Airfix (reboxed Aoshima) MG B

This is Aoshima's curbside 1:24 MG B, as reboxed in the past by Airfix which is the one I had.  I think Revell have also offered this kit, and Aoshima have recently re-issued it again.  I started this sometime in 2009, but it wasn't completed until the summer of 2010, due to the ongoing problem of too many projects at once, and my work desk being an utter tip at that time.  This one was built entirely out of the box, except for BMF being used for the chrome trims along the flanks and for the windscreen frame (the screen, quarterlights and frame was a one piece clear molding).  I think I may have used an aluminium effect BMF so that the screen frame wasn't too bright, as the real thing is polished alloy, rather than chrome.

y4mKcu91vWu1jWICDSEHrg8BlOBItfyaDHdFhMPC

y4mIypqC0EdwblsEJP7fYsD67RDQ7SaRY4BbY2GQ

y4mlfnH12MmxTm5CfYb4b3Z3QoitwQCn7CS_DtQk

y4mJuM4gIJDdCxhiJ5mMAl41Uw90nGfqtrbs7VyU

It comes with options for hood up, hood down, half tonneau or rear tonneau only.

y4majdF8dw_FrAI708ilNgxVNZwnrreo8wKcx3L0

y4mFvUz8e1Uamqmf-sO0ka2N6IAqtoS9EXaSkoGJ

y4mXdsyevWOW3tgmK7gOrY9iLz0LBCV0KmlOPbqg

y4mILwhFDXoYDwY2j2CXwfi1vHhMgcqTgfeR8Piv

y4m-jCq3ZwYO72uDE_pDQxy17LpqsQrDYuSiWiMS

My kit came with the parts for the rubber bumper version too.  However, Aoshima's recent releases are boxed as different chrome bumper & rubber bumper ones - whilst the rubber bumper release includes the chrome bumper parts, the chrome bumper one doesn't include the rubber bumpers or the half tonneau which are all on the same mini sprue.  Aside from box art, the decals are also slightly different to reflect the model year (think it's basically the numberplates), and also the rubber bumper version now includes a small sprue with a set of Rostyle steel wheels, which are more appropriate for the rubber bumper cars than the wires.  However, what the Airfix or Aoshima instructions don't tell you is that the ride height between the two is different as the rubber bumper cars were jacked up for compliance with US Federal regs (to do with headlamp and / or bumper heights).  However, the ride height on the model can be adjusted for either without any modifications to the parts - details below:

y4mOFGNA-ykd6mPPHiYhfqaG6jE6_OH9BKKUWYDq

y4mTKYZkMnEKqNkYEiYwynoTdYrQEEVUEfTl2Y-h

Floorpan / chassis in the rubber bumper ride height position, slotted in as per the instructions.

y4mDEKkbO3-qf_LgY7XnJKp_U1058mornoAsITIZ

y4m1_Ad1-HhbXVG8JcOQ6aPh4SW0sM0VcxgSllmQ

Chrome bumper ride height position - note that the floorpan / chassis has been slotted in higher up inside the body and is now resting above the tabs that it is supposed to clip into.   There didn't seem to be any affect on the fit of the interior tub, but the ride height difference was noticable.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Nice one, the differences in the 2 new boxing's are that the rubber bumper kit comes with rostyles, this airfix boxing just has the wires :( I have one in the stash and I hope mine comes out even a 1/4 as good as this :)

Andy.

• Thanks 1

That looks great. I got this one for my birthday (well, the rubber bumper version which seems to have everything in for both cars as you say), and I'll be delighted if I can get near to this standard. The chrome grille and wheels in the kit are probably the best I've seen, and this build lives up to that standard.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Paul H said:

Chrome bumper ride height position - note that the floorpan / chassis has been slotted in higher up inside the body and is now resting above the tabs that it is supposed to clip into.   There didn't seem to be any affect on the fit of the interior tub, but the ride height difference was noticable.

Brilliant build, and looks the business... but that tip is genius. So clever, I wonder if it was designed like that but the knowledge got lost somewhere along the line. I'll definitely be doing the same with mine!

best,

M.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your kind words - very appreciated!  I've always liked the less stereotypical colours, especially on cars such as this.  In hindsight, I would have liked to have built it with a dark blue interior, and the steel wheels and hubcaps as per the first Bs.

On 12/04/2020 at 05:48, Michael Taylor said:

Nice one! Now if only someone would do a Midget series...

Funny you should mention that...  It's something I have been working on, as I have a '61 Sprite Mk2.  I'll post up a WIP thread soon.

On 12/04/2020 at 08:58, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Superb result (from a dedicated Triumph fan!)

TBH, I'm not a huge MG fan (my automotive loyalties lie with twin cam Rileys), however I do have a '65 Triumph roadster, although one of the three speed pedal variety...

On 12/04/2020 at 18:13, ElectricLightAndy said:

Nice one, the differences in the 2 new boxing's are that the rubber bumper kit comes with rostyles, this airfix boxing just has the wires :(

I'm 99% sure that the Rostyles were newly tooled for this current Aoshima release.  In terms of other variants of this kit, there were some previous Aoshima releases of a race / rally version (can't remember which, but unlike the road cars, I have never seen these reboxed by anyone else), with the works hardtop and centrelock Minilite wheels.  I think it's a great pity that they haven't included the hardtop with one of these.  Someone has done a resin GT conversion, but they are scarce, and with a price tag to suit.

On 12/04/2020 at 19:06, Pete in Lincs said:

Crikey, they weren't that good from the factory!

Ah - mine is built as a very early one, hence the colour choice, and lack of reverse lamps so long before all the problems set in at BMC / BL.  At least, that's my excuse for the even panel gaps!

23 hours ago, Spiny said:

That looks great. I got this one for my birthday (well, the rubber bumper version which seems to have everything in for both cars as you say), and I'll be delighted if I can get near to this standard. The chrome grille and wheels in the kit are probably the best I've seen, and this build lives up to that standard.

The wires are certainly up there with the ones in Tamiya's Jaguar Mk2 and Morgan.  If looking for a set to use elsewhere, at 1:1 the MG ones are 14", and the Jag 15" but I think that for both models they are slightly oversize, as part of the scale effect to avoid them looking too small.

23 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Brilliant build, and looks the business... but that tip is genius. So clever, I wonder if it was designed like that but the knowledge got lost somewhere along the line. I'll definitely be doing the same with mine!

best,

M.

It could have been designed in, but I suspect it is accidental, as it is quite a tight fit to get the chassis / floor to align to the lower ride height.  I took the model out of the cabinet earlier this evening to look at this again & turns out it was actually set at the rubber bumper ride height :rolleyes:.  I've now tweaked it so it's no longer suffering from altitude sickness, and will try to take some daylight pics tomorrow for a proper comparison.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Paul H said:

there were some previous Aoshima releases of a race / rally version (can't remember which....)

The one I have is a rally car. The Minilites look pretty decent and it also came with a set of those nice wires. I'm thinking of picking up one of the old Merit F1 cars that were re-issued by Smer and seeing what the wires might look like on that, I know they wouldn't be perfectly correct, but .... (I actually used to have a couple of original Merit kits but actually sold them on (before the prices rocketed!) as I couldn't find any decent wire wheels at the time!)

Keith 

• Thanks 1

Some updated pics with it now at the correct ride height - it's not much, but the wheel centres are now aligned with the middle of the sills, not the lower edge.  I've done some tweaks to tidy up the lighting & background but haven't edited anything on the model itself.

y4mbsJW0kGAl61F91Vhe5FmMVy_oiAB0MW_vtiJY

y4mLOvyY3ew_6LQArQK0OKZqZF-_MaGSpxkZ5rz7

y4myH5mkAlV0MJxSpxUQ07tICRbV_ENiFQ_ak5NV

y4mQwu28-MrGmlHXimjP40h1jq60Ba0Ba7SIJCTV

• Like 4

Lovely modelling there Sir.  

I suppose the poor ole B gets a bit of slagging but arguably not justified.  I had two at the same time.  The roadster I sold after 10 years happy and trouble free motoring and at twice what I paid for it.  The GT I had for three years and it was the fastest car I have driven.  Sold on to px for a Lotus and it ended up in Australia having a full rebuild to original.  Well it was a V8 that had been race spec'd but looked "normal" on a casual inspection.  Outrageously quick in any straight line and "interesting" on bends.  A fast hatchback eater.

Your build brings back happy memories.  I did try the Airfix model at one time but binned it as I wasn't happy with the result.  Yours is way more like it.

By the way do they provide different dashboards for the earlier and later versions?  The interior was quite different in that respect.

• Thanks 1

On 15/04/2020 at 23:16, JohnT said:

Lovely modelling there Sir. 

Your build brings back happy memories.

Thank you, and good to hear 🙂

On 15/04/2020 at 23:16, JohnT said:

By the way do they provide different dashboards for the earlier and later versions?  The interior was quite different in that respect.

Just the early type dash.  Aside from the bumpers, there are no specific parts for the late version (the Rostyles don't count, as these were first introduced with the chrome bumper cars).  So for instance, the correct type, squarer profile tail light units are not included. Not hugely noticable at 1:24, but something those who know would spot!

• Like 1