Around the world in a Spitfire...G-IRTY 1/48 FINISHED!!

14 hours ago, Bill Livingston said:

This is REALLY impressive work. 

The decals works really well, the black looks fabulous, but the foiling is stunning. That is a LOT of very slow and very careful work.

Congratulations... I can I expect to see this at this years IMPS Nationals in Telford?

Thank you very much Bill, however I can not go to Telford....

I hope to show it on the Euroscalemodelling event in Houten the Netherlands!

@rob Lyttle much appreciated Rob 😎

That spinner is difficult as it can’t be done in one piece and is actually in eight pieces...so when you take a close look you will see some seems though it is difficult to see and won’t be noticed that much.

It will have to do though!
The BMF new improved chrome can be a pickle as the glue conformity is not consistent on most sheets ..

The ones (four sheets)that I had were having issues in one way or the other and given the price of the stuff I can do without the hassle 

So I am going to switch again to kitchen foil as I have found a perfect glue for it and is called Permacoll HA Size and works way better than Microscale foil adhesive...(did some experiments and I was impressed)

Here a picture of the fuel filler caps in position..

49994869697_4699df3f7b_z.jpg

@JeroenS Thank you 🙏 much appreciated, overall I am happy with the result so far😁

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Jan, Superb and, in terms of detail, I really like that spinner. Interesting comments on the BMF adhesive and the change back to kitchen foil. Ray 

• Like 1

Finally I had the whole aircraft in a clearcoat and I used Microscale gloss as it evens well and has almost no effect on the foil!(brush painted).

Did some decalling and even managed to get one decal distorted...the regi on the tail was the culprit..

I ended up making the last two letters from black stripe decal and though the regi is supposed to be black the black on the decal  is lighter as it is dot printed so it doesn’t show as a full black.

So I touched up the others as well with some black paint too make it more uniform(didn’t do that on the other side 😉)

The carrier film does show at certain angles 🙄 I have seen better carrier films wich don’t show up at all...enough is enough so i leave it as it is !

50044492143_1b00d828b2_b.jpg

50044492078_b76409a058_b.jpg

50045057086_726fcd2a74_b.jpg

The culprit decal.... I wanted to print one myself but my Corel draw crashed a few days ago and didn’t work ever since despite the Corel help desk giving me solutions...they are still on it  but if you consider buying the 2019 version please DON’T for your own sanity😁

Bought it in February used it once ...🥴

50045057046_58c4700a26_b.jpg

50045312917_9d1ba092b1_b.jpg

50045312857_36a7668ebe_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Cookenbacher said:

That looks amazing Jan.

Thank you 🙏 i must  confess I was almost loosing my sanity in the process as you are on the details and everything you mess up will show in the mind at least ten times bigger..

Thankfully the missus was impressed with how it looks on it’s feet...allready did a few things more 😉

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Looks great Jan. Decaling over foil has always been the one thing to stop me going ahead with this. Great recovery on the errant decal. 

• Like 1

Finally some pictures of the end product....

Exhaust staking is a bit much but it is difficult to see in artificial light on polished metal and lets call it artistic expression!

I did scuff it  a little to let it come alive..

The metal framing on the cockpit is mostly foil but I had to divert to allclad for the sliding part and I do think it blends in nicely.

There are alway spots where you loose some foil simply because you can’t get always a perfect cut or handling the thing damage the thin wing edges !

There is a simple solution for it , after the gloss clearcoat you simply spray allclad chrome on it and then it blends in perfectly

All the antenna that the real thing has are there and it was a painstaking project and I am glad I did build after seeing this magnificent aircraft taking in December in Lelystad for it’s last stretch home ..

It was a true hommage to British engineering😁 ( not that you wanna buy a reliant but hey everybody makes mistakes😉)

50050293366_e88015dccf_b.jpg

Did forgot to install the light on the underside😇

50050280631_07451b8262_b.jpg

50049711473_84e9ed5d0a_b.jpg

50050533772_36fdec0e20_b.jpg

50049717803_3ba146dc24_b.jpg

50049717463_53b3eb523f_b.jpg

50049723573_b75d77a913_b.jpg

50049717388_fbbec28e00_b.jpg

and the real thing. ....pictures taken myself...

49174712542_2cc2a3db8c_b.jpg

49174007168_7e116df516_b.jpg

Cheers, Jan

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Jan, that's a superb result on the Silver Spitfire. Congratulations ‼️

This finish really shows off the design and styling of the airframe in a way that drabs and camo finish never can. 

I ought to confess that I haven't totally finished mine. Like you, I had a bit of a scare with the very thin decals..... My moment was with one of the white IWC details on the black panel 😳

So I stopped with the nerves torn! 

MrDecal does great graphics, but all one piece of film, and so thin and flexible. 

You have now edged me towards taking another go at this final stage. 

Glad you got to see the plane as she passed through. I was hoping to visit Goodwood for a look but everything got locked down. The opportunity may come later in the year. 

Thanks for sharing a brilliant build 😎🏅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Jan.

Tricky build and your pointers, issues and solutions are very valuable - thanks for sharing. I know what you mean with the exhaust streaking on silver aircraft. I had the same issue with my A58-303. Interesting, only after it's dry do you see the full effect.  

I enjoyed watching this one come to together. 

Congratulations.

Ray

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the compliments gents this is much appreciated 😎

@alt-92 glad that those decals could help you , unfortunately they didn’t had these in 1/48

@rob Lyttle I love the Spit in bare metal it is a pity that you couldn’t see it in real, your compliment as metal master 😉is highly appreciated!
@Ray_W thank you for the appreciation of the T&P but I must confess that I learned a few things on this one as it was my second try at BMF ..

Next time I will do kitchen foil again but with Permacoll size HA https://noris-blattgold.de/permacoll?lang=en 

This is a special formulated glue for Imitation leaf gold and works very nice with kitchen foil and has the same adherence as BMF new improved chrome (stronger adhesion than ultra bright chrome)

In the end I did not had to fear tearing of the foil with tape after clearcoting it ...wel lessons learned and it is always easier talking about things in hind sight😁

cheers, Jan

• Like 2