"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

23 hours ago, hendie said:

lovely detailing Johnny. She's looking remarkably splendid overall

Thank you dear sir. 🤝

23 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Busy day! Coming together beautifully now - glad you got the canopy sorted out OK. 👍

Thanks. Yes it was a bit of a time there for a moment.

15 hours ago, giemme said:

You can say that loud! :wow: What a progress, and she really looks like a delight already! Glad you were able to retain most of the details on the rear combing, and that canopy looks insanely good! :worthy:  :clap: 

I'm also glad you caught her in the middle of her nose dive - you don't want to go there, believe me.... :D 

Ciao

Thanks G. Yes I’m glad I caught her too. She’s so ruddy BIG though it’s hard to work purely on the bench.

14 hours ago, CJP said:

Looking great now Johnny - just love how smooth you have the finish under a coat of primer - cant wait to see her in camo colours - also well done on  that catch before she hit the floor - I have had that happen on a couple of models but my catching skills not as good as yours

CJP

Thanks. By the way she’s a sea venom so EDSG and White is the order of the day. 🦈

14 hours ago, CedB said:

Love that detailing on the back of the cockpit Johnny, even if it did foul the canopy :) 

Really coming together now with your usual attention to detail - great stuff :) 

Thanks Mr B. Mojo fully restored. 🐡

14 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Ooh, I sense she is nearing some semblance of finished! At least that's how I usually feel when the superstructure goes together at last. 

She's looking like one hell of a good job! 

Thanks. Really getting there now.

1 hour ago, Derek B said:

Hi Johnny,

Didn't get too far, and only a little work has been carried out on the J 33 since this last post:

(I did manage to fill the nose radome with Milliput filler this week! lol :) ).

I have not bothered with the single seat J 28B Vampire at this time, but will recommence the J 33 next year perhaps.

Cheers

Derek

Ah yes. That was a long time ago. So you have the build up and running again?

3 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Looking impressive! Can't wait to see this come out of the paint booth!

Me either. 

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh mate this is looking fantastic, good resolution for the canopy and so glad you caught it when it slipped from your grasp.

The wheel looks great too, I knew when you started this that you would come up with a solution and I am glad I did not purchase aftermarket ones.  

Could I ask one question though, have you tried the undercarriage legs in place to check the stance yet as I wonder if they have captured the low rear stance if you know what I mean?

Great work fella

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. Had me worried for a moment as I hadn’t even thought that the UC might not fit right. I think I know what you’re talking about the slight raise to the nose? Well I did panicky get the legs on and tape the nose wheel in place. She looks like this.

50052187042_55161b09aa_b.jpg

Kind of looks right. I think the lower part of the front leg swings to get more or less height from what I’ve seen. Thanks for the heads up though I wouldn’t have checked if it wasn’t for your question. Good call. 🙌🤗

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Thank you dear sir. 🤝

Thanks. Yes it was a bit of a time there for a moment.

Thanks G. Yes I’m glad I caught her too. She’s so ruddy BIG though it’s hard to work purely on the bench.

Thanks. By the way she’s a sea venom so EDSG and White is the order of the day. 🦈

Thanks Mr B. Mojo fully restored. 🐡

Thanks. Really getting there now.

Ah yes. That was a long time ago. So you have the build up and running again?

Me either. 

Thanks Chris. Had me worried for a moment as I hadn’t even thought that the UC might not fit right. I think I know what you’re talking about the slight raise to the nose? Well I did panicky get the legs on and tape the nose wheel in place. She looks like this.

Kind of looks right. I think the lower part of the front leg swings to get more or less height from what I’ve seen. Thanks for the heads up though I wouldn’t have checked if it wasn’t for your question. Good call. 🙌🤗

Thanks Johnny for showing this and it bis great to see it standing on it's undercarriage.  I am a bit unsure looking at the clearance of the main rear part of the main fuselage under the engine being too high and wondered if the u/c legs are slightly too long, although it could be the angle of the photo though and I am indeed no expert, perhaps one better placed than me may be able to confirm.  

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

More done today. Edging closer to the elusive paint box. 🤗

There’s a bit at on the booms that I wanted to add. So I cut a template.

50051366638_43554cc717_b.jpg

Used this to cut shapes from old pie tin bottoms.

50051367308_cd8263d32d_b.jpg

And there we are. 🤗

50051366693_fdee0dea3e_b.jpg

They actually conform really nicely to the booms, this one was a dud as the rivets were a bit over zealous.

50051940521_bac99143ee_b.jpg

Here are the final ones in place and sanded a little to smooth them off after a prime.

50052186557_383742f36d_b.jpg

And the inside ones too.

50051940466_8b91d113dd_b.jpg

Just at the end of that I read what @bigbadbadge had said about the stance of the frame on the wheels. I rushed a dry fit that actually looked ok.

Although it did highlight problems with the strength of the legs. 🤔 one of the plastic locating pegs snapped off. 😯 so a big thanks to Chris for forcing my Hand there. That would have snapped right at the last minute. So guess what I found?

Where there’s muck. 😇

50051940471_96a6e44dd1_b.jpg

not quite the elegant brass work of @hendie or @TheBaron but it’s a start. 🤣 and strong too. 💪

more tomorrow. Thanks for stopping by for a cuppa and a biscuit.

until then, Happy Modelling.

Johnny. 🤩

• Like 20

Hi Johnny,

No, I have not restarted it yet as I love of life getting in the way at present - that and the fact that all of my models and most of my modelling gear is all packed away for house moving soon - so it is unlikely to reappear anytime soon. However, your build is something of an inspiration to me; thank goodness you have fast reflex reactions! (I also like your tenacity with regard to finding solutions to problems).

Best regards

Derek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Johnny for showing this and it bis great to see it standing on it's undercarriage.  I am a bit unsure looking at the clearance of the main rear part of the main fuselage under the engine being too high and wondered if the u/c legs are slightly too long, although it could be the angle of the photo though and I am indeed no expert, perhaps one better placed than me may be able to confirm.  

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

I had to have another check I didn’t realise it was the rear ones that might be wrong. 
taking an upside down glance I think they look ok? I have checked a few reference shots and is seems about right. But I’m no expert either. 🤪

50052198846_fffe9304ed_b.jpg

Ps.

ooff, sorry just saw the blurry pic. ‘Twas late and I had my sleepy eyes in. 🤣

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Sorry Johnny.  Those panels look fab.

All the best

Chris

No need to apologise. Im glad you’re pointing this stuff out. Rather now than after paint eh. 😇🤝

• Like 2

Superb, and well executed, work going on here Johnny and you have transformed this kit into a really excellent build.

Even you u/c legs look like CAD items!

It's always a bit hard to tell things from photos of models, but I would concur with Navy, that Sea Venoms do sit quite tail low.  Possibly a good guide is to see where the mainwheel axel centres sit in relation to the fuselage undersides, and the fin top height compared to the canopy height. 

Not that straightforward in photos though.

• Thanks 1

Sanding a flat spot on the main gear tyres might kill two birds with one stone - giving the tyres a nice weighted look and lowering the stance at the back a little?

Really enjoying following this build Johnny - it's looking great.

Cheers,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chris and Steve are right - the undercarriage oleo compression really does make a huge difference to the 'sit' and whole character of the aircraft. Very often (and I really do not know why), many model manufacturers tend to mould the the chromed portion of aircraft oleo at full extension rather than in the more normal compressed state. likewise, castoring nose leg forks are often similar and should be somewhat more compressed, unless, of course, you wish to have them that way as a form of extension to raise the nose, but they may then look wrong (easy to check by the angle of the fork leg).

Great work on your Venom Johnny; I have really enjoyed following it :)

Regards

Derek

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One heck of a good looking model. Maybe it's not been refuelled, as suggested above by @NAVY870

Matchbox more than likely measured a museum Aircraft, (as so often happens) Perhaps it didn't have an engine fitted, hence the extended oleos.

The coaming details look good and a good save on the canopy framework. Not to mention the internal masking and the catch when it was dropped.

I'm looking forward to the paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2020 at 10:55 PM, The Spadgent said:

Not sure about the rest of the planet

35C, lots of sun, 4/5/6 Beaufort from the north all week.  Very nice here in the Aegean.  Nice going with the build!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Derek B said:

Hi Johnny,

No, I have not restarted it yet as I love of life getting in the way at present - that and the fact that all of my models and most of my modelling gear is all packed away for house moving soon - so it is unlikely to reappear anytime soon. However, your build is something of an inspiration to me; thank goodness you have fast reflex reactions! (I also like your tenacity with regard to finding solutions to problems).

Best regards

Derek

Thanks for the kind words. You don’t need to tell me how life can get in the way of our wonderful hobby but one day when you start her up again you Phew me so I can follow along eh. 🤩

16 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Biscuit well-earned I'd say - top work Johnny.

Thanks Tony. 🙌

13 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

This is an inspiration for any of us with one of these kits, I have an original Matchbox version with a broken canopy, you really are making a silk purse out of this sow’s ear.

John

Thanks. 🤗Glad to be of service. If it’s the other canopy you’re after. Non bulge, I can send my spare to you. 

12 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Yours is sitting a bit high on the main gear, unless it hasn't been fueled yet.

nsavsAU.jpg

Hmmmm lower I think. Thanks for the shot. That nose wheel looks a lot less compressed than the kit one too. 🤔

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Superb, and well executed, work going on here Johnny and you have transformed this kit into a really excellent build.

Even you u/c legs look like CAD items!

It's always a bit hard to tell things from photos of models, but I would concur with Navy, that Sea Venoms do sit quite tail low.  Possibly a good guide is to see where the mainwheel axel centres sit in relation to the fuselage undersides, and the fin top height compared to the canopy height. 

Not that straightforward in photos though.

Thanks for the lovely words. I have just had a look at the legs upstairs. I think I have a plan. 💪

10 hours ago, giemme said:

You found brass - and put it to good use :D :winkgrin:

Ciao

Thanks G. I’ll be needing it again I fear. ❤️

10 hours ago, Nickthebrief said:

Sanding a flat spot on the main gear tyres might kill two birds with one stone - giving the tyres a nice weighted look and lowering the stance at the back a little?

Really enjoying following this build Johnny - it's looking great.

Cheers,

Nick.

🤔 yes is planned on doing that too. It’ll be too low soon. 🤣

4 hours ago, Derek B said:

Chris and Steve are right - the undercarriage oleo compression really does make a huge difference to the 'sit' and whole character of the aircraft. Very often (and I really do not know why), many model manufacturers tend to mould the the chromed portion of aircraft oleo at full extension rather than in the more normal compressed state. likewise, castoring nose leg forks are often similar and should be somewhat more compressed, unless, of course, you wish to have them that way as a form of extension to raise the nose, but they may then look wrong (easy to check by the angle of the fork leg).

Great work on your Venom Johnny; I have really enjoyed following it :)

Regards

Derek

Thanks. The rear ones are fully extended which can be remedied. The front one is compressed a little unlike the pic. I might just leave the nose and lower the rear. 🙌🦈

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Great foil work around the tail area John.

And the "Brass" additions is a good step .

Enjoy the bickie.

Simon.

Thanks Simon. I do love a bit of pie tin action. 😇

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

One heck of a good looking model. Maybe it's not been refuelled, as suggested above by @NAVY870

Matchbox more than likely measured a museum Aircraft, (as so often happens) Perhaps it didn't have an engine fitted, hence the extended oleos.

The coaming details look good and a good save on the canopy framework. Not to mention the internal masking and the catch when it was dropped.

I'm looking forward to the paint.

Thanks for the lovely comments.  I think looking back at the shots she looks better in that “about to pounce” pose. 🤣🤣🤣 had to double check that as I thought I’d typed “about to ponce” that would be a very different look wouldn’t it. 🥳🤪 ..... sorry I digress. So anyway I think I’ll go the whole nine yards and fix the legs.

41 minutes ago, John Masters said:

35C, lots of sun, 4/5/6 Beaufort from the north all week.  Very nice here in the Aegean.  Nice going with the build!

Ooooh lovely. ☀️☀️☀️☀️ Glad you’re enjoying the build.

Johnny

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Evening you lot. Hope you have had a lovely weekend. More progress on the shark this morning. Looking at last nights shot of the wheel and today’s comments I think my only option is this.

50055918812_7e81203470_b.jpg

I will cut away the lowered detail To the right and remake with lead. The scissors can be detached and re-attached at a better angle and I’ll chop out the middle chrome section. This compression of a good few mm will give me angle I’m after. Weak legs you say? 🦵 not with new improved brass power. 💪🤣 we shall see.  Once again I feel like I’m in a @perdu build but not as good.  I love thinking what you guys would do if you were in my shoes. 😇

Any way back to ze progress eh.

This morning a added the last few details. Some nose well plumbing I forgot to photo😭 flap wires.

50055094613_e07633b7b7_b.jpg

I noticed a gap in the canopy join, as there would be really so I filled it with PPP.

50055843422_bb24802f08_b.jpg

And cleared away with a damp bud.

50055094623_fcb94088b3_b.jpg

Right then.

primed and ready for Ze booth. 💪

50055843587_78196e5bd8_b.jpg

She squeezed in....Just!!! As you’ll see I had to flap it open a bit to allow rotation. 
I’m starting with some preshading.

50055673106_1f434c63e9_b.jpg

I’m going to do my usual pick out of edges and corners but as this one has not to much in the way of panel lines. She does however have other lovely lines that I’m going to accentuate .

50055094583_fc73181f37_b.jpg

I’m adding variation with my new stencils. 

I was planning on using these with the actual top coat but not swing that much variation up to I have decided to use them underneath so I can wipe away as much as I like to get the effect I’m after. I have done this effect before by hand but these are brilliant.

50055094638_313272f5a7_b.jpg

you really get some nice variation going on. Here’s the under side.

50055918677_c559ee7899_b.jpg

I’m loving that! Really looking forward to getting the top coat on. I went a bit snap happy so I apologise for the extra pics. I think she looks great like this. Proper paint in progress.❤️❤️

50055843687_671e251080_b.jpg 50055843137_07eefa7ccd_b.jpg

The finished effect will be very subtle but it’ll add a lot. ❤️ And that is where she sits to dry.

I promised I wouldn’t buy any more kits over lockdown but stupidly I am following two I think, @Chewbacca and I believe @hendie Have old wasp conversions going on, not forgetting our @perdu’s ace model on a beer mat.

I did have the scout  kit then sold it in a moment of madness. 🤪 guess what dropped on the doormat?🙄🤣

50055094703_5a3ea4da34_b.jpg

Not even opened. It was like opening the ark at the end of Indiana Jones. 

50055843732_2e611398a0_b.jpg

all the bumf is in there and as it appears the seller was a smoker the whole package comes with the comforting smell only an ex smoker can appreciate. Not dirty but like a whiff of Gandalf’s pipe.
The decals are really good and the kit itself seems better that my old green one.

50055094618_e8bab44ea2_b.jpg

The plastic is “crisp” and dare I say it, well moulded.  Not sure when this will begin but at least I know it’s there. Paid about the same price I sold it for so there’s a thing. 😍

oh aaand before signing off we visited Croome National trust this afternoon. 
look what I see poking over the trees.

is that a tail fin?

50055597681_1992cf7201_b.jpg

Boom!!! Look at that canopy! ❤️
I’ll leave you with that. Thanks for all your help. Take care and I hope you all have a great and safe week.

Johnny. 🦈

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Whatever you do, don't write that on the internet, oh you have...

Imagine if I said “I went upstairs to look at my Undercarriage and thought, I have a plan” 🤣  

• Haha 7

11 minutes ago, perdu said:

:)

Looks amazing

Thanks Bill. I was just reading through your build of the Scout from 2014? It was going so well then the pictures conked out. Grrrr bloody photo bucket.  I’ll have to enjoy the RFI. ❤️

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer of the canopy but it’s the bulged version I need too. I contacted Revell a few years ago but was told that it was out of production, although it could still occasionally be seen in shops. One day perhaps.

Stay safe.

John

• Like 1