Tamiya 1/48 Razorback P-47 - Snafu

Hey all,

Hope you're all keeping sane-(ish) in lockdown!

Here's my latest finish, Tamiya's excellent quarter-scale 'bolt finished with Thunder-cals new ETO set for all things thunderbolt, otherwise the only additions made were in purchasing Eduard's LooK set which include both an instrument panel and a set of their steel seatbelts.

The aircraft was painted with Mr. Colour acrylics and finished as 'Snafu' as based at RAF Duxford.

DSCN0150.jpg

DSCN0149.jpg

DSCN0151.jpg

DSCN0158.jpg

DSCN0157.jpg

DSCN0152.jpg

Many thanks for looking!

Sam

Edited by The_Lancaster
Shuffled around a few pics
  • Like 56
  • Thanks 3

Excellent! The checkerboard looks particularly great - I remember how difficult it was to get this lined-up properly .

• Like 2

Wow, thar's just excellent ! I've always preferred the Razorback version, and the weathering is really superb as well . thanks for sharing. :cheers:    

• Like 1

Superb finish.

I see you employed the Mr Colour acrylics, but how did you achieve the weathered look so convincingly?

Were they diluted or whatever to obtain that faded effect so well?

Michael

• Like 1

This is a great model!  Well Done!  You are inspiring me to do a P47!  Thats an outstanding job on the faded olive drab!  Can you tell us how you did it?  Colors Used?

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 5:56 AM, Michael51 said:

Superb finish.

I see you employed the Mr Colour acrylics, but how did you achieve the weathered look so convincingly?

Were they diluted or whatever to obtain that faded effect so well?

Michael

On 4/16/2020 at 2:24 PM, Tokyo Raider said:

This is a great model!  Well Done!  You are inspiring me to do a P47!  Thats an outstanding job on the faded olive drab!  Can you tell us how you did it?  Colors Used?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys!

For the olive drab I laid down a simple pre-shade of black around the panel lines before lightly going over with Mr Colour H52 Olive drab. After this I then mixed white in with the olive drab and thinned it a bit more than I would’ve normally. Then at a low pressure on my airbrush I started in the centre of each panel and worked my way out towards the edge careful not to go over the darker areas created by pre-shading. The result was quite stark at first but after some further weathering with raw umber oil paint amongst other tones it blended down quite nicely

Sam 

• Like 2