Sir Stirling Moss 1929-2020

Sabrejet

Another British “great” gone.  I think he does deserve the unofficial title of the worlds best “all round” racing driver with his number of wins in all sorts of motor sport. 

I vaguely recall a story about him being told by some guests (Hollywood actor I think) on a chat show (possibly Parkinson) about him. He was driving them on a US highway and as they had been chatting the actor had almost missed the call off the freeway. It was very late and he expected a drive to the next off ramp miles away but the actor said something to the effect Oh we have missed it. Sir Stirling then slid the car using brakes across the two inside lanes and down the off ramp without a blink or hesitation in conversation. As if that wasn’t enough the music tape stopped half way through this exercise and without any fuss he put his hand over, ejected the tape cassette, turned it over and played the other side all in one fluid unhurried movement as if it was as natural as drawing breath. 

• Like 2

My Grand Prix obsessed son has just mentioned this to me as well. We are both too young in age to have seen him race, however his legend continued well past his driving years and we are both saddened to hear of his loss. May he Rest In Peace. 

Cheers.. Dave (and Joe).

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Just read this. The UK's - and possibly the world's - greatest racing driver. Very, very sorely missed already.

Or - Moss was widely considered the greatest driver never to win a Formula One World Championship.

If the F1 season was actually active we would doubtless see a lot of tributes from all the current 'greats'.  He was, up until recently, a regular at many events & always willing to chat with the press & commentator pack.

An outstanding man - RIP Stirling.

e006ca6c030b65bbb436c0a950ed4b98--baron-

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

About 4 or5 years ago he was a guest at RaceRetro and he was making his way to the interview stage , on his mobility scooter , to huge applause. He passed right by my brother and me . Couldn’t believe a proper old fashioned true legend was so close to us . R.I.P Stirling . 
 Gary . 

• Like 2

pA very sad loss and gone largely unremarked due to the avalanche of death around us. RIP Sir Stirling

Sir Stirling and Lewis, two historic Mercedes racing cars on the Parabolica at Monza, you won't spend a better 15 minutes.

It seems odd that there isn't a good model to be had of the Mercedes 300SLR "722" that Stirling won the Mille Miglia in. The only model I can find is the venerable Monogram 1/24 model which is rare and (if my experience of Monogram kits is anything to go by) likely to be inaccurate and poorly designed? Pity.

• Like 1

I showed this car in the what is your latest purchase thread.It's  not a Revell one I didn't know they made one,this is a 1/24 metal kit. Looks like I put in the wrong thread now,but I'm quite new here. Chris. R.I.P. Stirling