Mk.A Whippet. Meng 1/35

This is the Mk.A Whippet from Meng.

It was built a little while back but after an accident it sat around awaiting repair.

It is a lovely kit to build with no issues.

I painted it with my own mix of Tamiya paints although I think I may have gone a little too green.

It has been weathered with oils but I haven't applied any mud effects yet as I will probably put it in a small diorama.

ReyR8EX.jpg

V30WoST.jpg

ZK9hAVJ.jpg

cv78Tgs.jpg

SpV0jwg.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Gorgeous model 😍  I wouldn't worry too much about the green, unless someone can show you a perfect colour photo from WW1 who is to say your green isn't right?  

• Like 2

Outstanding ! This is a style and standard of build I'd love to achieve (wishfull thinking).

I've been eyeing one of these up to go behind my WnW aircraft.  It's a typically quirky and interesting looking WWI piece.

Cheers :worthy:

Gaz

Nice RSV as well !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nev said:

Gorgeous model 😍  I wouldn't worry too much about the green, unless someone can show you a perfect colour photo from WW1 who is to say your green isn't right?  

Thanks Nev.

I know, it's more of a personal preference of other completed examples.

4 hours ago, Duckwizard said:

Very nice! I am also building a Whippet currently, the one from Takom. I hope it will look half as good as yours.

Thank you very much!

I looked at the Takom one after building their Mk.I female, but decided on the Meng for reasons I can't remember. I'm sure yours will turn out just fine.

Are you posting a work in progress as it would be interesting to see how the Takom kit compares.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

Outstanding ! This is a style and standard of build I'd love to achieve (wishfull thinking).

I've been eyeing one of these up to go behind my WnW aircraft.  It's a typically quirky and interesting looking WWI piece.

Cheers :worthy:

Gaz

Nice RSV as well !

Thanks Gaz!

That was one of those builds where I tried out a few different techniques mostly in the way I used oils and pastles. I do use them  in a more restrained way on my aircraft builds but here I could go to town.

My main interest is WW1 aircraft and I am so tempted to build a WNW's kit but long ago I started on a collection of 1/48 aircraft. I switch to British 1/35th armour for a break and to give my eyes a rest.

Cheers Wayne.

Ps. Sadly the Mille is long gone. Maybe next year I will get another bike. RSV4. 😁

That's great! Really good finish. I've got the Takom version built and ready for painting - gonna learn some lessons from yours!

Bandit1250

- great bike too!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Thanks Gaz!

That was one of those builds where I tried out a few different techniques mostly in the way I used oils and pastles. I do use them  in a more restrained way on my aircraft builds but here I could go to town.

My main interest is WW1 aircraft and I am so tempted to build a WNW's kit but long ago I started on a collection of 1/48 aircraft. I switch to British 1/35th armour for a break and to give my eyes a rest.

Cheers Wayne.

Ps. Sadly the Mille is long gone. Maybe next year I will get another bike. RSV4. 😁

I think it looks like I should go back and try oils again ;).  I experimented with the water soluble stuff on the Matilda while clinging to the comfort blanket of it being easily removable if I got it too wrong.  Many ways to skin a cat I guess, and it's fun to try one's hand at different methods.  As John said above, your tracks and other bare metal parts are a standout, along with the finish on the wooden blocks.

I know what you mean about giving your eyes a rest; my tankfest is a break from my first attempt at a 1/350 ship where pretty much everything is being done under a magnifier. :blink2:

RSV4 - go for it ! I was looking at a V4 Tuono the other week. Fantastic bike, it's Italian, but not red though. ;)

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

That's really nice.

As for colour, no-one actually knows what the true colours were for WW1 as there was no codification and as far as I've been able to discover none of the British pigment mixing recipes have survived. In any case there would have been variation in the batch mixes at the same factory and between factories. Pre-mixed manufactured canned paint was only just available for WW2.

Paints of the period were what we would today call satin finish, which you've captured nicely. Again, true matt and gloss were innovations of the 1930s.

• Thanks 1

On 12/04/2020 at 13:05, Bullbasket said:

That is really first class. I especially like the tracks and the exhausts.

John.

21 hours ago, kiwitrogg said:

I think it looks like I should go back and try oils again ;).  I experimented with the water soluble stuff on the Matilda while clinging to the comfort blanket of it being easily removable if I got it too wrong.  Many ways to skin a cat I guess, and it's fun to try one's hand at different methods.  As John said above, your tracks and other bare metal parts are a standout, along with the finish on the wooden blocks.

I know what you mean about giving your eyes a rest; my tankfest is a break from my first attempt at a 1/350 ship where pretty much everything is being done under a magnifier. :blink2:

RSV4 - go for it ! I was looking at a V4 Tuono the other week. Fantastic bike, it's Italian, but not red though. ;)

Cheers

Gaz

Thank you very much John.

The finish on the tracks was one of those happy accidents I guess. I had used a rust colour wash before I burnished them with graphite but as the tracks were laid flat I couldn't really get to the area where the plates overlap. 

I use a combination of oils, enamels and water based products to achieve different effects Gaz. Like you have done I just experiment with different mediums until I get an effect that I'm happy with.

• Like 3

On 12/04/2020 at 16:04, Ernst said:

Very well done, stunning results with just paints and oils. Love the contrast on those panels on the lower back hull. Cool typeface of the decals.

Cheers,

Ernst

Thank you very much Ernst!

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 22:19, Bandit1250 said:

That's great! Really good finish. I've got the Takom version built and ready for painting - gonna learn some lessons from yours!

Bandit1250

- great bike too!

Thanks Bandit1250!

That's great, I pretty much did the same by looking around on the internet for inspiration. 

Wayne 

22 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

That's really nice.

As for colour, no-one actually knows what the true colours were for WW1 as there was no codification and as far as I've been able to discover none of the British pigment mixing recipes have survived. In any case there would have been variation in the batch mixes at the same factory and between factories. Pre-mixed manufactured canned paint was only just available for WW2.

Paints of the period were what we would today call satin finish, which you've captured nicely. Again, true matt and gloss were innovations of the 1930s.

Thank you very much!

That's interesting information. I have a Takom Mk.I that although painted is awaiting some finishing touches. My understanding is that the Mk.Is left the factory in grey paint and that the camouflage was applied in France. Would I be correct in assuming then that these would also have a satin finish to them?

Wayne.

Yes to satin finish as that was a factor of the linseed oil base.

As for colour of Mk Is, maybe not so. Mk Is were built by Fosters and (mostly) BRCW. I understand that Bovington archives have discovered that Fosters tanks left the factory in their commercial Brunswick Green finish as the contract failed to specify a colour and they had the means to mix that. I heard a talk by Dick Taylor a couple of years ago in which he postulated that the Solomon colours were not applied on the roof or inside the rear horns as those areas would not be seen. But he also mentioned grey as the base colour.

After Solomon and the realisation that mud and silhouette rendered it useless, we see the colour Service Brown or just Service Colour being used in documents. But Service Colour is also interpreted to be a greeny-brown "khaki" (a colour with a zillion different interpretations!) probably not dissimilar to the Khaki Green No3 of early WW2.

6 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Yes to satin finish as that was a factor of the linseed oil base.

As for colour of Mk Is, maybe not so. Mk Is were built by Fosters and (mostly) BRCW. I understand that Bovington archives have discovered that Fosters tanks left the factory in their commercial Brunswick Green finish as the contract failed to specify a colour and they had the means to mix that. I heard a talk by Dick Taylor a couple of years ago in which he postulated that the Solomon colours were not applied on the roof or inside the rear horns as those areas would not be seen. But he also mentioned grey as the base colour.

After Solomon and the realisation that mud and silhouette rendered it useless, we see the colour Service Brown or just Service Colour being used in documents. But Service Colour is also interpreted to be a greeny-brown "khaki" (a colour with a zillion different interpretations!) probably not dissimilar to the Khaki Green No3 of early WW2.

Thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to give me the information.

So on that basis do you think I should repaint the roof, rear, steering wheels and possibly the grenade screen in green?

U84pMcc.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That is so good I would most definitely leave it alone!!  The suggestion of parts being left grey was just a theory as far as I know, rather than definite fact.  Roofs are rarely seen and rear views are inconclusive.  But it is not without some logic.

No-one knows exactly what the Solomon colours were either.  Those were applied at Central Workshops, not at factories. It is entirely plausible that the ingredients were sourced in France.  Such colours would not have been in the supply inventory of the day as nothing the Army had would have been painted such colours. It is also plausible that Solomon J Solomon used his knowledge of the art supply world to arrange the supply of the ingredients for his colours from the UK.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Clogged said:

Really amazing painting!  Obviously a lot of love and care went in to that. Was the wood effect painted in oils?

Thank you very much!

It's often more challenging to make single colour models look interesting but realistic in appearence, so hopefully I've got the balance right with this one.

It's probably not as much effort as you think, most of it is done by applying different filters and washes with heavily thinned paints and using oils.

Yes I did use oil paints to get the wood effect, and graphite from a pencil for the metal areas.

Wayne.

• Like 1