"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

Panel lines.

The joints between sheet metal are quite fine and not that noticeable in this scale, rivets are countersunk and disappear under paint.

Access panels are highly visible on Sea Venom's as they were almost always started onboard ship with the wings folded and the turbo starter exhaust makes a pig of a mess.

Well used Sea Venom's have a very black stain on the upper surface of the starboard wing from the exhaust.

The underside can be covered in leaks (2nd generation gas turbine & British will ensure such) , lots of big panels under the wings that are quite visible.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

DH were still using wood construction around the fuselage, certainly on the Vampire. 

Don't know about the Venom but it's worth checking out 

Yes, still wooden (from the firewall forward) with linen cloth coating on the Venom/Sea Venom.  

There used to be two brand new Venom pods stored near to me, they're a real carpenters work of art!

Cracking work going into this kit, I'm inclined to agree with the other comments and keep it fairly smooth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2020 at 10:19 PM, Marklo said:

Looking good so far. WRT the rivets any of the pictures of Venom/vampires on the interweb look quite smooth and rivet free, it looks to me as if countersunk heads were used then plainished smooth ( I used to work on engines and this is what we did for rivet heads that were in the jet airflow) then painted over. Now on a very distressed or worn airframe these will start to show through the paintwork as little (~10mm diameter) cracks, in extreme cases circular patches. It’s very common to see on airliners, if you ever get to fly on a plane again take a look at the rivet lines around the door.

Now to cut a very long and rambling reply short( areas or high stress may have visible rivet heads and in 1/32 you probably should see them but if you’re doing a factory finish no rivets even in the silver ones as they look like paint not an nmf.  Sigh.

Ok thank you for a very comprehensive answer. I’d prefer not to add then. 🤗

On 5/14/2020 at 10:58 PM, giemme said:

Smart job on the front wheel well, Johnny! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G. It’s coming on, slowly but surely. 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:34 AM, rob Lyttle said:

DH were still using wood construction around the fuselage, certainly on the Vampire. 

Don't know about the Venom but it's worth checking out 

Yes a wooden wonder I think. Beautiful madness.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:57 AM, hendie said:

a larger version of this photo can be found here

Swiss_Air_Force_De_Havilland_DH-112_Mk_4

personally I'd keep away from panel lines and rivets. It was a very smooth skinned aircraft with an occasional greeblie or two on the underside

I’m liking this news. 😍 Thanks for the pic.

On 5/15/2020 at 8:40 AM, NAVY870 said:

Panel lines.

The joints between sheet metal are quite fine and not that noticeable in this scale, rivets are countersunk and disappear under paint.

Access panels are highly visible on Sea Venom's as they were almost always started onboard ship with the wings folded and the turbo starter exhaust makes a pig of a mess.

Well used Sea Venom's have a very black stain on the upper surface of the starboard wing from the exhaust.

The underside can be covered in leaks (2nd generation gas turbine & British will ensure such) , lots of big panels under the wings that are quite visible.

Thank you sir. This info is invaluable. 🙌

On 5/15/2020 at 11:57 AM, 71chally said:

Yes, still wooden (from the firewall forward) with linen cloth coating on the Venom/Sea Venom.  

There used to be two brand new Venom pods stored near to me, they're a real carpenters work of art!

Cracking work going into this kit, I'm inclined to agree with the other comments and keep it fairly smooth.

Thank you for the info. Smooth she shall be. 

On 5/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good Johnny and really coming on . great work fella.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. 😇

• Like 2

Hello you lot. Some slow progress on the Beast.

The bits and bobs got primed. 👍

49907091152_6a88e3e74e_b.jpg

I need to figure out how I’m going to bring this all together now. I need to get the engine bay together so the wings will need to go on which means I need to do these bits.

49906273223_6a5c8cdd79_b.jpg

Aaaand.

49906788926_5300b9b68d_b.jpg

I raided the bits box to find that cylinder type thing.

49907090712_11292c8597_b.jpg

That’ll do. 😇

I cut it up added some styrene shapes and we are here.

49907090452_3ff22e3e23_b.jpg

This got mirrored on the other wing then added to the main fuselage.
bit first I need a fuselage.

Two.

49907090522_faa900d44b_b.jpg

become one.

49907090887_1897e391f2_b.jpg

❤️ Not a bad fit really. Now where did I put that wing?

49907090482_f62f66c039_b.jpg

As you can see the wing sections fit into the main engine bay. These will be turned into internal structures for the engine.

As you can see from this shot the wing fit is not quite so good. 🤣🤪

49906788386_580d70c639_b.jpg

and from the other side.

49907090447_994cddcb9e_b.jpg

Easily fixed with some plasticard shims.

49906787956_354a34b163_b.jpg

I’ll need to use ppp to smooth that off.

next up ribs.

49906788051_af1756237a_b.jpg

Hhhhhang on. Them’s not ribs. Them’s ginger nuts. 😀 I think zero would like one.

49906273383_664d94bf2e_b.jpg

There’s a good boy. 🐺 now where were we? Ahhh yes internals. 

49906272988_9f1fdf9b3e_b.jpg

the spar section was blended with the rear section to make a beam and some struts were added. This will be copied to the other side.

49907090822_a4a9415992_b.jpg

Right all headed in the right direction. Time to head up there now and get some more done. 👍

Thanks for all the help. Take care and Happy Modelling.

Johnny.

• Like 19

16 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

that cylinder type thing.

Looking at that picture, I'd say there is another cylinder thing missing. There are two spare clamps, a 'nappy pin' and a blanking cap hanging around.

Having said that, your replacement is very nice and looks good in there, so it's probably not worth worrying about.

As to the purpose of said cylinder type thing, I'm guessing fuel system something or other, or an air reservoir for blowing down the flaps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work Johnny, I am glad you are doing this build, as I would have gone and cut off those tabs for the wings without thinking, I really must start reading the instructions more!!!.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

As you can see from this shot the wing fit is not quite so good. 🤣🤪

that classes as an invisible join after working on the Classic Airframes kit

Check your references Johnny, but there were some strengthening panels on the underside adjacent to the U/C bays and another longer one just outboard - seen here in white

P2200011.jpg

and also something that looked like a bunch of welds immediately behind the shell ejector ports - I used some resin printed "vents" to  simulate the welds

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Jont, really coming together :) 

Two become one eh? Now I have the ear worm… and I need some love like I've never…🎶

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Them’s ginger nuts. 😀 I think zero would like one.

How can you refuse that look? If only they could talk… (bit risqué that clip, but so true…)

• Haha 2

That Zero look tells a lot, Johnny ... :rofl: 

Quite some gaps you have there, but you're dealing with them brilliantly :)  :clap: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

49906788926_5300b9b68d_b.jpg

I raided the bits box to find that cylinder type thing.

The "cylinder type thing" is the deck hook accumulator, the missing part inboard of that would be the engine fire bottle (both sides)

The leather strap at the top of the pic is storage for spare starter cartridges, two each side.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, hendie said:

Check your references Johnny, but there were some strengthening panels on the underside adjacent to the U/C bays and another longer one just outboard - seen here in white

and also something that looked like a bunch of welds immediately behind the shell ejector ports - I used some resin printed "vents" to  simulate the welds

Specific to the single seaters only, the patches round the gear wells were fitted after cracks in the structure and catastrophic wing failures

The bits on the gun bay door were long metal strips and only fitted on the Swiss FB.50's (There's a pair of them in our museums storage)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

the patches round the gear wells were fitted after cracks in the structure

We had to do exactly the same thing on the Tucano after cracks in the skin around the gear wells.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

The bits on the gun bay door were long metal strips and only fitted on the Swiss FB.50's (There's a pair of them in our museums storage)

dammit, that means I got mine wrong then.  Oh well, they're on there now and they ain't coming off.  If I ever build another now one I'll know!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hendie said:

dammit, that means I got mine wrong then.  Oh well, they're on there now and they ain't coming off.  If I ever build another now one I'll know!

Its one of those obscure things that only a Venom tragic like myself knows.

Dont worry about it, I'm sure nobody heard 😇

Edited by NAVY870
  • Haha 4

On 5/18/2020 at 7:24 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Looking at that picture, I'd say there is another cylinder thing missing. There are two spare clamps, a 'nappy pin' and a blanking cap hanging around.

Having said that, your replacement is very nice and looks good in there, so it's probably not worth worrying about.

As to the purpose of said cylinder type thing, I'm guessing fuel system something or other, or an air reservoir for blowing down the flaps.

Dang it. I could add more. 🤔 we shall see. Good spot though.

On 5/18/2020 at 7:35 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Johnny, I am glad you are doing this build, as I would have gone and cut off those tabs for the wings without thinking, I really must start reading the instructions more!!!.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

I don’t think the instructions tell you to do that. I was going to cut them off too until I noticed the difference to the look without them.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:03 PM, hendie said:

P2200011.jpg

Thanks. I had t seen anything like that on my pics but it’s always good to check. I thought the CA kit was pretty good. Yours looked amazing in the end. 🙌👍

On 5/19/2020 at 8:34 AM, CedB said:

Nice work Jont, really coming together :) 

Two become one eh? Now I have the ear worm… and I need some love like I've never…🎶

How can you refuse that look? If only they could talk… (bit risqué that clip, but so true…)

🤣🤣🤣👂🐛 Sorry. He always looks at me like that. Because he knows I can’t resist but to give him a treat. 🙃 bad owner. 😂

On 5/19/2020 at 8:34 AM, giemme said:

That Zero look tells a lot, Johnny ... :rofl: 

Quite some gaps you have there, but you're dealing with them brilliantly :)  :clap: 

Ciao

I have had a lot worse.  Zero can beg for Britain but it’s my fault as I always give in.🙈

On 5/19/2020 at 8:40 AM, NAVY870 said:

The "cylinder type thing" is the deck hook accumulator, the missing part inboard of that would be the engine fire bottle (both sides)

The leather strap at the top of the pic is storage for spare starter cartridges, two each side.

Thanks for the info. So would there be 4 bottle things each side? Two each side of the strut with the holes in it?

On 5/19/2020 at 10:38 AM, Spookytooth said:

Coming along quite nicely John, gaps are the pita but you sorted them out.

Ginger nuts, no wonder Zero was interested.

Stay safe 

Simon.

Thanks Simon. 

On 5/19/2020 at 11:39 AM, NAVY870 said:

Specific to the single seaters only, the patches round the gear wells were fitted after cracks in the structure and catastrophic wing failures

Right. Got it. Thank you I like fixes like that. 😇

On 5/19/2020 at 8:00 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

We had to do exactly the same thing on the Tucano after cracks in the skin around the gear wells.

😱

On 5/20/2020 at 12:02 AM, hendie said:

Another one it is. 🤗

On 5/20/2020 at 12:27 AM, Wince said:

Looking good! Only seen one in the flesh at the elmdon airport 60th anniversary open day when I was a 16 year old pup. It was leaking fuel on the day! 

Sounds like leaks are a thing. 😂

On 5/20/2020 at 1:18 AM, Lewis95 said:

Looking good there bud! :)

Thank you.

On 5/20/2020 at 9:38 AM, NAVY870 said:

Its one of those obscure things that only a Venom tragic like myself knows.

Dont worry about it, I'm sure nobody heard 😇

Tragic nahhhh very helpful I’d say. 🖤

On 5/20/2020 at 7:24 PM, Spookytooth said:

By the gallon?

Simon.

not quite. 😇

19 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

Are you sure?

Did it say "Scrumpy" on the bottle?

Funny you should mention that. 🤦‍♂️🍎🍏🍻

• Like 6

Hey folks. 🥂

I have taken a few days off as my half term holiday has been canceled and I haven’t Had a break yet this year. Working from home is still working right 😇. I shouldn’t grumble I’m busy and many are struggling. 
we took the van out today as it was so hot and walked along the river. Not many people about and social distancing was still stuck too.

49919850028_c81249e292_b.jpg

Lovely day though. 🤩

The paint I mentioned was this.

49920663647_12be81409c_b.jpg

I was indeed drinking a half of cider when I made my post last time. I was going to run upstairs and grab a pic but I was just tooooo lazy. 🦦

I didn’t mention last time but this happened while spraying the primer on the engine bay.

49906272933_0151505634_b.jpg

Could have been worse eh. Could have been the other side. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
I can paint that again. 🤪🤦‍♂️
Now back to paint👨‍🎨. I figured I had the right colour for the top side. EDSG as it happens. I’d seen the letters but didn’t know what it meant. “Extra Dark Sea Grey“. As pretty much everyone will know.

Tamiya don’t do one. But there are two mixes. One needs 50 drops of one paint mixed with a few drops of others. (Crazy mix) the other one mixes just two paints in small measure. I did this test but it looked wrong so. “I ordered paint” here is the test.

49919849758_670833aee0_b.jpg

The blue is the Tamiya mix the grey is the Mr Hobby Colour.  I’m glad I ordered.🧐

Now here’s the thing. Initially I was headed here.

49919849958_f38b70e9fd_b.jpg

I would love to do a shark mouth as I have never done one but I never felt the love for this one. Plus it has a white belly. Not terrible but I fancied a sky underside.

so in honour  of @NAVY870 I think I’ll change to.

49919849933_aa046bd700_b.jpg

I’m loving the yellow on this one too. Plus I get to do sky intakes. Those Roos too. 🦘

I did make a little rib thing too.

49920663882_cabb1a0647_b.jpg

Need to paint that. Greeny grey? I

think that and some silver. Oh and just when you thought I’d bought enough plastic over lockdown I had a major wallet malfunction. I didn’t mean this to happen but the same person was selling some bargains on the bay. I really wanted this!

49920663802_c848d88744_b.jpg

The worst thing you can do after finding a bargain is look for. ........     ......

”sellers other items” 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
so after a few sweaty minutes of last minute bidding I got some combined postage action.

Here’s number two.

49920663847_5d96ae9748_b.jpg

Oh man!!!! That’s a doosie! 😍

and then the wild card.

49920663792_e6b5228131_b.jpg

My first Hasegawa and mad as a balloon! 🎈 love it!!!!! 
1/32 This aeroplane must have been tiny. 
Right no more! No more. 🤣😂  everyone else is at work tomorrow so I’m planning some  Venom action.

Oh I sanded an did a test spray of the Gap.

49920393906_c4453cc9bc_b.jpg

Pretty good. 😍

Thats it for you tonight. More tomorrow.

Thanks for dropping by.

Hope you are all staying safe. Take care.

Johnny boy. 🥳

• Like 16

32 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

49920663792_e6b5228131_b.jpg

My first Hasegawa and mad as a balloon! 🎈 love it!!!!! 

How wierdly convergent is THAT ⁉️

IMG_20200521_230002

You're right..... Mad as a box of frogs! 

I halted mine until I come up with a way to rig the lines that I can perform . 

Hasegawa 1.32 has a great reputation generally. I bet there's a decent radial engine in your box. 

I shall look forward to seeing you knock that one into shape at some point 👍

• Like 6