciao

Thanks G balls added. 🥳

On 6/2/2020 at 10:57 AM, Spookytooth said:

All looking good from here Johnny.

It is nice to see that you used PPE while sanding down the Pew.

I hope that you were keeping your fluids up though. :drink:

Simon.

I was actually. 🍻 and thanks.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:01 PM, Kitsticker said:

Hi Johnny,

Very nice work on the plane and the pew (that's 2 p's for you, not quite PPP)

For cleaning my abrasives (ooer) I use a rubber pad I bought from Screwfix yonks ago - it's now called Titan Abrasive Belt Cleaner at £8.49 a pop - sounds a lot but I find it cleans everything - power tool sanding belts/pads, wet & dry, micromesh, steel files, mini-tool grindstones, everything so far

I bought 2 about 14 years ago and the first one is but part worn - I'd recommend anyone who does a lot of sanding, like most of us here I guess, get one

Onwards and upwards!

Geoff

Oooh thanks. 🥂

On 6/2/2020 at 7:47 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Just done a very interesting catch up. It's looking good. And big! As is the pew. Handy for praying your engine fits though. And for emergency landings too.

Thanks yes they are both rather large.😀

On 6/2/2020 at 9:22 PM, hendie said:

and this goes in front of the pew with something/someone nailed to it perchance?      

All pray to the Church of De Havilland !

Next build... a small altar perhaps?

Ha yes I have been praying quite a lot to the modelling gods. 😇

On 6/3/2020 at 9:53 AM, khitomer said:

Followed your 1/24 Hurricane, gave me loads of inspiration. Now enjoying your amazing work on this old kit, wish I could find one for my stash!

Thanks. Both lovely to build. I must be mad. 🤔🤗

On 6/3/2020 at 1:33 PM, fatalbert said:

Kingkit has two Matchbox ones in stock at the moment.

A heafty price mind. 

On 6/3/2020 at 4:31 PM, corsaircorp said:

That's a nice engine bay Spad Congrats !! Very tidy job !!

And nice saving of the pew, did it gome from a church ?

Or maybe a big house insanely common) on the thames's bank ??

Whatever, it look like a new one !!

Bravo !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC yes it’s from a church Manchester I think. 😇

On 6/3/2020 at 4:58 PM, SafetyDad said:

Getting closer to the finish now - your engine bay is very well done indeed. Like the pew too. How did you transport that? It's colossal!!

:like:

SD

Close to the finish? Yous crazy bonkers. 🤪 We got the pew from “the bay” I think it Was delivered by two very tired looking gents in a big van. 🙃

23 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

The belt cleaner sounded good so I did a bit of searching. Silverline make one and it's had good reviews on the bay. Guess what, it's cheaper too!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-218490-Sanding-Belt-Cleaning-Block-150-x-75-x-25-mm/183684193170?epid=2254439766&hash=item2ac46e5b92:g:JQ0AAOSwl2hcZC1-

Oooh great tip. Thanks.

• Like 3

Hey you lot hope you’re all having a great week. Thanks for all the interest in this big filler and sanding escapade. 🤪

So to begin with do you remember this.

49960955248_16f7415ae9_b.jpg

Well that dried. It looked like it was fitting pretty well so I popped it on the mat one morning and went back to work on the landing. (That’s where my work desk is now) guess what was on the mat when I got back at the end of the day?

49970954888_77f179416a_b.jpg

🤨 what the hell. I figured it was the sun so I popped em back in and topped up with pva. 🕰⏱⏲

two days it was in there. Two days and still it was soggy. 🤨😫😫😫 so out with the goop. I gave my balls a wash. (Steady) and did the same with rocket hot.

49970532558_5a5b6513ea_b.jpg

That was dry by today. 🤩

I was planning on fitting this after I’d sanded as this can’t be a bad fit can it?

......🤞can it 🤔.......

well let’s see. 🤨

49971472906_5313e4388d_b.jpg

Hmmmm 

keep your eyes on the balls.

49971046641_9c834b4e90_b.jpg

They mask my tubes (thanks @giemme
That way you don’t see the gaps.😶🙄😬

49970954738_1856957219_b.jpg

or that step. 🛤😯

Soooooo I did the mashed potato.

49970532338_87de283b65_b.jpg

Dried and sanded.

49971735162_be76b148c8_b.jpg

That’s looking better. 🤗

now for the next little assemblies. The vents got their internals painted with EDSG and fitted.

49970532553_58535882e9_b.jpg

To be fair they actually fitted off the bat but ..... you guessed it. There were gaps.

look there’s sunlight through this one. 🤣🌞

49970954743_c1336f3426_b.jpg

I see more filler in my future. 😬🙄🤣

I decided to fit other bits to check for monster gaps. The wings get a strength block added that needed some heavy duty sanding to fit.

49970532818_134a7bc072_b.jpg

But I’m guessing because of the wing fold a seam here is ok?

49970532498_14d62610ca_b.jpg

Actually huge. 🤩 I checked the nose with a spot of primer. I need to re scribe that nose cone. (Hold that thought)

Here’s just before the nose cone re scribe.

49970954778_fd02ec5d02_b.jpg

Stupidly I checked my reference after the scribing happened.  Yup you guessed it. There is no line really. 🙄 so she now sits filled again in what seems like a constant state of ppp filled filing crazyness. 🤪🤪🤪 oh by the way I made a new purchase.

This arrived.

49971046646_74c6e163b4_b.jpg

I know it’s lacking wings and the spiny bit at the front but I’ve been talking to my old man about his time in Egypt during the Suez Crisis. I said I’d build his “Calamity Jane”

49971034136_1834d337b0_c.jpg

Obvs this was in the UK (Salisbury) to be precise.  Hope you’ll all join along when the time comes. 🤗😇

Thanks for dropping in. I hope you are all still keeping well. Take care and as always.

Happy modelling.

Johnny. 🙌

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

No, it's a really poor performer in that kind of quantity @Back in the Saddle.

It kind of forms a skin that prevents the main bulk of glue from drying out. 

I had hoped that Johnny 's nosecone might have got itself together, but that hope was in vain by the look of it. 

Still, plan B has been a good one 👌

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I’ve never seen PVA do that before... had it set at all? Heat/sun should speed up the curing process.

Yes the top dried really well alas as Rob said. Still all good in the end. 🙌

37 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

No, it's a really poor performer in that kind of quantity @Back in the Saddle.

It kind of forms a skin that prevents the main bulk of glue from drying out. 

I had hoped that Johnny 's nosecone might have got itself together, but that hope was in vain by the look of it. 

Still, plan B has been a good one 👌

Indeed. Good old rocket red eh. ❤️

• Like 2

Ooooh that's a great idea Spad !!

Sure that your father will be touched !!

I'll follow of course !!

Great progress on the Sea Venom too !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

I thought I’d pop my head in and pass comment on using PVA to fix lead in as ballast.

DON'T DO IT!

Railway modelling folk like to use the same technique to add ballast weight to locomotives. Over time, the PVA reacts with the lead and forces its way out of the model. It makes one heck of a mess. Better to use CA or epoxy resin or Evostik

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

... using PVA to fix lead in as ballast.

Railway modelling folk like to use the same technique to add ballast weight to locomotives. Over time, the PVA reacts with the lead and forces its way out of the model. It makes one heck of a mess. Better to use CA or epoxy resin or Evostik

Quite so.

PVA is a water based adhesive and lead will oxidise over time when exposed to moisture. Not a good combination.

The other danger is using 2 pack "rapid setting" adhesives, since these use a chemical reaction to set they will generate a lot of heat... which isn't good when attached to a plastic model.

Don't ask me how I know this...:rage:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heather Kay said:

I thought I’d pop my head in and pass comment on using PVA to fix lead in as ballast.

DON'T DO IT!

I assume PVA with non-lead based products such as DP Liquid Gravity is fine? Planning on making a "weight paste" that I can slather in all the holes I can find for my next few builds. 

Spad, your work is looking fantastic. Kit looks like a minor nightmare for fitting but the sheer size is fantastic! 

• Thanks 1

Hello Spad,

The more I look at the pic of your father, the more I think that you really are His father's son !!

Same smile, same attitude ! Save for the uniform, it could be you sitting on the Dingo !!

Amazingly enough, you have a sitting figure, soooo... You see what I mean ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

Really great work on the fuselage attending to each and every detail/fit as you come to them.

Stay safe            Roger

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2020 at 6:08 AM, CedB said:

Nice work Johnny :) 

You must be getting through PPP like nobody's business!

you wouldn’t believe 🤪. I think I’m going for something that has all the parts and fits next time for a bit of a rest. 🤣

On 6/5/2020 at 7:52 AM, giemme said:

Indeed! Great progress, Johnny! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G.

15 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really great work on the fuselage attending to each and every detail/fit as you come to them.

Stay safe            Roger

It’s the only way. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 12:04 AM, rob Lyttle said:

Sometimes you just need something with a bit of Ooomph! 

A situation like that needs stuff that will genuinely cure rather than dry out "in the air" 

I agree although I thought PVA was the safer option.

On 6/5/2020 at 7:30 AM, Heather Kay said:

DON'T DO IT!

Thanks for the tip but I’ve heard this the other way around. A few builds back Im sure someone said it was super glue that reacted with lead and expanded?
either way there’s no lead in ma balls (Ced🤣) so we should be ok. 🙌

23 hours ago, hairystick said:

Quite so.

PVA is a water based adhesive and lead will oxidise over time when exposed to moisture. Not a good combination.

The other danger is using 2 pack "rapid setting" adhesives, since these use a chemical reaction to set they will generate a lot of heat... which isn't good when attached to a plastic model.

Don't ask me how I know this...:rage:

Ouch. Right noted.

23 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

I assume PVA with non-lead based products such as DP Liquid Gravity is fine? Planning on making a "weight paste" that I can slather in all the holes I can find for my next few builds. 

Spad, your work is looking fantastic. Kit looks like a minor nightmare for fitting but the sheer size is fantastic! 

Still might not dry and I noticed even after drying the ova just peeled off. 😬 I think I’ll give that massive tube back to the kids. 🥳

• Haha 1

On 6/5/2020 at 1:43 AM, corsaircorp said:

Ooooh that's a great idea Spad !!

Sure that your father will be touched !!

I'll follow of course !!

Great progress on the Sea Venom too !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC he was well chuffed. (That’s a good thing)🤣

22 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

The more I look at the pic of your father, the more I think that you really are His father's son !!

Same smile, same attitude ! Save for the uniform, it could be you sitting on the Dingo !!

Amazingly enough, you have a sitting figure, soooo... You see what I mean ??

Sincerely.

CC

Yup tis the plan. I’ll pass on your words. It’ll make his day. 👌😀

• Like 1

Johnny, wow chum there has been a bit to do hasn't there but you are getting there

Very nice work too, always enjoy a spadbuild

Can I add a mot or two to the PVA debate?

Ordinary PVA gets the same press as our modelling stuff but isnt really closely related to it

Try using thin layers of Cockpit Glue Formula 560 instead, more expensive than Poundland but for once a better stuff to use

Let each layer dry with some of the ballast in before you put in a bit more like this mocked-up Lightning radar bullet.

A little cockpit glue allowed to dry, then again and then as here again

15748650115191071354763043601238.jpg

Look forward to a very rare foray into A R M O U R for your dad's little lorry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:04 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking bloomin impressive Johnny great work.  

All the best

Chris

Thanks. Feels like a filler /sanding rut at the moment but there is light. ☀️🌈

On 6/6/2020 at 9:19 AM, perdu said:

Johnny, wow chum there has been a bit to do hasn't there but you are getting there

Very nice work too, always enjoy a spadbuild

Can I add a mot or two to the PVA debate?

Ordinary PVA gets the same press as our modelling stuff but isnt really closely related to it

Try using thin layers of Cockpit Glue Formula 560 instead, more expensive than Poundland but for once a better stuff to use

Let each layer dry with some of the ballast in before you put in a bit more like this mocked-up Lightning radar bullet.

A little cockpit glue allowed to dry, then again and then as here again

15748650115191071354763043601238.jpg

Look forward to a very rare foray into A R M O U R for your dad's little lorry

Yes you might be right there. My pit glue is gators grip so I don’t want to go lashing that around. It’s like hens teeth.

nice used about the layer technique though.  Rocket red seems to have done the trick. 🔥

• Like 4