"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

8 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

What happens at sea stays at sea!

Unless of course, you happened to be married to our MVS Head of Unit. I don't think she has read the script somehow.

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Martian said:

Unless of course, you happened to be married to our MVS Head of Unit. I don't think she has read the script somehow.

Martian 👽

By Jove Martian !!

That can present some inconveniences !!

Poor you !!

Now, my holydays in UK are ruined, dirty bug !!

Well, this will be for next year, if Bojo lift that quarantine...

Sincerely.

CC

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

.... well I wasn't expecting to learn that! May of just saved my backside on my next build that needs em! 

I mean really. You probably just did! 

The Mrs would murder me if I melted a single one of her 50 clothes pegs.... 

Should get your own set. YOu can melt them as much as you like then. 🤣🤦‍♂️

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad !!

Johnny !! Poor boy !! I must warn you !! You are more and more CCizing !! Beware, there's no cure for that disease !! :cheers:

The Avenger is ace kit, mine will be a Tarpon !! But even the blisters windows for this version are included...

I've a WiP for these beast !!

Very nice Haul !!

These Hasegawa kits were damn good in the '80s, fine and crisp details but, knowing you as I know you now, You will a lot of plasticard in it !!

I selled mine (I used to have the P-26, the F4B-4 and the BF2C-1) as soon asi get these 3 in 1/48 scale !!

Now what a great improvement on your Sea Venom !! Congrats !! veeery great job !!

The Tarpon can be weatherized a lot.... :evil_laugh:

Cider ?? favourite drink of my son when we were in U.K

I like it too !! But I tend to prefer rocket fuel !!

For EDSG and Sky, I use the Xtracrylics ones !!

Can't wait to see it finished !!

Take care and keep that excellent job !!

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC. Yes I think I have the bug for sure.🐛 so many wonderful kits. As for the Avenger I’m doing the British one too although I just saw a bunch that @tonyot did. They’re amazing And mostly British I think. Choices, choices. 

15 hours ago, Marklo said:

Raised panel lines are just wrong and an impossibility irl.

lovely work on the engine and interior.

You can’t not do the sharkmouth :) 

Ok thanks. I’ll scribe them out.

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Engine bay and engine look great with your work and in paint.  This is going to look fantastic on display when finished.  Nice haul too the Avenger is a cracking kit, I would like one of those too, but ended up with the Hobbyboss kit instead to do as an FAA machine one day.

Great work fella.

All the best

Chris

Thanks. It took a while to get the italeri/ AM kit. I’ll be doing similar. ❤️

13 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

All looking very good I must say. 

Terry

Thanks Terry. 👍

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That engine bay looks the business. Very nice.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks. 😇

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Now, my holydays in UK are ruined, dirty bug !!

Well, this will be for next year, if Bojo lift that quarantine...

Sincerely.

CC

A little late for quarantine if that was ever going to be a man option they should have put it in place months ago. Silly government. 🤦‍♂️  It is what it is and it’s not great but next time you’re over I’ll make Telford too. 👍😇 We can talk each other into buying more kits. 🤗

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ok kids. This is the way it is. 🦈

49927648836_6ccc92db05_z.jpg

now the only thing I can’t figure out is the demarcation line. This looks like a single seater but the line goes up the bump but the intake is grey.

This one however.

49927127318_c7a369d108_c.jpg

The line goes half and half on the intake.
I thought the kit Markings were different again But they seem to match the top scheme to I guess two out of three ain’t bad. I’ll head for that.

Any way plenty to do before I get there eh.

first port of call today was Flory ville on the engine parts.

49927648991_a1c7159c9f_b.jpg

I decided to go rogue and mix up a few colours. I used dark dirt and grey. I was a bit messy with it as you can see.🙀

While the flory dried I cleaned  up The wing pods and stuck them together.

49927648741_f6016197cb_b.jpg

Also made a start scribing the fat wing panels. 

49927648946_837d6f305d_b.jpg

question though. If these panels are there as @NAVY870 mentioned why aren’t the ones on the inner wing visible too? 🤔

I’ll leave that until I know more.

well by this time the flory has dried and usually you wipe most of the wash off, this time I was looking to leave a whole bunch on. Let’s start with Gandalf’s hat.

49927648731_1016ffc8cc_b.jpg

You’ll have your eye out with that if you’re not careful. 🤣

The engine pipe at the rear.

49927127673_624ea316a8_b.jpg

I really liked the look I got on this so I took another pic.

49927648726_46636a7243_b.jpg

“For heavens sake man, pull your finger out” gags here please. 🤦‍♂️😇

Similar story with the main section.

49927648746_8a8689fc1c_b.jpg

The different metallics had come through nicely. 😇🖤

Now this is the part where it all should have gone smoothly. Here’s the two main parts.

49927949927_bf10b5e56f_b.jpg

What could go wrong? 
well let’s see. The support frame needed fitting so.

49927127448_b1ca3ac243_b.jpg

I wish there were a right way to put all this together. I don’t think my way is the right way And I’m sure there’s a more elegant solution out there. I think I ran into the same problem @Chewbacca had with the whole engine sub assembly being slightly too large for the fuselage. I have made scratch adjustments so that might have been a factor too. I tried a dry fit with the fire wall roughly in place, alas it just wouldn’t wiggle in. The intakes were pushed too far forward. I contemplated hacking the rear pipe in half and taking a bit out but Gandalf’s hat was in the middle so that wasn’t an option. 🤦‍♂️😭

what to do? I had done this test with half of the fire wall in place. The plan was to glue the fire wall to the fuselage then slowly lower everything in. That didn’t look like it was going to work so I needed to add the fire wall to the intakes.

Here goes.......

49927648941_2f14b96251_b.jpg

“Bottom“ is about right. The tabs to locate the two halves are..... let’s just say they are less that ideal. 🤣

Slowly I layered up some plastic strip to add some strength.

49927648721_dae43a3ab1_b.jpg

Popped off the main engine part and added the support frame.

49927949917_ae1cace7f4_b.jpg

Look at this for a jig. 🏌️

49927648736_48874c6fd0_b.jpg

🥊knockout🥊🤩

After drying I tried to fit it all together. Now you have to remember this is all living in wonderful denial knowing that it just won’t fit. 😔

where was I ahh yes fitting together. Guess what? This bit doesn’t fit either. 😫😤🤯😭 The frame is too long. You can’t fit “it” and the intake at the same time so I had to snip off the exes at the loose end. Eventually after many small adjustments it came together and I glued it like I‘d never glued Before.

49927648771_50dd0a3f76_b.jpg

Well here we are, It sort of fits. Now I say sort of as if I stuff the pipe in one end And stuff the main engine in the other it all just about squeezes into place. I’m not convinced it will if I glue the two halves together so when it does eventually go in that will have to be our dirty little secret. 🤫💃💅

After all that I really needed a bit of feel good. (I realise the pipes aren’t accurate) I added pipes. 💪 I bought some lead from Pete at Modelling tools and by Jove I’m going to use it. 👨‍🏭 I didn’t get too far but I’m having fun with this bit.

49927127708_fc8876687f_b.jpg

I’ll start again tomorrow. Thanks for the interest and help in this build. I’m headed up those wooden hills. 😴

More tomorrow. 

ps. Just realised I didn’t take any pics of the engine bay itself. 😯 I’ll show you that tomorrow too. 😍

Happy Modelling folks.

Johnny boy. 🦈

• Like 21

Johnny I continue to be impressed by your weathering skills - I wish I could get that realism on my stuff. What's that? Practice? Oh, OK then :) 

Good job on getting things fitted - I'm sure you'll sort it out.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

If these panels are there as @NAVY870 mentioned why aren’t the ones on the inner wing visible too? 🤔

I’ll leave that until I know more.

The inner wing in skinned by a single sheet of tin thus no joints between skins.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 22/05/2020 at 20:58, The Spadgent said:

49923907066_20f115e1b1_b.jpg

49923907041_448ed426d7_b.jpg  

Seriously impressed with that fine pre-shading.  I've never seemed to work out how best to set up my airbrush to get fine control like that

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ok kids. This is the way it is. 🦈

49927648836_6ccc92db05_z.jpg

The other thing I think I forgot to mention in my earlier post about issues I found was that with this option, the decals for the wing tip fuel tanks are a nightmare.  Now it's hardly surprising.  Designing a 2D printed decal in such a way that it will wrap around a 3D, multiple complex curve object was always an impossibility but this was especially bad.  With hindsight, I should have just thrown those decals away and sprayed the red/black check - it would have been easier in the long run and achieved a neater finish.

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I wish there were a right way to put all this together. I don’t think my way is the right way And I’m sure there’s a more elegant solution out there. I think I ran into the same problem @Chewbacca had with the whole engine sub assembly being slightly too large for the fuselage. I have made scratch adjustments so that might have been a factor too. I tried a dry fit with the fire wall roughly in place, alas it just wouldn’t wiggle in. The intakes were pushed too far forward. I contemplated hacking the rear pipe in half and taking a bit out but Gandalf’s hat was in the middle so that wasn’t an option.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having but in a way I'm glad it wasn't just me

• Thanks 1

I love watching builds like this - taking a golden oldie and giving it a makeover with good old-fashioned modelling skills, and drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. 

Loving your work. 
Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hats off to you for your thoughtful and determined approach to getting this kit across the line. I'm also impressed with your pre-shading and varied metallic finishes using the mottling template. 

SD

• Thanks 1

I actually just ordered my first clay wash from Ultimate as Flory was out of the dark dirt. 

Engines look fantastic and the fitting issue looks like an excuse for hard labour! Just like building the real thing 😛

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Johnny I continue to be impressed by your weathering skills - I wish I could get that realism on my stuff. What's that? Practice? Oh, OK then :) 

Good job on getting things fitted - I'm sure you'll sort it out.

Thanks Ced. I don’t do anything special really but I think heading at it with a vision of the end product I’d say it’s : 70% process, 20% knowledge and 10% luck. 

Probably. 🤪 practice definitely helps. 🤩

12 hours ago, hendie said:

nice job.  I hope it all fits together when the time comes

Oh how prophetic. 🥳😣🤣

11 hours ago, Wince said:

I’m in awe of your skills Johnny. Don’t think I will ever get to your level! 

That’s very kind but you sir do some wonderful modelling. 

10 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

The inner wing in skinned by a single sheet of tin thus no joints between skins.

Aaaand that’s why I love this wonderful site and the people who frequent it. Thanks kid. 🤩

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Seriously impressed with that fine pre-shading.  I've never seemed to work out how best to set up my airbrush to get fine control like that

The other thing I think I forgot to mention in my earlier post about issues I found was that with this option, the decals for the wing tip fuel tanks are a nightmare.  Now it's hardly surprising.  Designing a 2D printed decal in such a way that it will wrap around a 3D, multiple complex curve object was always an impossibility but this was especially bad.  With hindsight, I should have just thrown those decals away and sprayed the red/black check - it would have been easier in the long run and achieved a neater finish.

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having but in a way I'm glad it wasn't just me

For airbrushing I tend not to adjust it. I think it’s set around 15 / 20 I lowered it a little to 10 when I mottles the Me262 but usually I keep everything level. It’s a dual action iwata I have so pressure and flow are at your finger tips regardless. 
Thanks for the heads up on the decals. I’ll see how it goes. I’m usually a bit of a decal fan but it I can’t get the to work I’ll paint em. I guess I could use the decal as a guide for the mask? 🤔 and yes not just you. I think I made a rod for my own back by scratch building that tail area. 

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That engine looks seriously good, great effects and use of the washes too.  Great extra fettling to get to fit .  

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Thanks. Not quite done yet but getting there.

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I love watching builds like this - taking a golden oldie and giving it a makeover with good old-fashioned modelling skills, and drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st Century. 

Loving your work. 
Tom

Thanks Tom. It reminds me of a build I did a few years back of the old Airfix Prowler. Now they were gaps. 😩

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Impressive weathering, John - and more impressive surgery on the engine assembly :worthy: :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. 😇

1 hour ago, SafetyDad said:

Hats off to you for your thoughtful and determined approach to getting this kit across the line. I'm also impressed with your pre-shading and varied metallic finishes using the mottling template. 

SD

Thanks. The template was really good although I think I’ll do some mule tests before I hit the venom again.

57 minutes ago, Lewis95 said:

I actually just ordered my first clay wash from Ultimate as Flory was out of the dark dirt. 

Engines look fantastic and the fitting issue looks like an excuse for hard labour! Just like building the real thing 😛

Ultimate washes or Flory from ultimate? I didn’t think Flory sold through any one else. Regardless clay washes are very forgiving. I love ‘em. I’m guessing the real thing probably fitted. Probably. 🤪

• Like 2

Afternoon you lot. More Dehaviland style action this morning. 😇

As promised the engine bays.

not too much detail but just enough.

49929118973_07286f0df3_b.jpg

Aaand the other side.

49929118983_ef701b8a15_b.jpg

I’m still not convinced that this is the best way to construct this kit but it is indeed “A” way. It certainly keeps you on your toes. I really wanted to get the engine in before I go crazy with ze wires and I need to add the over brace thing.

so pipe in.

49929119263_ef8b2df5c4_b.jpg

Hmmmmmmm I’ll need to mask that and painting will be problematic maybe if it was painted first. 🙀🤦‍♂️🙌 .....Right!!!

Pre shade in brown. I’ve learnt from my prowler build not to pe shade white with black. (Or yellow for that matter) .

49929119033_ccf24bac39_b.jpg

White mix. 10:1 with Tamiya white and deck tan.

A few passes.

49929119238_d7ac275b08_b.jpg

More passes.

49929634171_9c42be8f2f_b.jpg

That’s pretty good. See the pre shade??? 🤪 oh shut up. 🤪🤣

That got a gloss coat and left to dry. 
while that happened I made a little hat for the tail pipe when top coat comes to town. 

49929118938_ffe9b02dd3_b.jpg

Paper cylinder with a tape lid. 😍

ok all dry time for this thing to happen. The pipe got pushed into the tail and the main engine took its final position.

I glued with Rocket Red and added some little brackets for structure and solidity.

49929634306_395203156d_b.jpg

Now let’s see if Lady Luck has her dancing shoes on.

weellllllll after about ten minutes of shaving and cutting, twisting, pushing And quite a lot of swearing . (Sounds like the worst dance ever) The bottom (steady on Ced) looks like this.

49929634236_53286d12d0_b.jpg

Mmmmm not bad. Unfortunately the top looks like this.

49929634231_6db2f6b7fb_b.jpg

Right well yes. 🤔🤔🤔🤔 only one thing for it. Remembering that Prowler build I employed a subtle technique known as blind fury and brute force. 🙀🤣 This my friends goes two ways only. Success or well let’s not think about the other one eh.

Breath innnnnn.    

49929119018_da2b46613b_b.jpg

now the lack of clamps tells a tale but the use of TET and Rocket Red tells another.

I’m happy with that. Let’s just hope it holds.

the engine bay looks full too.

49929119243_8d430c5f3e_b.jpg

Looks like I can squeeze a few more wires in there though eh.

oh and look at the size of this beauty.

49929119218_d0b786f872_b.jpg

🤪😛 mahoosive. 
Do you think it’s dry yet? 

more later on. 

Take care Y’hear.

Johnny. 😍

• Like 13

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Ultimate washes or Flory from ultimate? I didn’t think Flory sold through any one else. Regardless clay washes are very forgiving. I love ‘em. I’m guessing the real thing probably fitted. Probably. 🤪

The Ultimate Washes Dark Dirt as Flory was out of stock. Would of been Flory if he had it! 

Would hope the engines fit in the real world. Things could get.... Interesting otherwise... 

• Haha 1

Thanks Ced. I don’t do anything special really but I think heading at it with a vision of the end product I’d say it’s : 70% process, 20% knowledge and 10% luck. 

I reckon there's an 'artistic bent' in there too Johnny, but I will practice :) 

The bottom (steady on Ced) looks like this.

Snigger :D 

Great work on the close up - that engine bay is looking very nice.

• Thanks 1

Nice use of brute force! Always a relief when it works, too.

Having said that, are you sure the firewall should be behind the edge of the panel? I would have expected the firewall part to be under the plastic, not in the hatch area.

Just a thought.

Ian

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

The Ultimate Washes Dark Dirt as Flory was out of stock. Would of been Flory if he had it! 

Would hope the engines fit in the real world. Things could get.... Interesting otherwise... 

ahhhh I see. I hope they work out for you. Indeed. Nobody wants wobbly engine.,😯

3 hours ago, hendie said:

and pretty convincing too.  that's going to look great with a bit more greebling

Thanks. More bits and pieces have indeed been added.

3 hours ago, CJP said:

Coming together nicely Johnny & that finish on the engine looks a treat

CJP

Thanks.

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I reckon there's an 'artistic bent' in there too Johnny, but I will practice :) 

Snigger :D 

Great work on the close up - that engine bay is looking very nice.

Yes I guess you’re right. I never give being artistic credit as it’s a natural thing for me but practice always comes in handy too. 😇

43 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice looking engine bay, most realistic!

Stay safe        Roger

Thank you sir. 

13 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Nice use of brute force! Always a relief when it works, too.

Having said that, are you sure the firewall should be behind the edge of the panel? I would have expected the firewall part to be under the plastic, not in the hatch area.

Just a thought.

Ian

Indeed. The instructions are a little vague, the lip at the top was added by me so that gives the illusion of being further forward. The plan was to pop the wall behind the lip but the encased intakes were too far back and didn’t fit in the slots necessary to make the whole thing flow. There would have been visible gaps from the front. 🙃

so there was only one true start point and that was the join point for the intakes. I wish I’d found the best way to put this together alas it was still a struggle.

Johnny

• Like 1