D.H.C.-2 Beaver colour advice please

Black Knight

I'm just starting to build the Airfix 1/72 DHC-2 Beaver.

I'll be doing it as used by the British Army in Ulster, circa 1970s

Advice on the interior colours please. I mainly use Humbrol paints. 

As far as I can see all metal surfaces were a mid-grey, slightly on the darker side, like Humbrol 27. Does this sound about right?

What about any cushions or soft fittings or seat belts?

Roof of the cockpit cabin: plain metal or padded? colours?

Prop tips. Were they red/white/red or something else?

Thanks for any help

Fred

• 1 year later...

Can I recommend you search face book for the Historic Army Aircraft Flight (HAAF). One of the engineering team is a keen photographer and modeller and has populated the site with walk round photos of the flight's aircraft showing details of the exterior and interior taken during normal ops and during servicing (so there are also photos of areas usually hidden).

Further the Black Knights post, the light grey sides  (door panels) are likely to be bare alloy, the floor is brown phenolic composite and the insulation/lining is tan/light brown. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Presuming you are still looking for phots I was the chap doing the walk rounds at Wallop with the HAAF.

I have a shed load of images of XP820, many with panels off and strip down. As aeronut has pointed out many colours I won’t push it.

The seat cushions are a dirty yellow (waterproof and kapok filled as they floated). Usual sheepskin seat pads. Cockpit basically silver apart from the console and centre console which are dark grey.

Seat frames silver and some of the internals (basically the rear from the window down) was protected by a textured stainless sheeting.

Sound proofing is an odd pale chocolate colour...

Contrary to an earlier post the external colours were standard dark green and black with the tip tank caps in red.

Check your references as the later AL1s had different antenna to the earlier cabs, and they all had a large white jettisonable locating beacon on the rear right of the roof.

Props Red/White/Red but without looking I cannot remember whether the rear surfaces had plain yellow or not.

All were available on the HAAF Facebook page....the only permissions they have is to delete😉

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/12/2022 at 21:09, HAAFPhot said:

Presuming you are still looking for phots I was the chap doing the walk rounds at Wallop with the HAAF.

I have a shed load of images of XP820, many with panels off and strip down. As aeronut has pointed out many colours I won’t push it.

Hi,

Any chance you can share those with us so I can put up in the walkaround section?

Thx

Julien

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/01/2023 at 13:36, Julien said:

Hi,

Any chance you can share those with us so I can put up in the walkaround section?

Thx

Julien

Sadly I dont have an account to be able to share them. If you drop me an email address I may be able to we transfer the images for you to host. I took shed loads over the few years I was with the HAAF

On 07/01/2023 at 17:52, Evalman said:

These may help a bit. AAC Historic Flt Beaver. 2012. 

8203406654_8c4051dd94_b.jpg

8203407252_549b307257_b.jpg

slept in those 2, hung out of that door and shared some time in the cramped bit with GBA. A real beauty.