I want to build a race car model...

RobL

I've done a couple of race car models in the past, and failed miserably at them to be honest.  Just can't make them look good.  One was a Matchbox 1/32 Porsche 917/10 Can Am car, the other was an Airfix 1/32 Porsche 917, neither are great kits to start with...

My problem is that I want a race car kit, in 1/20 to 1/32 scales, that I can lift all the body panels off to reveal pretty much everything that would be underneath on the real car.  Thing is, my budget doesn't stretch much past "kerb side" Italeri/Fujimi/Hasegawa/Tamiya kits, certainly not to Model Factory Hiro prices, and even Model Factory Hiro cars aren't quite what I'd like.

Plus race cars tend to be white or other "difficult" colours to paint.

Why is building a race car kit to the level I want so difficult?

☹️

Edited by RobL

There's plenty of models with full engine detail out there, especially Tamiya and Revell come to mind. This detail of course needs to be improved, but it can be done as many folks around here show. Starting with additional wiring and little scratchbuilt details, or if the money allows detail up kits will give you lots of stuff to fiddle with. Do your research if the model is curbside before spending money. Chose something that completely reveals technical details in a normal service arrangement: Some Group B rallye-cars come to mind immediately. With the bodypanels completely lifting up the whole engine and suspension is seen. Opening the hood on a Lamborghini on the other side only reveals some shiny engine covers. Maybe Motorcycles are something for you? They reveal most of the technical bits without being stripped and always come with full engine detail ;)

Avoid ancient moldings and reboxed versions of them - they can fight you quite a lot. Scalemates is your friend to research that. While a modern kit is not guaranteed to fall toghether it is much more likely. Look around for WIP topics to help you decide: If there's trouble with a kit it will usually be mentioned. Question the builder if in doubt. If there are problems with fitment question yourself if your skills will be enough to tackle that problem or if you are willing to take it on.

MFH kits are well worth the money imho, but you need some serious skills to do them justice. And of course they can be enhanced even further. But if you are not able to get a usual kit to your liking I'd heavily advice against starting a MFH kit.

Car (and bike) finishes are the most difficult to get right imho, as they tend to be pretty glossy. To overcome the associated problems it can help building a well-raced version with grime and even blemishes. Or all-out on weathering with a muddy rallyecar. Older cars were not so shiny, so you'll get a believable finish without going wet-look glossy.

Nothing can help you with improving your skills. You'll need to practice, there's no way around that. Then there's different philosophies to go with. Some would rather do one kit in two years (or more) and work until every detail is right, wich means redoing stuff over and over until it is right. @Codger is the prime example to this approach. The other way is building lots of kits and clean up only the major mishaps, aiming for overall consistency. This route is more rewarding in my book while the first approach is demotivating at times. But that might depend on your personality. Problem with the first approach is - maybe you get the engine detailed to perfection but only manage a rather usual paintjob - then the whole model will be let down by that. The inconsistency in quality will be very obvious and the related disappointment pretty big. On the other side an engine with some nice additional details - not maxed out - and a good paintjob will give an overall look that is convincing and by being consistent it will also be more appealing to non-modelling viewers. Look at this build by @Bevital for example. It isn't overly detailed, but that would be overkill on an ancient Merit kit. Instead the well-placed details enhance the very basic kit and turn it into a rare, beautiful and convincing build.

If you are only into the technical details, another approach might be building the complete chassis without any body panels at all as a kind of technical art piece. Though you'll probably have to do a complete scratchbuild then. A presentation with pictures of the complete car will give the relation for all viewers.

Haven't seen this put to words before in relation to modelling, though most folks tend to do it naturally. It is a well-known approach in miniature painting.

Hope this helps a bit. Level your expectations. If everyone could build masterpieces everyone would do that. The masses of topics on here are by mere mortals, and even the masters started out that way. Post your WIPs, ask for help and guidance, fail or succeed, rinse, repeat, become master. You can do it!

• Like 6

Our friend SB has done a nice service for you by taking the time to explain so much to you about vehicle modeling.

I wish to clarify that doing things many times until satisfactory is not my 'approach'; it's because I can't get things right the first time.:banghead:

Let me add that satisfactory results takes learning all the techniques and materials and a great deal of practice time. Some things will come out better than others but all are learning experiences.

To answer your main question, pick race cars that appeal to you, are not overly complex and from many forms of racing. F-1, sports cars, rally cars, vintage, drag racers, NASCARs - the list is long.

Don't expect or be disappointed by results that some here have learned over decades; be patient, ask questions, acquire tools and - have fun.

• Like 5

To add to the excellent advice above, for white, yellow, and fluorescent colors common on race cars, start with a base coat of Tamiya white primer. It covers well and will give you a good “background” for those difficult colors. If you need to mask multiple colors, there is a flexible plastic tape called washi tape that you can cut into thin strips to mask compound curves. I’ll go over the edge of the tape with a clear gloss to seal it so (hopefully) the next color doesn’t creep under the tape. Lately I’ve been using a brush to apply Future floor polish to the edge with good results. I don’t know what they’re calling Future in your part of the world now, but it should still be available.

HTH.

Ben

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 2:41 PM, RobL said:

even Model Factory Hiro cars aren't quite what I'd like.

Wow, not sure where to go with that.

@RobLIf you want reasonably affordable kits with plenty of detail in the box and scope to add more, then look for the Heller 1/24 Sports Prototypes and F1 cars. I've got the McLaren M7A, Lotus 49B and Brabham BT33, plus the Porsche 917, Ferrari 512 and Porsche 907/8, and there's a Ferrari P4 as well. They're not the easiest kits to build, but they've been round a while and finding other people's builds to learn about the challenges and how to avoid them is not so hard. Equally, if you can stretch your budget a bit, then the Ebbro 1/20 F1 car kits are fantastic, and can be had for around £50...

best,

M.