"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Love that cockpit Johnny - stunning…

Good save on the close up :) 

Thanks Ced.

8 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

That weathering is good! Well done - looks really convincing.

SD

Thankyou sir.

8 hours ago, giemme said:

That cockpit is a joy to behold, Johnny! :worthy:. :clap:

Ciao

Tanks G

7 hours ago, tomprobert said:

That is some lovely detail work - very convincing. 

Parts you forgot to add look like the intake trunking and some exhaust assembly. 

Yes indeed. I’m working on those bits now. 🙈

7 hours ago, Massimo said:

You did a fantastic job on those seats and the end result of the cockpit is astonishing!!!

This isn't an easy scale but you got the best from an old base!

Looking forward for your next update!!!

Ciao

Massimo

Thanks.

6 hours ago, hendie said:

are you going to have your big thruster exposed ? there could be some nice detailing to be added there

I am indeed. 🤣🙈 

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Smashing cockpit and panel. And a good recovery from premature closure. It's always easier without having to do keyhole surgery too...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks. Yes I’m glad I noticed.

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great work on the cockpit fella, the weather effects really bring it to life.  This is going to look amazing when the finished seats are installed.  

Cracking work.

All the best

Chris

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Glad that you spotted that engine fitting bit, could of been a tad fiddly to fit afterwards.

Cockpit looks the dog`s back wheels sir.

Simon.

Actually thinking about it it might fit on the outer edge? There are no clear rules with this darn kit. 🤔🤨

6 hours ago, Martian said:

Fnar, snurf.

Lovely work Johnny. It did occur to me though, that to make the cockpit even more authentic, you could have got @NAVY 840 to send you some genuine Sea Venom muck to dirty it up, rather that use the Flory stuff.

Helpful of Mars 👽

Ha. Now there’s a thought. 🙌

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Great work so far and a very good call to open up the fuselage again.  It was that forward engine bulkhead just aft of the intakes that gave me all the problems.

What problems did you get? Just so I can look out for them. 

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

What a gorgeous cockpit, you can almost smell it! Oh, and good save on the engine fitting!

Ian

Thank you sir.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

What problems did you get? Just so I can look out for them. 

It was a while ago now but IIRC, it seemed to be too big for the fuselage.  And unfortunately the one thing i hadn't done was a trial fit before the engine was fully detailed, painted and all attached.  There was some reason, and I can't remember what it was, that I couldn't just carefully sand away the excess. If I get a chance after work tomorrow (well work from home tomorrow - I'm just as busy as I would be in the office!) I'll try to get I out of its box and have a look into the engine bay to see if I can remember exactly what caused it. 

• Thanks 1

Some fantastic updates there Johnny. Makes for a good read considering I'm currently in a tools down period due to the kids being problematic. 

I did however order myself a piece of kit inspired by you.... Not sure how to link a picture here so here's the Amazon link. Basically, weighted Croc clips for airbrushing after a blu tac toothpick disaster. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CU1JNEK/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_uDYREbDB1SMNP

• Like 1

Hey you lot. Hope you’re all well. More tinkering today, seems like a lot of nothing has been done but I’m sure something happened. 😯

I forgot to mention that I opened up the front wheel well yesterday.

49849409222_c1ac96be47_b.jpg

I’ll use the kit part as much as I can and add the curve. Space won’t allow too much Accuracy but it’ll be better.

49849409082_222770f415_b.jpg

This morning I started on the engine. I’ll as @hendie mentioned have my big thruster out. Well part of it anyhow. 🙈 

Ooh goodie no locating pins. 😫

49850920018_b8899be3b2_b.jpg

I think I need to look at what this thing actually looks like. 

49851867486_ed9d0ed8e9_b.jpg

ahhh right ok. Should it be green? 
any way this bit got glued that looked o bit like the the ghost. 👻

49850922673_2d7bd7ed15_b.jpg

there were no locating pins here either. It was an odd one going together but it looks like it’s going to be ok.

i think I need to start dry fitting bits to see how it all fits together.

49851455636_0847d14eb2_b.jpg

Surely the tail section can’t be that bare?

The arrestor hook fits there so.

49850919718_3f2c2c9edc_b.jpg

Hmm still a little bare. So I did a search.

49852139292_ccf0cfe589_b.jpg

I found this video. There in the background. 👌 more scratch work. 🤪

while scratting around for info I stumble across @TheBaron’s build back in the days when we could stand next to each other. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ How on earth did I forget that build? Heavens!!! The amount of info kept within is going to help me something rotten. To be fair I could have done with the seat ref a few weeks ago. Tony thank you and I hope you don’t mind me pilfering some pics.

these ones for instance.

49851454846_b9bc6b5236_c.jpg

And.

49851294533_4432b28fd2_c.jpg

handy indeed. 🤩🤩🤩

Now let’s look at the kit part.

49851756372_3d955e0e33_b.jpg

Not too much to add really but what the ???? What shape is the internal pipe?? Hhhhaaaaaaanng on!!!! Bloody locating pins exactly where I don’t need them. 🤦‍♂️🙈 Thanks Matchbox.

49851459436_a505db7dd5_b.jpg

Well at least I have my new chisels. 👍

half gone.

49851459426_83b9ecd88d_b.jpg

That’s better.

49851455576_ee30c8f047_b.jpg

The intake tubes got glued as the seam will need sorting.

49851758137_270fc2976c_b.jpg

That one. 🙈🙈🙈

49850919808_bbe76f6c15_b.jpg

no worries. PPP to the rescue.

49852107142_637ba8164b_b.jpg

And sanded.

49851459076_ee9d713958_b.jpg

And sprayed.

49850923183_828f8189c3_b.jpg

Seam be gone!! ❤️

I added this detail to the fire wall too.

49850923423_5064dbf38f_b.jpg

I’ll drill some holes as it looks like pipes go through there.

49850923118_0cf5f315d0_b.jpg

That is where we are. There’s a lot of work to do before this thing gets closed up. The wing locates Ito the open section that I also need to scratch up to look something like. All good fun right. 🙌🤩 Thanks for popping by any info or comments welcome. 

Take care and as always, Happy Moddeling. 

Johnny. 🦇

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Tony thank you and I hope you don’t mind me pilfering some pics.

Pilfer away dear heart, though iirc all the juiciest fruits were generously from @NAVY870's archives anyway, so all credit in that direction.

• Thanks 1

Is this what you call "a lot of nothing"? :frantic: 

For goodness sake, that's a lot of work in my books! Great stuff, Johnny! :clap: That (now) seamless intake looks fab! 

Ciao

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I think I need to look at what this thing actually looks like. 

49851867486_ed9d0ed8e9_b.jpg

They don't look like that, that would be a Ghost 103, single seat Venom's only. You'll be looking for either a Ghost 104 for an FAW.21 / 53 

or a Ghost 105 for an FAW.22

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The great work continues!

On 03/05/2020 at 21:13, Chewbacca said:

I'll try to get it out of its box and have a look into the engine bay to see if I can remember exactly what caused it. 

Okay, so i found the model languishing in a box in the stash cupboard looking distinctly worse for wear (despite being protected in a box it needs shall we say, "running repairs".  I think it got damaged on the way home from the last show). 

Here's the engine bay firewall:  

49856833217_d83a6c2b79_b.jpg

The issue I had was that having built it up as per the instructions, that bulkhead was way too large for the available space within the fuselage.  If you look carefully at that bulkhead, you'll see the engine bearers are missing because they broke when pressure was applied to get it to close up and the bulkhead itself has broken at the horizontal join and the bottom half is angled back towards the rear.  Unfortunately, for the life of me I can't remember what caused it and why I couldn't just shave a small amount off all around.  There was a reason.

Interestingly looking at it five years on, the intakes seem too small for the holes through the bulkhead so I'm wondering perhaps I had it mounted the firewall too close to the engine, but since originally it was supported on the engine bearers to provide the correct spacing, I think that's unlikely.  Also, if you look at the second photo, you can see the aft bulkhead has a fairly large gap so there's definitely something not quite right with the engine mounting.

49856893157_6df8d4a92f_b.jpg

Looking at the quality of your cockpit compared to mine, I doubt you'll have any problems.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, TheBaron said:

Pilfer away dear heart, though iirc all the juiciest fruits were generously from @NAVY870's archives anyway, so all credit in that direction.

Thanks Tony, much appreciated and thanks @NAVY870 🤩

On 5/3/2020 at 10:16 PM, giemme said:

Is this what you call "a lot of nothing"? :frantic: 

For goodness sake, that's a lot of work in my books! Great stuff, Johnny! :clap: That (now) seamless intake looks fab! 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. So much stuff to make better but it’s all good fun. 🥳🤪

14 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

They don't look like that, that would be a Ghost 103, single seat Venom's only. You'll be looking for either a Ghost 104 for an FAW.21 / 53 

or a Ghost 105 for an FAW.22

Thanks for the heads up. You don’t have an actual picture by any chance? I don’t really know what I’m looking for. Excuse my ignorance but I can’t tell the bloomin things apart. 

13 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work on the seam! You could start a mail order service for people making Vulcans and Victors...

Regards,

Adrian

Ha. Thank you sir. 😇

11 hours ago, CedB said:

Great work Jont, you're really bashing this into perfect shape, again! :) 

Thanks Ced. She’s a bit of a beast that’s for sure.

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Very impressive fella

All the best

Chris

Thank you. Too kind.

48 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

The great work continues!

Okay, so i found the model languishing in a box in the stash cupboard looking distinctly worse for wear (despite being protected in a box it needs shall we say, "running repairs".  I think it got damaged on the way home from the last show). 

Here's the engine bay firewall:  

49856833217_d83a6c2b79_b.jpg

The issue I had was that having built it up as per the instructions, that bulkhead was way too large for the available space within the fuselage.  If you look carefully at that bulkhead, you'll see the engine bearers are missing because they broke when pressure was applied to get it to close up and the bulkhead itself has broken at the horizontal join and the bottom half is angled back towards the rear.  Unfortunately, for the life of me I can't remember what caused it and why I couldn't just shave a small amount off all around.  There was a reason.

Interestingly looking at it five years on, the intakes seem too small for the holes through the bulkhead so I'm wondering perhaps I had it mounted the firewall too close to the engine, but since originally it was supported on the engine bearers to provide the correct spacing, I think that's unlikely.  Also, if you look at the second photo, you can see the aft bulkhead has a fairly large gap so there's definitely something not quite right with the engine mounting.

49856893157_6df8d4a92f_b.jpg

Looking at the quality of your cockpit compared to mine, I doubt you'll have any problems.

Wow! Thank you for going to the trouble of getting your model. She looks great from what I can see. Looks like you did some upgrading of your own too 🤩. I did a test fit this evening and it seemed ok but I’ll do a lot more at every step now I know there is a problem.  Thank you once again. 

Johnny

• Like 3

I just happened upon this thread and it brought back some horrific memories of a 10yo me trying to build this in 1989. Not an easy build, especially brush painting it for what seemed like days! Hat off, sir....

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks for the heads up. You don’t have an actual picture by any chance? I don’t really know what I’m looking for. Excuse my ignorance but I can’t tell the bloomin things apart. 

Surely

WZ.907's engine in situ

9A1hMO8.jpg

This is the engine that will eventually be installed in WZ.897

o1EvQkl.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Buff Manila said:

I just happened upon this thread and it brought back some horrific memories of a 10yo me trying to build this in 1989. Not an easy build, especially brush painting it for what seemed like days! Hat off, sir....

Thank you and sorry for bringing back all those 'Orrible memories.   Can't be that bad, .....can it? 🤪   We can re build.......(her) :D

1 hour ago, NAVY870 said:

Surely

WZ.907's engine in situ

9A1hMO8.jpg

This is the engine that will eventually be installed in WZ.897

o1EvQkl.jpg

OOOOoooooohhhh lovely. thankyou. I can't guarantee all the wires will be in the right place but I'll have a go. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/3/2020 at 11:51 PM, Martian said:

Fnar, snurf.

Lovely work Johnny. It did occur to me though, that to make the cockpit even more authentic, you could have got @NAVY 840 to send you some genuine Sea Venom muck to dirty it up, rather that use the Flory stuff.

Helpful of Mars 👽

That would be NAVY 870 Dear.

NAVY 840 is a Grumman Tracker and thems fightin words!

• Haha 5

Right oh. It’s pretty much the weekend right? 🤩. I have been messing with plastic in between working and progress has been steady. 
There are quite a few bits to tackle but I figured the tail seemed a good spot as the exhaust pops out there and I need to test fit the engine aand the supplied bit are a little lacklustre. There are two sets one for sea venom and some other bit that I’m sure @Martian wouldn’t give the time of day. 😋

There is no top to the bottom if you catch my drift as seen a few posts ago. So initially I thought plasticard bent around a paint brush and some boiling water.

49857008027_88fedbab83_b.jpg

Looks like it might work. 🤩

not quite. 😢

Too wobbly and weird.🤨🤨

so after many different attempts that were rather too flamboyant to photograph we ended up about an hour later in the day and here.

49856166178_079b7810c1_b.jpg

Yes I know it shouldn’t have taken that long to get here but that is the way of things when you model little aeroplanes for a hobby. 😍🛩

This got cut to shape by your modellers fair hand.

49856707491_051edfb71c_b.jpg

looking good Billy ray!!!! 🛶

Now you have to appreciate I’m winging this as I’ve seen a few of these built but the steps are less than helpful some of the time. Not that I’m complaining. I’ve had Cider in the garden. It’s gone a little to my head. 🤪🧐

Any way where were we. I love writing that. 🥳

what to do next? Right well let’s go with this.

49857008887_f630a3814c_b.jpg

I’ll glue these bits together so I have a full tail section to add to the full nose section. Makes sense. Kind of? 🧐

Here is the front section I’ll eventually glue it to.

49857008922_8bcafb67d0_b.jpg

The wing has two rather ..... (although they look like a pain they’re not)  pegs that slot into the two sections. 
Bear with me on this one I’ve given it some thought. The pic @Chewbacca sent of his lovely rendition of the ghost in situ and the actual thing in place sent by @NAVY870 the actual thing looks a little more.... snug shall we say. I’m looking at the model and forgive me if I’m wrong but it looks like @Chewbacca might have cut away the pegs as not to encroach into the engine bay. Although a solid plan this seems to have made the Ghost look smaller than it is. “Is your book bigger than it is?” I love that quote, Chris Morris is a bloody genius in my book. 🤣 sorry for the digression. So with that I checked my parts in place to see what was going on.

49864045947_eaec7a597d_b.jpg

As you can see the peg on the right makes everything look a little more snug. Jeez I sound like Bill @perdu “That’s a self compliment right there”  so to get to the point I think. I’m going to build some extra bits and bobs for the ghost bay anyway I will leave the pegs well alone and treat them as structure and decoration all at the same time.  Core took a while to get there didn’t it. I shouldn’t drink

cider really. 🤪

Ok well with a plan properly hatched I built some side bits for the tail from card.

49863202823_8c3dddc1d2_b.jpg

I know they sink in but with the hook in place you’ll never know. (And won’t ever mention it to any one. 😏😉)

And from another angle. 

49863743561_ddb8314074_b.jpg

the grey blobs are Mr Surfacer on top of some PPP.  Ooh there’s a hint for what’s next in my tiny mind. Wheel bay parts must mean wings, which mean flaps. 🤫🤫🤫👻Ghost first. 
Thanks for dropping in and thank you for all the help with pictures and what not it’s all very welcome and appreciated.

Frankenstein tonight. National theatre on YouTube, I can highly recommend their output during this pandemic. Glorious.

Take care friends.

Johnny apple seed. 🍎

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Nowt wrong with a pint, it washes the dust down @giemme..

True, but pint=beer for me, don't like cider ... :shrug:  :D  :D  :beer: 

Ciao

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, giemme said:

True, but pint=beer for me, don't like cider ...

Ah but cider is many things, it bain't all Bulmers tha know.

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

As you can see the peg on the right makes everything look a little more snug. Jeez I sound like Bill @perdu “That’s a self compliment right there”  

Johnny mate you are as entitled to self compliment in your own bloody magnificent self's work, but however I take the compliment gratefully with the ancient words echoing through the vaulting ceilings "I am not worthy"

You are doing wonderful things here and I love 'em

b

[snug? you deserve to be smug]

👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Discovered this gem of a thread and am now totally enthralled! A Sea Venom will always get my attention and this one certainly has. Love your work so far, that I/P is the dogs as they say.

Will be following closely from here on.

Terry

• Thanks 1