"King of confectionery", The Dehavilland Sea Venom 1/32 by Revell

De Havilland Sea Venom 1/32

by Revell / Matchbox

Hi guys.

This has been a long time coming. I built a vampire a few years ago in 1/72 and loved it. the twin booms the shape the colours I loved everything about it.  I learned recently about the Venom by watching @hendie's sublime build. I couldn't resist so searched for a kit. As most of you probably know there aren't many choices. The Classic airframes kit ( Hendies one ) a smaller dragon  kit, a Vac form one by kingkit and this 1/32 by Matchbox or now Revell.

I tried to get my hands on the Classic airframes one alas the ebay auction was too heavy for me. £60 or £70 I think it went for. The Revell kit was next in my sights but was still fetching silly money on ebay so I settled on the Dragon kit just before the lock down.

The very day I bought the dragon kit @rob Lyttle got in touch and offered me the very kit I was looking for for way less than it was worth. What on earth??? How fantastic we are on Britmodeller. 

I couldn't say no to such a kind offer so after swapping details I got this wonderful box of plastic in the post. The kit has been on my mind all the way through my recent JUG build so I'm super happy to at last start.......

This isn't my footage it's by a guy called "blizzardthewatcher" and if He wants me to remove it I will but I had to share at the start of this build just for the sound. Wow!!! what a racket. 😀

Any way I'll not waffle on any longer. The plan is not to spend heaps of money on this as that would be rude to @rob Lyttle any extras I will scratch build and after watching @shark 64’s Wessex build I really think anything is possible.  I'm not 100% sure which one I'm doing but I do like the shark mouth and I have never done one so that might have clinched it.

Here is the obligatory box shot.

49761956301_e34c55a4a2_b.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist. @rob Lyttle The kids still ask if it’s really full of jelly even though they know it isn't.🤣

There are a few of these that I have seen built but many don't make it past the finishing line. This one will.

Alas the original box is lost to the wind but this matters not as the contents is in top condition.

Here are the instructions.

49761956226_dcdb4b05b8_b.jpg

Quite comprehensive.

49762286542_df5c5e80b6_b.jpg

The decals too are in great condition.

49761956096_0137e785c6_b.jpg

aaaand the sprues.

49761425678_21182a3e93_b.jpg 49761425683_57cf367000_b.jpg 49761956146_c7659dace9_b.jpg

the clear parts even though thick are clear and look good.

49761425888_49cc8c0e8a_b.jpg

It's super thick plastic and is showing its age but fingers crossed With the help of the BM hive mind under my wings I should just about be able to pull this off and have a few laughs along the way. 

Now the eagle eyed among you will have noticed that one of the ejection sets is missing.

This one.

49765438377_8a269f5a95_b.jpg

Not a great rendition. 🤔 I could buy a resin set. ( not many really ) but that would cost more than the kit so in the true BM tradition I'll attempt to scratch a better one.

I can't guarantee accuracy but fingers crossed it'll look better than the box offering.

Just noticed a rubbed out matchbox logo on one of the wings.

49765438362_01fdaecca7_b.jpg

you can run but you cant hide Revell.🤣

I got some ref.

49724209347_7cca6efac3_b.jpg

There are some questions about what seats were in these birds but in the handbook it says "martin baker mk-4a" that'll do for me. so I'll aim in that general direction.

As I said don't expect this to be a working miniature seat, it'll be a shot in hopefully the right direction. 😉 You can see surgery has already started. 🤓

This is what I have been messing with while finishing the Jug. I had chopped bits out and made a pad from plasticard and carved in some creases.

49761956036_4020c094a3_b.jpg

Today was spent building up the main seat.

49765439182_b6c37630c9_b.jpg

I am using scrap bits of PE and basically whatever I can get my hands on.

I haven't documented completely as I'm making it up as I go along. I'll make a better job of documentation when I build the second one.

I'm making the straps from Tamiya tape.

49765438382_1975e52886_b.jpg

Buckles and what not will be plasticard and wire. ( probably )

here we are as of this afternoon.

49765112306_da6ae06e00_b.jpg

I need to have a good look at the parts to see what else need messing with. The IP could do with some TLC and there are some raised panel lines but over all she looks amazing.

Once again I cant thank @rob Lyttle enough for the kit and I do hope that you will join me in an adventure into thick Plastic. C'mon It'll be fun they said.

Take care of yourselves people and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny.🤠

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 34

Following with interest! I made a couple of the big Matchbox kits as a nipper, but never this (or the Tiger Moth). I do remember drawing a pencil sketch of the amazing original box art though. A great looking aircraft, looking forward to your build updates!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

OH OH first in will enjoy watching you turn this into another masterpiece.

Stay safe        Roger

No pressure then. 🤗 great to have you tagging along. Thanks Roger. 🙌

54 minutes ago, Quiet Mike said:

Following with interest! I made a couple of the big Matchbox kits as a nipper, but never this (or the Tiger Moth). I do remember drawing a pencil sketch of the amazing original box art though. A great looking aircraft, looking forward to your build updates!

Thanks. Oh man I loved drawing the box art from models and computer games. Such great memories. Glad to have you aboard. 🙌

51 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Yep, I am in on this one Johnny.

Stay safe .

Simon.

Glad to have you along for the ride Simon. 😇

• Like 2

Wow, nice project. Ejection seat is looking good - don’t forget to make twice as many parts, helps to keep them looking the same.

Matchbox did turn out some interesting 1/32s - this, Lysander, Tiger Moth and a late Spitfire when they were rarer than they are now.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Following this build. I do like your build threads and built this model several years ago. Went down a similar route with open nose hatches, engine detail, etc. Be nice to see what you come up with. 

Really impressive work on the seats so far, well done.

Atb, Steve.

• Thanks 1

There you go... Happy Birthday 🎉🎊🎈‼️

This kit is now in safe hands. 

It'd be crazy for me to miss this one! . 

I'm gonna hang around at the back here looking mildly benevolent as I greet the guests...... 

😎

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting kit Johnny. Just one small point though; you missed out the "Sea" from the  Venom in the title of the thread.

FAA fanatic of Mars 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Seats are Martin Baker Mark 4A-1 for the driver and Mark 4A-1A for the passenger 

Passenger seat had a spring loading seat up to push it forward when the canopy departed.

If you need info for this build just shout out

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow, nice project. Ejection seat is looking good - don’t forget to make twice as many parts, helps to keep them looking the same.

Matchbox did turn out some interesting 1/32s - this, Lysander, Tiger Moth and a late Spitfire when they were rarer than they are now.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks. I’m making a few extra bits but some don’t turn out so I’m finding my way with one and making notes. 🙃 I’ll look up the other kits. 

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Great start scratching the elector seat, hope you don't mind me tagging along.

Not at all. The more the merrier. 🤩

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Oh boy, I'm definitely in for this! It's gonna be HUGE in all the possible meanings of that word! :Tasty:  🍿 🍻

Ciao

Not as big as that 1/24 Hurri. 🤪🤣 Thanks G. Glad to have you around. 😇

2 hours ago, triumphfan said:

Following this build. I do like your build threads and built this model several years ago. Went down a similar route with open nose hatches, engine detail, etc. Be nice to see what you come up with. 

Really impressive work on the seats so far, well done.

Atb, Steve.

Thanks. I had a look at your build. Really nice. Did you use resin seats or were those scratched? Glad to have you along for the ride. 🤩

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

There you go... Happy Birthday 🎉🎊🎈‼️

This kit is now in safe hands. 

It'd be crazy for me to miss this one! . 

I'm gonna hang around at the back here looking mildly benevolent as I greet the guests...... 

😎

Thanks Rob. The cat is out of the bag as it were. Thank you once again. 😍

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Interesting kit Johnny. Just one small point though; you missed out the "Sea" from the  Venom in the title of the thread.

FAA fanatic of Mars 👽

Aaaargh fixed. Sorry oh globulous one. 🙌🤩 happy time have your eyes on this. 😀

1 hour ago, hendie said:

I'm in.

I hope this goes together easier than the Classic Airframes kit. - Don't forget to add NOSE WEIGHT and PLENTY OF IT!!!

Nose weight, nose weight, nose weight. Got it.  Thanks, and nice to have you along. 🙌

29 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

Seats are Martin Baker Mark 4A-1 for the driver and Mark 4A-1A for the passenger 

Passenger seat had a spring loading seat up to push it forward when the canopy departed.

If you need info for this build just shout out

Ooh thank you for the info. Yes any help here would be greatly appreciated. 👍

• Like 4

That's better, I thought for a moment you were going to do the Crab Air version in the kit.

Relieved of Mars 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Grabbing my first pint at a live Spad build! 

Looking forward to seeing this beauty :) Had the pleasure of seeing the Vampire FB and T series at the Wales National Airshow a few years ago. Skip forward a few years and my first kit in 15+ years ended up being a T.22 in the admirals barge livery! 

The ejection seat is looking great too :D

• Thanks 1

Watching and following with interest. I managed to bag myself a part started (but only just) Matchbox version of this kit a year or so ago at a good price.

Looking forward to seeing how it should be done!

Any idea of the aircraft you're for?

Cheers,

Jack

• Like 1

Hi Johnny

Great choice of kit, will watch with interest as I have the Matchbox one in the stash. I have bought a pair of replacement seats and wanted to get the replacement wheels as the kit ones look a bit wrong, but funds are prohibiting this so I will have to see what you do with those too.  

Good luck with your build.

Stay safe and all the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks. I had a look at your build. Really nice. Did you use resin seats or were those scratched? Glad to have you along for the ride.

The seats, along with all other additions, were scratch. I don't think there is anything commercially available for the old gal? As mentioned in my post of 2012(iirc) the other club member which built the kit did a detailed wingfold. This looked awesome and I highly recommend the option, I think it would suit your skill-set.

Atb, Steve.

• Thanks 1

oooh nice! I never built any of the big Matchbox kits  but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy supping a pint or two whilst watching this masterpiece take shape!

Ian

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ElectricLightAndy said:

Yay, what a fantastic looking project, I have been eyeing up a matchbox original at my lms for a few months, I will see how yours turns out :)

Andy 

Glad to have you on board. Hopefully I can talk you into a purchase. 🤩

18 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

That's better, I thought for a moment you were going to do the Crab Air version in the kit.

Relieved of Mars 👽

Sorry for the confusion. I’m getting forgetful in my old age. 🧙‍♂️

17 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Grabbing my first pint at a live Spad build! 

Looking forward to seeing this beauty :) Had the pleasure of seeing the Vampire FB and T series at the Wales National Airshow a few years ago. Skip forward a few years and my first kit in 15+ years ended up being a T.22 in the admirals barge livery! 

The ejection seat is looking great too :D

Thanks. Glad to have you along. Enjoy. 😀

10 hours ago, P.1127 said:

Watching and following with interest. I managed to bag myself a part started (but only just) Matchbox version of this kit a year or so ago at a good price.

Looking forward to seeing how it should be done!

Any idea of the aircraft you're for?

Cheers,

Jack

Don’t look too close eh. 🤪 Nice of you to pop over. 😍

10 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Looking forward to this. I had the Matchbox incarnation of this kit in my stash many many years ago, along with the 1/32 Tiger Moth but they both disappeared during a house move. I’m keen to see what I missed out on!

Craig. 

Vanishing kits eh. 🤔🤔🤔 Sounds like skullduggery was involved. 😬

Nice to have you around sir.  Welcome. 🤗

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny

Great choice of kit, will watch with interest as I have the Matchbox one in the stash. I have bought a pair of replacement seats and wanted to get the replacement wheels as the kit ones look a bit wrong, but funds are prohibiting this so I will have to see what you do with those too.  

Good luck with your build.

Stay safe and all the best

Chris

Wrong wheels??? Oh gawd.... 🤗😬🤪🤣 I’ll see what happens eh. By the way what seats did you get? Thanks for tagging along.

10 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm in, of course! :D 

Lovely video too - that's a proper 'small boy' jet noise that is. Lovely.

Hey Ced. Glad to have you around, a pleasure as always. 🤩

10 hours ago, triumphfan said:

The seats, along with all other additions, were scratch. I don't think there is anything commercially available for the old gal? As mentioned in my post of 2012(iirc) the other club member which built the kit did a detailed wingfold. This looked awesome and I highly recommend the option, I think it would suit your skill-set.

Atb, Steve.

Wow! What I saw looked grand indeed bravo sir. I would have loved a WIP. 🤓

no wing fold unfortunately. I’d like her built wings out. I hadn’t planned on having hatches open but you’re tempting me go sure. (Engine out though, of course) 😍

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

oooh nice! I never built any of the big Matchbox kits  but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy supping a pint or two whilst watching this masterpiece take shape!

Ian

Steady on tiger... masterpiece. 🤣😂 hopefully I can get her looking something half decent. Very kind of you to say however. I’ll do ma best. 🤩

• Like 2

Hey guys. Hope you’re having a lovely relaxed bank holiday. I had planned on RFI pics today but looking at what our alien friend @Martian Hale had been up to last night, scratching up Some wonderful innards and getting lost in the joy of it all.

I got a little jealous 🐸 and sitting at the bench this morning I felt the seat was headed in the wrong direction. Not too wrong but a little. I didn’t know what to glue where and was getting mixed up with different reference pics. All very frustrating. Then I looked at what @triumphfan had done with his seats and I decided to look for one ref pic and run with it. I found THIS site that was rather informative and had this great pic.

49770467452_60f5a3c6bd_b.jpg

Right then.... I’ll head for this.
I then got the office sections off the sprues to see what I had to play with.

49770473587_63d4e2c8c0_b.jpg

not amazing but I can work with it.

Setting the seat in place I could see I needed a rear to the seat so I blanked off with plasticard.

49770565427_bb5269bd55_b.jpg

Not convinced by the tape parts I threw caution to the wind I ripped off the belts and started on some new bits and cutting other bits up. 🙈

49770472632_46421101b3_b.jpg

I halved the top pad, added the back pad and forged the seat pad with bits either side.

49770472987_f3013396db_b.jpg

a head rest was added too...

I also added this thing right on the top. 💪

49770148756_2f9c23a739_b.jpg

I’ll be making all the straps from pie tin foil.

49769616688_9b97cf9903_b.jpg

Easier to bend into shape. 🤗
I glued the main structure of the office. This kit is a bit strange as the locating pins are a bit none existent, so it’s a bit of a leap of faith. Suits me. 😳🤯😬🤫🤣

So any way In place she’s not looking too shabby. 🤩

49770148786_ef5b064b42_b.jpg

I began adding some structure to the rear of the seat too.  This sure came in handy, thanks @CedB for the heads up on the box. Soooo good. 🥳

49770473267_f2891f4925_b.jpg

As Martian had mused the day before he had really lost himself in modelling. I had done pretty much the same today. 😍 bliss. Just before dinner I took the seat in the garden for a prime coat.

I’d added Little rivets some detail on the rear, pipes etc and a handle thing on the side. 

49770241406_cce444057b_b.jpg

Some scribing and tubes and belts, lots of belts yet to add but I’m more happy with the direction.

That’s it for now. A quick dog walk then a bit of a relax. Work tomorrow. 🤨

I hope you’re all enjoying this as much as I am.  More soon.

Take care and as always. Happy modelling.

Johnny. 🤓

• Like 20