Around the world in a Spitfire...G-IRTY 1/48 FINISHED!!

What can I tell, everybody knows that all familiar Silver bullet that raced around the world in 4 months ...

As I am Dutch I had a bond with that plane as I saw it too often in the Aviodrome museum in Lelystad.

My hart was a littlebit broken when I heard it was sold to the UK but that’s how it goes, you win some you lose some!

But then they anounced it to go around the world and my hart raced again and hoping to see it back in the Netherlands and it did😀

It did a honourful tribute in December when it visited the Aviodrome in what was to be the starting point for the last leg to Goodwood 👍🏼

https://www.silverspitfire.com/about/route-map/

49174492901_9f14398ef3_b.jpg

49173952858_bab51904d3_b.jpg

Now finally the plastic!

This is going to be from Eduard in a weekend edition box and XVI profiboxing, this boxing was needed for the top wing as it has two versions in the box and one is needed for the ease of conversion...

I am also going to use the profipack cockpit for this kit as it doesn’t really differ from the IX cockpit in Eduards case..

49763827186_cd0be6d922_b.jpg

From these wings I am going to use the lower one as it has the correct bulges for G-IRTY above the wheel well, I only need to get rid of the cannon blisters..

I figured that it was easier to remove these than adding the fiddly bits 🤔

49764199502_f75caa0c44_b.jpg

49763873721_97d2819380_b.jpg

Decals are provided by Modeldecal complete with a masking set..

49763288618_30c699f824_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 9

I didn’t used any paint for now during this build as did it my way and just prepped all the important sub assembly’s..

Against all instructions i did put the cockpit partially together to avoid paint in all those places wich could obstruct a correct fit...

This also can generate some problems but first did that cockpit and while partially glued together I placed the fuselage with tape together and did the cowlings upper and lower together ...

So in the end it should all fall together!🤔

49773378097_f0cfe9e9dc_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 7

The seat support was broken during cleanup lost it and the broken piece  lost was bellowed out by the carpet monster !!

Though I don’t have a carpet , there seems to hide something on my floor that eats anything..

Well finally I did some paint on the thing..and boy I am happy..

49773644216_0b5baf1e4c_b.jpg

49773131933_744f3a1c42_b.jpg

49773617748_29ee966c0b_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

You planning on doing the tank mod as well? :)

Yep I am going to do the tank mod, I think it was Rob Lyttle that did one and used a 1/72 cabin tank from the Williams Boeing 247.

When i saw that one I thought thank you Rob for paving the way as I had those tanks as well in my stash...

cheers, Jan

• Like 2

Well managed to do a lot of little things on Girty..

Those Eduard Spits have a lot of small parts and they fit together very well but you have to coutious especially with those radiators and the seat..

Girty has the head plate fitted behind the seat but not the armor plate so that was not installed as mine....

Tank modification is done and trial fitted, we don’t know how it looked exactly but what @rob Lyttle did in his Silver Spit met my idea as well so I did the same thing ( thank you for the ground work Rob)

I also did installed a new Garmin navigational aid that is connected to a I-pad above the main instrument panel!
Sounds interesting but it is nothing more than two flat black-grey squares on the panel and almost not to be seen🤪

The seat harness is a generic late spitfire one and I left off a few things too represent a more modern one..big chance that the color is wrong but i leave it as it is ..

I even was able to put three lead wires on to the control colom but left the rest untouched as it almost impossible to see...

The quality of the pics is not the best, but I hope it gives an idea..

49792250946_3815d1e6dd_b.jpg

49792250911_5448898cff_b.jpg

49792557837_8b8c31f94e_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 3

Eduard have crammed a lot of stuff in there and the fit has absolutely zero tolerance. 

So be ready for a bit of hassle when it comes to fitting the wing bottom up under the fuselage. 

The fairings joints are very finely moulded too, with a kind of interlocking detail on the edge 

• Like 1

Found some nice detail shots on this publicity shoot in Lelystad (the one with Humberto):

https://www.fratellowatches.com/event-report-iwc-silver-spitfire-longest-flight-amsterdam-stopover/

Seat harness, iPad, and landing gear detail.

Edited by alt-92
  • Like 1

Thanks @alt-92 I couldn’t find those ...so that created a problem for my AMS..and therefore i decided to revise the belts and tryed to place the bar ..

This created the problem that you should use another frame for those pe parts I had ! I altered it and decided to use the pe partially..

And how small are these 😱. Way too small but I pressed on and after a few hours and a few search and rescue missions further to find the pe that jumped though the whole house I had it in an acceptable manner installed I think!
I still needs to get a touch up but nothing problematic...

49793773187_2a3492488b_b.jpg

The tank is in it’s place and placed a fuel filler cap.

The fuel filler cap from Brengun US drop tank filler caps set..

Though it looked nice I altered it by adding a not needed piece of photoetch from the Eduard cockpit set .

I glued the cap on the glass with Revell contacta clear which is not aggressive to clear parts.

Now it looked more like the one on Girty..

49793773227_1bbcef1fc6_b.jpg

49793466971_affa217960_b.jpg

Thats It for today!

cheers, Jan

• Like 5

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Eduard have crammed a lot of stuff in there and the fit has absolutely zero tolerance. 

So be ready for a bit of hassle when it comes to fitting the wing bottom up under the fuselage. 

The fairings joints are very finely moulded too, with a kind of interlocking detail on the edge 

Hi Rob , i allready had this idea so during the construction I was constantly fitting the wing and fuselage and the other bits and bobs that need to go ono 🙄 everything looks promising so far..

cheers Jan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Thanks @alt-92 I couldn’t find those ...so that created a problem for my AMS..and therefore i decided to revise the belts and tryed to place the bar ..

This created the problem that you should use another frame for those pe parts I had ! I altered it and decided to use the pe partially..

And how small are these 😱. Way too small but I pressed on and after a few hours and a few search and rescue missions further to find the pe that jumped though the whole house I had it in an acceptable manner installed I think!
I still needs to get a touch up but nothing problematic...

49793773187_2a3492488b_b.jpg

:sorry:

Looks the part though! 

The rear fuel tank & cap are great touches. Not sure if I can pull that off in 1:72...

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

:sorry:

Looks the part though! 

The rear fuel tank & cap are great touches. Not sure if I can pull that off in 1:72...

Never mind I am still happy , thank you for your compliment😁

But maybe you can have the right filler cap as the Aviationmegastore has the exact fuel caps as on Girty as decal in 1/72 

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/filler-caps-and-markings--various-sizes-ad5507223-aeroporto-decales-72-ad5507223-vliegtuig-bouwmodel-transfers/product/?action=prodinfo&art=163860

And the dark one in the middle of picture is the right one, sadly they aren’t available in 1/48...

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Did some work last days and the most of it was just finetuning the putty that I needed at some places!

No fault of the fine Eduard kit but more needed for the mods I did on the wing.

I am going to use Bare Metal Foil on this one 😎 So it has to be smooth as a baby’s b.....m!

First a few pics of the cockpit that had a very light wash too enhance the shadows a bit.

This aircraft is so clean that a very heavy wheatering would be out of place.

And as I got some inspiration I added a few cables as they are on G-IRTY.

49811360072_e7044bca10_b.jpg

The seatbelts needed some touchups with paint as some of the prepainted paint came of  due to the bending..

49810532823_c8f3c6365f_b.jpg

Cannonblister removed, putty smoothened...my precious..

49810509983_36dd688a74_b.jpg

This one still needed some attention..

49811359402_cd84698423_b.jpg

Did the intake manifold in place and placed a plastic card behind the etched part..not to happy about that one ...

49810510928_b8ac1635b8_b.jpg

49811360457_047e3030fd_b.jpg

And then the wings went on, they needed a little persuasion on the aft end of the fairing but it came out quite alright ..

The overall fit is very good 👌

49810511148_e1fa196f8a_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 8

Nice job on the wing blisters! That looks real tidy 👍

49 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

I am going to use Bare Metal Foil on this one 😎

That's good news. 

Silver paint just isn't going to cut it for this one, is it Don't care how good it is. 

Cockpit is fantastic 

• Thanks 1

Almost finished finetuning the surface🥳 already did a base for the antiglarepanel .

That is important to do first because painting it after applying the foil would be a good recipe for a disaster as masking can cause the foil be torn loose when you remove the tape...

Still have to correct a small blemish on the right hand wing panel as  I came across it after applying a basecoat.

I also had had some riveting done on places were I lost the detail, for this I use the RB tools mini rivet-r.

As G-IRTY has a stylish rounded anti glare-panel I had to paint the panels evenly as every blemish or paint line shows under the foil.

In doing this it wil be easyer to foil that area..

49814661956_bbf0e46d7c_b.jpg

49814662111_ef3be2157c_b.jpg

49814662566_d913d2a2ac_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 3

@janneman36.... While I remember, Jan, check the various uc legs on kit, and also the legs that come with the post-war plane that is donating the wings with the blisters.

The wheel axle angle was changed to make the wheels more upright, to suit hard runways...... hence the need for more height in the wells. 

If Eduard have done this, then there should be legs with the axle angle rotated a bit. 

I had to redo mine after I figured it all out, which involved drilling and repairs ‼️

I know there are 3 sets of legs in the MkIX kit, but who knows how many you have with 2 Eduard boxes combined 😄

On 4/27/2020 at 12:52 AM, rob Lyttle said:

@janneman36.... While I remember, Jan, check the various uc legs on kit, and also the legs that come with the post-war plane that is donating the wings with the blisters.

The wheel axle angle was changed to make the wheels more upright, to suit hard runways...... hence the need for more height in the wells. 

If Eduard have done this, then there should be legs with the axle angle rotated a bit. 

I had to redo mine after I figured it all out, which involved drilling and repairs ‼️

I know there are 3 sets of legs in the MkIX kit, but who knows how many you have with 2 Eduard boxes combined 😄

Thank you for that @rob Lyttle I am going to check the XVI instructions on that particular wing!
It looks like Eduard has the same sprue for the undercarriage parts as the IX because they look exactly the same and there are three different legs on it.

First I planned using the regular legs from the IX instruction sheet but I could be better looking at the XVI instructions for that particular wing!

Again did Some small things but certain things take a lot of time..

First I tryed to make the forward center windscreen transparent blue but it kept attracting dust during the airbrush sessions and did it repeatedly over and over as it was an experiment..didn’t get the hang of it 🤨

I decided removing the clear blue paint from that glass as it wasn’t very visible as well except for the dust..thankfully I could clean it easily with the help of some Revell paint remover wich is great stuff as it doesn’t ruin the clear parts!

The clearparts I am going to use are aftermarket from Rob Taurus wich makes some fabulous clear vacform parts .

These canopy’s are crystal clear and do have a great fit and are highly recommended..

I also have this first clearpart glued with a UV crystal clear drying glue which I bought on e-bay and I do think that is great stuff..

Please don’t use this in full sunlight as it cures faster, I lay the tube directly under a cloth during glueing and it that way I don’t have to try to close it and glueing at the same time. 

I also did a bit of a putty and sanding correction on the nose panel as it was a little out of shape after sanding but I only did noticed it after the paint had dried and looked and looked in certain angles a bit off.

the glue .

49822856328_e638f69266_b.jpg

the panel and windscreen.

49823387301_2545a3a09c_b.jpg

49823387161_085a9aef56_b.jpg

Here are the legs and reskit wheels with the correct thread I am using .

This also required the legs to be altered with different axles...

I am going to look into what Rob pointed out on those legs so these wil be probably altered as wel .

49822860308_a2e2cc3d61_b.jpg

cheers, Jan

• Like 1