1:48 Airfix Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

49764255567_8b21247887.jpg

For my next build I’m going to attempt Airfix’s “new(ish)”, 2018, Hawker Sea Fury FB.11. I’ve recently built the Eduard Typhoon and thought they could sit happily next to each other?

Here’s the evocative box-art

49763401783_4bcfac65b3_c.jpg

Out of the box there are a couple of schemes that you could choose from either an aircraft from No.801 Naval Air Squadron HMS Glory (Korean War 1952) or a ‘restored’ version of No.802 Naval Air Squadron based at Eglington Northern Ireland 1948, now operated by the Royal Naval Historic Flight out of Yeovilton (2017).

For some time I’ve wanted to do an extra dark sea grey and sky scheme and I’ve decided to go with the Korean War version as it’ll allow me to make here look a little “used” rather than a pristine “show” example.

49763933361_43edf716f0_c.jpg

In the couple of reviews I’ve read they both suggest that the decals are too thick, so I’ve opted for the Montex mask set  MXMM48477. This strikes me as being odd, after all the decals are supplied by Cartograf

49763933321_4d4f8884e1_c.jpg

The only other “after market” is the Eduard steel seat belts, I’ve read good things about the “steel” seat belts but not used them before.

49763933336_dd18d339fe_w.jpg

Also in the reviews the canopy is mentioned as having fit issues, if that is the case I’ll get the Falcon vacform option if it looks too bad however I’m a little reluctant as this costs over half the amount I paid for the kit, plus I’ve never used any vacform.

Examining the kit it looks as if I’ve got one of the short shot starboard vertical fin leading edge, it doesn’t look too bad and I should be able to “fix” it with some putty once the fuselage is joined, I hope.

As normal I’ll be starting with the cockpit.

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 10

You'll enjoy this kit John - it's a good 'un. Having built a couple, I thought the decals were good and the fit of the canopy was fine too (I did one open and one closed). The fix of the short shot fin is, as you say, straightforward (if annoying in that it shouldn't be there at all!) The Eduard seatbelts look exactly the same to me as their usual "RAF" type, but seem to be about three times the price (yes, I bought them too!) The one area I would suggest needs some care is assembling the cowling - the two semi-circular sections, when assembled, do have a slightly different (smaller) circumference to the two rings that attach either side - but I found that taking my time and some very gentle sanding resulted in a perfectly acceptable result. 

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers,

Nick.

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Nickthebrief said:

You'll enjoy this kit John - it's a good 'un. Having built a couple, I thought the decals were good and the fit of the canopy was fine too (I did one open and one closed). The fix of the short shot fin is, as you say, straightforward (if annoying in that it shouldn't be there at all!) The Eduard seatbelts look exactly the same to me as their usual "RAF" type, but seem to be about three times the price (yes, I bought them too!) The one area I would suggest needs some care is assembling the cowling - the two semi-circular sections, when assembled, do have a slightly different (smaller) circumference to the two rings that attach either side - but I found that taking my time and some very gentle sanding resulted in a perfectly acceptable result. 

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress!

Cheers,

Nick.

thanks for the tip on the cowling Nick

as you'll see from my next log/rant I'm disappointed with Airfix, still I'm sure they saved a couple of shillings stream-lining the Quality Control department so the bean-counters will treat it as a win, after all nobody takes this model making lark seriously do they!?

rgds

John(shortCummins)

49763895453_688ac8b47c.jpg

Sorry to start this build log with a windge but I thought I’d point out a couple of “short shots” that I’ve found on opening the plastic bag.

I’d read that some of the ‘early?’ kits had shipped with a malformed starboard vertical fin leading edge, and sure enough my kit has this.

49764753337_9159bda53a_c.jpg

49764753317_b7979c63d0_c.jpg

In truth it doesn't look too bad and should be reasonably easy to “fix” once the fuselage halves are joined, I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough.

However, there’s another sprue with a malformed part.

49763895553_62f6d226c1_c.jpg

49763895498_3d90fdaafb_c.jpg

This is one of the optional under-wing fuel tanks, in effect this means that I can’t build the aircraft with the larger tanks, I’ll have to choose either the smaller tanks or a fuel tank and the camera pod.

I know its not a build-busting issue but I’d hoped that a company with Airfix’s reputation would have got a handle on quality control!?

I’m sure that if I contacted Airfix they would send replacement parts…. eventually, but I’m impatient, I want to start the build now.

These issues will cause me to think twice when buying another Airfix kit, I very much doubt I’ll be getting their 1:48 Tiger Moth, it’s a shame as Airfix were a big part of my modelling youth.

As normal I’ll be starting with the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

I'm sorry to hear of frustration with the kit John - I think the very early releases were the worst...

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules if I post a link to my build on my club website (?): https://ipmssalisbury.co.uk/club-stuff/build-articles/airfixs-1-48-sea-fury/

You will see (the pictures aren't brilliant) my fix for the tail. If you email me I'll happily send you drop tank parts - I didn't fit them to either of mine so have loads!

Whilst on the more frustrating side of this kit, the cockpit does lack the rather prominent gun sight and the padded headrest (as well as a pilot...)

But persevere - it does build into a good model of a fabulous aircraft!

Cheers,

Nick.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Nickthebrief said:

I'm sorry to hear of frustration with the kit John - I think the very early releases were the worst...

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules if I post a link to my build on my club website (?): https://ipmssalisbury.co.uk/club-stuff/build-articles/airfixs-1-48-sea-fury/

You will see (the pictures aren't brilliant) my fix for the tail. If you email me I'll happily send you drop tank parts - I didn't fit them to either of mine so have loads!

Whilst on the more frustrating side of this kit, the cockpit does lack the rather prominent gun sight and the padded headrest (as well as a pilot...)

But persevere - it does build into a good model of a fabulous aircraft!

Cheers,

Nick.

thanks Nick

I've just finished a frustrating build, the Airfix EE Lightening and my mojo is at a low ebb so getting these short-shots is a bit of a kick in the obstacles, these aren't big problems really their minor irritations, I just could have done without them at this time.

Your build looks really good so I'll use it as what can be achieved 👍 if I stop muttering to myself and learn to enjoy the process!

Honestly I'm not 'normally' such a mardy so and so, honest just don't ask my kids 🤪 

your interest and support is really appreciated 

best rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rob K. said:

I will follow this build. I am interested in the export version of the kit, it is on my wishlist of items to build. (So please keep on going........)

Rgds,

Rob

from my initial look at the kit it looks to be very nice, dry fitting the fuselage it should go together like a dream (famous last words) as the 'export version' is a later pressing, is that the correct term?, I'm sure Airfix will have sorted out the short-shot issues.

Some of the cockpit detail is very good, the IP and joystick/control column are first rate, have a look at Nickthebrief's build and you'll see how it well can be built.

rgds

John(shortCummins) 

• Like 1

49764134358_959cd05ded.jpg

Finding any decent cockpit photos wasn’t as easy as I’d imagined, I did find an excellent walk-around by Mark Mills that I’m sure I’ll use heavily for reference throughout this build…

http://www.carrierbuilders.net/articles/20050525_Sea_Fury_WA/20050525_Sea_Fury_WA.htm

If you’re reading this Mark many thanks. 👍

So to the office, various bits’n’pieces were identified and cleaned up in preparation for paint and given a coat of my favourite primer black UMP/Stynylrez.

49767863403_109ef6e444_c.jpg

49768723172_682146cc13_c.jpg

Quite nice details here.

49767863348_8bb59d679b_c.jpg

Seat is "so so", Airfix don't supply any seat harness, not even decal versions as Tamiya do, the Eduard PE belts should dress it ups a bit.

49768397106_69b6d15b18_c.jpg

Side wall detail is nice, the joystick/control column is first rate.

49768397096_ef0dd871ef_c.jpg

I also like the IP, Airfix also supply multiple decals (not just one big one) so it’ll be down to me to mess it up.

49768723077_db79d4b6c3_c.jpg

Strange looking foot pedals, they look more like stubs!?

49767863273_0ba47beeb7_c.jpg

Good detail on the firewall/bulkhead, not sure how much of it will be seen?

49768723022_557f006320_c.jpg

I’ve found another ‘short shot’.

49768397206_6c6b4bcc07_c.jpg

As the cockpit is mainly black on black I’ll be using several ‘shades’ of black and grey to paint and detail it.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 2

49768722997_5a911829b7.jpg

So the cockpit is black on black so some ‘artistic licence’ is called for, I’ll be using various shades of black and grey to paint it.

To start I want to depict some wear and tear, this after all was an operational aircraft flying off an aircraft carrier during the Korean War and therefor wouldn’t be in ‘pristine’ condition, so I gave the cockpit floor a coat of Xtreme metal AK479 aluminium.

49768089773_2525fc3e6a_c.jpg

You’ll notice where I scraped away the ejector pin marks toward the rear of the cockpit floor, this should be covered by the pilots seat?

Once the paint had dried I applied a quick coat of hairspray, and then a coat of XF-69 NATO black, the XF-69 is still wet in this photo.

49768886856_b8a8c304bc_c.jpg

I then used various implements, paint stirrer, tooth picks, stipple brush etc. to remove the XF-69 and give the impression of footwear and general usage?

49769050911_519e394d9a_c.jpg

The rudder pedals were given a squirt of AK479 and Mr Masking Sol  applied with a tooth pick…

49768886891_5588771734_c.jpg

…and then a coat of XF-69, once that had dried the masking fluid was removed.

49769375842_22fb3342db_c.jpg

Also the engine firewall/bulkhead was also given a coat of the aluminium

49768622081_bf14d31b2d_c.jpg

Next I’ll be tackling the instrument panel.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 5

I pre ordered this as soon as it was announced and never started it for the exact reasons you have outlined above. Will follow to see how you do the necessary fixes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

I pre ordered this as soon as it was announced and never started it for the exact reasons you have outlined above. Will follow to see how you do the necessary fixes.

Richie, on past experience I wouldn't rely on me 😜

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

49769050871_e500d099c5.jpg

I decided to paint the instrument panel with a couple of different shades.

The outer sections were masked and the centre section given a coat of XF-69 NATO black.

49768530103_8091496de8_c.jpg

Next the outside sections were given a coat of Tamiya XF-24 dark grey.

49768654988_227667ed11_c.jpg

The ‘panels’ were then brush painted with Alkan black-grey.

49768855988_d103e970ef_c.jpg

Also I brush painted a panel/block with vallejo model color 70.814 burnt red

Then I gave them a coat of someone’s magic acrylic wash, here’s a link to his YouTube video on how and why he uses it…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pRyuCKu_VU

This is what the IP looks like after I applied the acrylic wash…

49769680466_01dd5161cb_c.jpg

Just for reference here’s how I made my version of someone’s wash:

Equal parts water and Alclad aqua gloss and 3 drop of Tamiya XF-85 rubber black.

Airfix supply the decals for the instruments in 6 parts, so much better than one ‘big’ one.

49770045667_c04c621688_m.jpg

Nearly all of the decals settled down nicely with just a little micro sol, the exception being the top left dial.

When they’d dried a dab of aqua gloss hopefully gives the suggestion of glass.

49772589046_238ce159b3_c.jpg

Next I’ll be finishing the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

Hi John,

looks good so far. I bought the same kit but the ‘export’ version with different decals a few months ago. I was apprehensive as I had read about the short shot parts. Luckily I didn’t get it on the tail fin. Although now you’ve noticed the same problem on other parts I shall have to reinspect the sprues. 

Cracking job with the cockpit so far and I look forward to seeing you build this one. 

Ash

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doccur said:

Hi John,

looks good so far. I bought the same kit but the ‘export’ version with different decals a few months ago. I was apprehensive as I had read about the short shot parts. Luckily I didn’t get it on the tail fin. Although now you’ve noticed the same problem on other parts I shall have to reinspect the sprues. 

Cracking job with the cockpit so far and I look forward to seeing you build this one. 

Ash

I think I have been unlucky as the short shot parts are on two sprues, sprue B fuselage and sprue C drop tank and landing gear.

rgds

John(shortCummins) 

• Like 1

49772917652_e828e213dc.jpg

The firewall/bulkhead was given a coat of the acrylic wash bring out the details.

49772075378_808514d7fa_c.jpg

The headrest and seat support was also treated with the acrylic wash.

49772608516_2aeb5954d4_c.jpg

Extra scratches and wear was applied to the headrest with a Prismacolor silver pencil.

49772660726_1b49aa3e7c_c.jpg

Sidewall details were picked out with Alkan black-grey, Mr Hobby H52 olive drab and vallejo 70.814 burnt red.

49772608496_88c2edfdeb_c.jpg

Another acrylic wash was applied to the seat after the cushion had been painted with Tamiya XF-49 khaki.

49772937447_e48d431b35_c.jpg

Extra scratches were added to the seat with the Prismacolor pencil.

49772660686_a971267f75_c.jpg

Mark Mills walk around show the the trim wheel? and joystick/control column fixings are a red/brown colour so I have been picked these with 70.814 burnt red.

49772988772_06022efb97_c.jpg

Thanks to Mark once again for his photographs.

http://www.carrierbuilders.net/articles/20050525_Sea_Fury_WA/20050525_Sea_Fury_WA.htm

Next up I’ll be nailing all these pieces together.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 5

49773605557_bbcf2e79aa.jpg

The firewall/engine firewall, rudder pedals, instrument panel and joystick/control column were all glued together.

49773277566_f860852f7a_c.jpg

49773277546_83cf408cc2_c.jpg

The seat fixed to its mounting…

49773605847_40988c7f95_c.jpg

…and the Eduard PE seat harness superglued in place.

49772746223_0c9214c34c_c.jpg

Having used other Eduard PE previously I must say that these ‘steel’ versions are easier to work with, i.e. they bend easier.

The seat sub-assembly attached to the cockpit floor.

49773605812_7316c5bd9b_c.jpg

49773277456_5da05070d5_c.jpg

Next the ‘side-walls’ were fixed in place.

49773605742_230093ac87_c.jpg

Then the cockpit was glued into the fuselage side.

49772746153_80902b7558_c.jpg

49773277386_b6dc66450f_c.jpg

49773277356_636812deea_c.jpg

The rear landing gear wheel well and wing spar were given a coat of Tamiya XF-4 yellow green and the two fuselage halves glued.

49773605642_fffe06b2b6_c.jpg

49772746063_238a9580b4_c.jpg

Here you can see the extent of the short shot…

49773605562_8f375e8003_c.jpg

…I’ll have to deal with this before too long.

Up next will be the main wheel wells and inner part of the wing.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 7

I built one of these about a year back and had exactly the same short shot parts.

Apart from this and the iffy fit of the cowling I found it a straightforward build.

Replacement cowlings are available from Aerocraft and Barracuda, gunsights from various sources.

The cockpit looks fantastic John - lovely work.

Just to confirm what others have said - my "Export" version had no short shot parts - I think the quality control issues were resolved by then.

I did try the Airocraft replacement cowling on my second build - but found it was slightly small in circumference for the fuselage - resulting in a step that would have meant filling and sanding the painted plastic. In the end I went back to the kit parts... I haven't tried the Barracuda one though.

Keep up the good work!

Nick.

Watching this build with interest. I have one in my stash.....actually it IS my stash. I'm planning on doing it as a Korean War 802Sqn machine and hope to present it to an old 802 Sea Fury pilot who shares a care home with my Father-in-law, if we're all spared...

Great start to the build.....taking notes here, hope you don't mind.

Q

• Like 3

On 4/13/2020 at 8:08 PM, shortCummins said:

Finding any decent cockpit photos wasn’t as easy as I’d imagined,

I had an idea Steve (Navy870) had some somewhere? I'm sure he can help you out if you get stuck as he has one in his shed which used to run before they allowed housing to be build next door.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

Watching this build with interest. I have one in my stash.....actually it IS my stash. I'm planning on doing it as a Korean War 802Sqn machine and hope to present it to an old 802 Sea Fury pilot who shares a care home with my Father-in-law, if we're all spared...

that's a really nice idea

rgds

John(shortCummins)

8 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I had an idea Steve (Navy870) had some somewhere? I'm sure he can help you out if you get stuck as he has one in his shed which used to run before they allowed housing to be build next door.

thanks Rob, I've finished with the cockpit on this build but if I decide to do it again...

rgds

John(shortCummins)