1/350 HMT Sir Gareth, Round Table class Admiralty Trawler

Starling Models' Round Table class trawler HMT Sir Gareth in 1/350 scale.

Eight Round Table class trawlers were built for the Royal Navy between the years 1941 and 1942, all by one of two shipyards in my home town of Aberdeen in the north east of Scotland. They were based on a 1936 trawler called Star of Orkney, and measured 125 feet long whilst they displaced just under 450 tons. They had a relatively large crew for a vessel this size of 35, and the vessels were all commissioned as minesweepers. They carried one 12 pounder anti-aircraft gun, 1 20mm Oerlikon and a pair of .303 machine guns.

b53411c5-4b55-4a69-80b0-716079bb5172.jpg

Hall, Russell & Co closed down in 1990.

f22c862f-0fa4-44f4-a8c4-cd29a29e8f57.jpg

The shed has now gone but the slipway remains. The site is now used by Dales Marine Services, an offshore logistics company supporting the oil & gas industry. Goods come and go by road and are loaded onto supply vessels.

resized_77e88af5-96ea-484b-bfa5-fdc801ad

resized_f95631b4-c5a4-4163-9df7-fe0705c9

His Majesty's Trawler Sir Gareth was launched 19th January 1942 and carried the pennant number T227.

Hmt_Sir_Gareth_FL19086.jpg

HMT Sir Gareth appears to be wearing a single colour scheme, which in 1942 could either be Admiralty Pattern 507A Home Fleet Grey, or possibly MS2. I don't like MS2 much, and in the bliss of ignorance otherwise, I will use Home Fleet Grey which I find a much more pleasing shade of grey.

The kit is, I believe, CAD designed and used 3D printed masters which have been used for cast resin parts. The kit costs approximately £55 from Starling Models which may appear a lot for such a small model, however the quality is exceptional and the kit is very complete indeed.

IMG_20200322_150718_-_Copy.jpg

I have thoroughly enjoyed this model and highly recommend it to the moderate or experienced modellers. Everything fits as it should. No scratchbuilding or improvisation skills are necessary but obviously it's a small model and a lot of the parts are small accordingly.

IMG_1000.png

IMG_1002.png

IMG_0999.png

IMG_0995.png

IMG_1004.png

IMG_1003.png

IMG_0998.png

IMG_1001.png

IMG_1005.png

Thank you for looking.

• Like 51
  • Thanks 1

An exquisite build and it's been a pleasure to follow your WIP to its conclusion.

There are a number of builds in progress at the moment which are highlighting the character that these "little ships" have which is not necessarily shared by their larger capital cousins.

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

Cracking Build and finish and Boy does that rigging really set it off!!!

Top-notch modelling skills

And I Love that plaque which really adds to the overall presentation B)

Rob

Glorious.  

In the early-90s I had the privilege of commanding HMS Blackwater, a River Class minesweeper (though in my case we were part of the Fisheries Protection Squadron - the RN’s oldest squadron).  She was a pretty similar size & ship’s company to Sir Gareth.  On one stand-off between patrols we went into Lowestoft, where she had been built - but also the wartime HQ (HMS Europa - known always as “Sparrow’s Nest”, apparently) of the wartime RNPS; Royal Navy Patrol Service, which were initially normal civilian trawlers requisitioned for use as minesweepers but manned by their original skippers and crew, with added RN weapons & signal ratings. The RNPS went on to operate over 1,600 vessels of all types.

I spent a humbling evening as the guest of some of these redoubtable old gentlemen in their club (which I understand is now a museum); one of them was sunk SIX TIMES and still went back for more.  We subsequently took half a dozen of then to sea for a few hours.

Amazingly brave men.

THIS is worth a read.  It seems my half-remembered numbers were way out: 1,600 was just the new builds!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cracking build there Jamie. Enjoyed watching the WIP, and now having read Crisp's link above, I can really appreciate the value of these little ships and their crews. Nice one indeed.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely beautiful, as Bangor Lad so rightly says a "little gem" a credit to your skills (and starling models for producing a kit of such an interesting subject), as an aside by sheer coincidence the photo of Hall Russell shows the Peacock class patrol vessel HMS Starling !!

• Thanks 1

I'm not a ship guy, Jamie, but I know a good model when I see one, and this is definitely one! Nice work on  the hull weathering, BTW. Bet she was no fun in rough seas!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1