"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

Looks absolutely fantastic mate. 

The Gunze EDSG looks miles better than the other. I'd almost say it's a tropical sea blue! 

And I wish I had your gap filling skills. I'm fresh out of the wash after a bit of a nightmare with PPP on some seams and a few wing joins. Ended up pasted in the stuff :P

• Like 1

I really like the smooth finish you are getting to your Sea Venom - I have this kit in my stash so am following your build with interest - should look good in EDSG/Sky RAN colour scheme too

CJP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

How wierdly convergent is THAT ⁉️

IMG_20200521_230002

You're right..... Mad as a box of frogs! 

I halted mine until I come up with a way to rig the lines that I can perform . 

Hasegawa 1.32 has a great reputation generally. I bet there's a decent radial engine in your box. 

I shall look forward to seeing you knock that one into shape at some point 👍

How very odd. This wasn’t really on my radar but when I saw it I knew I had to build her. 😍 Dd you do a WIP?

9 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Looks absolutely fantastic mate. 

The Gunze EDSG looks miles better than the other. I'd almost say it's a tropical sea blue! 

And I wish I had your gap filling skills. I'm fresh out of the wash after a bit of a nightmare with PPP on some seams and a few wing joins. Ended up pasted in the stuff :P

PPP is great. Sands really well but it is brittle. For undulations and gaps like this it’s a winner. I do end up covers in it too. I think the key is to have a clean workspace and a cloth handy. 

7 hours ago, CJP said:

I really like the smooth finish you are getting to your Sea Venom - I have this kit in my stash so am following your build with interest - should look good in EDSG/Sky RAN colour scheme too

CJP

Thanks. She’s a lovely kit for sure. Fingers crossed with the colours.

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Looks great so far.

Very  envious of the twin peashooters, I’m on the lookout for an affordable 1/48 kit.

Thanks. I only really got this because of the price. I lookEd at the sellers “my other items” and saw a bunch of kits for £15 each. After seeing the price they were going for I thought I’d have a few cheeky bids. I got this for £17 in the end. The bay  can be a little treasure trove sometimes. None of my new kits However have IP decals. 🤪 what’s wrong with people. 🤣🤣

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1

Just catching up over coffee, to go back a little way your cockpit & seats look fantastic, all your work has paid off. And your efforts around the engine & the exhaust are superb, I’m sure this will look fantastic in your chosen scheme!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

PPP is great. Sands really well but it is brittle. For undulations and gaps like this it’s a winner. I do end up covers in it too. I think the key is to have a clean workspace and a cloth handy. 

It is fantastic stuff. Cleanup is relatively easy but I always make the mistake of trying to "grout the gap" 😂. Workspace is a shared dining table in the kitchen. With 2 kids under 5....clean is not a word in my current vocabulary! 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I would love to do a shark mouth as I have never done one but I never felt the love for this one. Plus it has a white belly. Not terrible but I fancied a sky underside.

so in honour  of @NAVY870 I think I’ll change to.

49919849933_aa046bd700_b.jpg

I do appreciate the gesture but it would be extremely poor form not to tell you that the cockpit of our 53's were a lot different to the 22 than Matchbox would have you believe

This is WZ.907's office, original and unsullied (The observant among you may note she is power on)

vHI0ppq.jpg

Your superb cockpit is FAW.21/22. Thought I'd best mention it so you can make a call.

Bit of trivia: 

My current restoration is WZ.897, it was one of the decal options in the Classic airframes kit. The Revell kit option is WZ.906 (Incorrectly quoted as 724 squadron, its actually 808 squadron around 1957/58)

The kit originally came out as WZ.902 when first released by Matchbox.

As 897 was totally gutted when I first started on her I've had to scrounge a pile of bits. She now has the voltage regulators, main circuit breakers and a few other parts from WZ.906 installed, most of the missing panels

came from WZ.902 and I have 902's instrument panel hanging on a nail in my garage wall.

6 degrees of Sea Venom separation!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Nice progress John :clap:

BTW, it's just as good that you bought a Tamiya and a Hasegawa kit, to compensate for the punishment you're after when building that Italeri kit... :rofl: (not that I know the specific kit, but if it's classic old style Italeri, I've probably made an educated guess :) )

Ciao

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Just catching up over coffee, to go back a little way your cockpit & seats look fantastic, all your work has paid off. And your efforts around the engine & the exhaust are superb, I’m sure this will look fantastic in your chosen scheme!

Thank you sir. The scheme it seams it still in the balance.

11 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

It is fantastic stuff. Cleanup is relatively easy but I always make the mistake of trying to "grout the gap" 😂. Workspace is a shared dining table in the kitchen. With 2 kids under 5....clean is not a word in my current vocabulary! 

Wow sounds like a tough bench.i can fully

sympathies . 👍🤗

8 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

I do appreciate the gesture but it would be extremely poor form not to tell you that the cockpit of our 53's were a lot different to the 22 than Matchbox would have you believe

This is WZ.907's office, original and unsullied (The observant among you may note she is power on)

vHI0ppq.jpg

Your superb cockpit is FAW.21/22. Thought I'd best mention it so you can make a call.

Bit of trivia: 

My current restoration is WZ.897, it was one of the decal options in the Classic airframes kit. The Revell kit option is WZ.906 (Incorrectly quoted as 724 squadron, its actually 808 squadron around 1957/58)

The kit originally came out as WZ.902 when first released by Matchbox.

As 897 was totally gutted when I first started on her I've had to scrounge a pile of bits. She now has the voltage regulators, main circuit breakers and a few other parts from WZ.906 installed, most of the missing panels

came from WZ.902 and I have 902's instrument panel hanging on a nail in my garage wall.

6 degrees of Sea Venom separation!

Oh bugger. Thank you for letting me know. Shark it might have to be.

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice progress John :clap:

BTW, it's just as good that you bought a Tamiya and a Hasegawa kit, to compensate for the punishment you're after when building that Italeri kit... :rofl: (not that I know the specific kit, but if it's classic old style Italeri, I've probably made an educated guess :) )

Ciao

Well you say that but.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-2644-tbf-tbm-1-avenger--103864
this kit is in fact the accurate miniatures kit with all the bells and whistles. Our own @tonyot pointed me in the direction of this kit on one of his builds. Looking at the sprews she’s a beauty. 
apart from the lack of decals. 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Some more steady progress.

I don’t usually pre shade silver but I figured I was doing a light pass so what the hell.

The pipe.

49923907066_20f115e1b1_b.jpg

The fire wall.

49923387928_0409c8ee8b_b.jpg

The pipe bit.

49923907041_448ed426d7_b.jpg

The pointy bit.

49924213772_b4e9c6c537_b.jpg

The intakes.

49924213512_4131e85481_b.jpg

And the two engine bays. 
side one.

49923387903_8e87423aa0_b.jpg

And two.

49924213632_dd1ab2a158_b.jpg

I painted the engine bay with a dark black green colour.

49924213542_2da02d1c01_b.jpg 49923906786_06140175bc_b.jpg

I’ll pick out some silver/Alu later on.

49923906791_da5e8a0d2c_b.jpg 49923388158_f43566ec7b_b.jpg

The engine got some blasts of metallic.

49923387593_407b102804_b.jpg

Different paints and different tones.

I don’t know if you can see but the subtle variation was a test with the mottle stencils.

49923387583_2992eb34d8_b.jpg

I really like that. I used the same on the pipe.

49923906801_ec67567c02_b.jpg

This bit was mottle free.

49923906796_0944615f2a_b.jpg

While that lot dried I found something to glue. The wing tips needed assembling soooo. I needed a little metal hat for the Wing light.

49923388143_56f4428273_b.jpg

ta daa!

And in.

49923388153_19811e62b5_b.jpg

And drying. 🤩

49923388138_4af8481b30_b.jpg

Unfortunately the problem with rubber pegs is that sometimes TET leaks.

49924213877_d4972cccfa_b.jpg

🤦‍♂️😫

Not to worry though, soon sanded off. As I’m guessing these panel lines should be? Guys? 
some last minute masking.

49923907061_0d4a9fc2f9_b.jpg

To bring in the black to the silver.

49923907116_9060d7f41d_b.jpg

The mottle really stands out in that shot on the intakes. I’ll have to do some tests with the different sizes. So as @NAVY870 pointed out the Aussie Venom might not be an option. Could I do the FAA without the shark?

just a thought. 
Thanks for dropping by. More tomorrow.

Johnny.

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 16

That's a Dyson turbine unit , innit? 

All looks absolutely splendid. 

I just hope some of this can be seen in the end. 

Yea, shark's mouth styling seldom appeals to me I must admit. Apart from a couple of Planes where it's almost a tradition.

And it would look great on the Me262, eh? 

But not on this 

That's a pity the yellow flashes are out of the frame

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Not to worry though, soon sanded off. As I’m guessing these panel lines should be? Guys? 

The mottle really stands out in that shot on the intakes. I’ll have to do some tests with the different sizes. So as @NAVY870 poo ted out the Aussie Venom might not be an option. 

Panel line is correct

Berna decals make a very nice decal sheet for this kit. It has two very nice FAW.21 options that would be perfect for your build

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/berna-decals-bd-32-08-sea-venom-faw21-22-royal-navy--998052

On a point of order, I've never ever, even when fully Sailor drunk, "poo ted" in my life.

Honest Chief 😇

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Quite.

Splendid.

:thumbsup2:

Thanks Tony. 🤩

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Ah, excellent metallic progress, John :worthy: :clap2:

Good the hear about the Italeri kit, too :thumbsup:

Ciao

Thanks G. 

47 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

That's a Dyson turbine unit , innit? 

All looks absolutely splendid. 

I just hope some of this can be seen in the end. 

Yea, shark's mouth styling seldom appeals to me I must admit. Apart from a couple of Planes where it's almost a tradition.

And it would look great on the Me262, eh? 

But not on this 

That's a pity the yellow flashes are out of the frame

Thanks. Yeah it’ll be on full show. 😍 I know what you mean. I don’t think it’s the teeth. I quite like those. It’s the odd eyes but I’ll try my best to do her justice. 🤩 🦈

45 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

Panel line is correct

Berna decals make a very nice decal sheet for this kit. It has two very nice FAW.21 options that would be perfect for your build

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/berna-decals-bd-32-08-sea-venom-faw21-22-royal-navy--998052

On a point of order, I've never ever, even when fully Sailor drunk, "poo ted" in my life.

Honest Chief 😇

Would it be raised? Or should I scribe it you think. 
Thanks for the decal link. I was going to go there initially but they’re really expensive for what you get. I’ll go shark and make it a damned good effort.

sorry about the text correct. Should have said “pointed” silly me. 🤦‍♂️🤪

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

Gorgeous Johnny, again! :) 

Thanks Mr B. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Unfortunately the problem with rubber pegs is that sometimes TET leaks.

.... well I wasn't expecting to learn that! May of just saved my backside on my next build that needs em! 

I mean really. You probably just did! 

The Mrs would murder me if I melted a single one of her 50 clothes pegs.... 

• Like 1

Hello Spad !!

Johnny !! Poor boy !! I must warn you !! You are more and more CCizing !! Beware, there's no cure for that disease !! :cheers:

The Avenger is ace kit, mine will be a Tarpon !! But even the blisters windows for this version are included...

I've a WiP for these beast !!

Very nice Haul !!

These Hasegawa kits were damn good in the '80s, fine and crisp details but, knowing you as I know you now, You will a lot of plasticard in it !!

I selled mine (I used to have the P-26, the F4B-4 and the BF2C-1) as soon asi get these 3 in 1/48 scale !!

Now what a great improvement on your Sea Venom !! Congrats !! veeery great job !!

The Tarpon can be weatherized a lot.... :evil_laugh:

Cider ?? favourite drink of my son when we were in U.K

I like it too !! But I tend to prefer rocket fuel !!

For EDSG and Sky, I use the Xtracrylics ones !!

Can't wait to see it finished !!

Take care and keep that excellent job !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Honest Chief 😇

Likely story!

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Raised panel lines are just wrong and an impossibility irl.

lovely work on the engine and interior.

You can’t not do the sharkmouth :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Engine bay and engine look great with your work and in paint.  This is going to look fantastic on display when finished.  Nice haul too the Avenger is a cracking kit, I would like one of those too, but ended up with the Hobbyboss kit instead to do as an FAA machine one day.

Great work fella.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

What happens at sea stays at sea!

Definitely !!

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Engine bay and engine look great with your work and in paint.  This is going to look fantastic on display when finished.  Nice haul too the Avenger is a cracking kit, I would like one of those too, but ended up with the Hobbyboss kit instead to do as an FAA machine one day.

Great work fella.

All the best

Chris

Good Man you are !! Chris !!

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1