Browsing the Hannants website whilst drunk

AltcarBoB

5 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

EU law still applies till the end of the year I think. Then we are on our own God help us.

Don't think there are plans to alter the law away from the current position.  Its now under the Consumer Contract Regulations (replacing the old Distance Selling Regulations) which in effect gives you a limited right to return within a specified period.

This link can be helpful

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

But for heavens sake do not let the Missus see this or every on line model purchase will have to run the danger period when it could be found and returned under spousal supervision !  It might be an idea to practice a response of "Oh I've had that one for ages - I think its even OOP now" with a :innocent:  just in case 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AltcarBoB said:

I was a few pennies short once on an order for widgets to get free delivery. Spent ages looking for the cheapest thing I could order finally found something and got my free delivery. 

Clicked to go the basket to pay and the item I wanted in the first place updated to show as out of stock. I messed around for ages and someone got in before me. I think the retail gods were sending me a message.

Yep same thing happened, Tamiya paints I need are all out

@AltcarBoB - Well, what were the drunken purchases? :)

Just looking at the Hannants website - so funny that that new massive 1000-part 1/72 Antanov AN225 has already sold out on pre-orders. Certainly going to be a project, wonder how many of those surely had to be late night drunken orders! :)

On 4/16/2020 at 9:50 AM, Filbert_Wang said:

@AltcarBoB - Well, what were the drunken purchases? :)

Just looking at the Hannants website - so funny that that new massive 1000-part 1/72 Antanov AN225 has already sold out on pre-orders. Certainly going to be a project, wonder how many of those surely had to be late night drunken orders! :)

And how many will be built🤣

Trevor

• Like 1

On 12/04/2020 at 13:24, tweeky said:

Shouldn't tell you this Heather but your not far away from the warehouse in  Oulton Broad and you can visit the place, you just sign in and watch the money flow from your bank account. I used to live 20 mins from the place.

20mins away? Me too......I make a conscious effort not to drive past. If you know the Lowestoft area road layout you will understand that's not as easy as it sounds!

2 hours ago, Timbo88 said:

20mins away? Me too......I make a conscious effort not to drive past. If you know the Lowestoft area road layout you will understand that's not as easy as it sounds!

used to come in from Belton via Lound so didn't have to touch Lowestoft

On 4/12/2020 at 8:14 AM, Alan P said:

😂😂😂

I impulse bought a 1/32 Super Hornet on ebay (the final minute of the listing was ticking away) right in front of my wife the other night. When the winner notification and price popped up on the screen I kinda turned round to her and said, 'I just had to do it.' 

I think that makes me braver than firemen or people who fight in wars. 

Thats brilliant! And yes I'd agree that its a very, very brave thing to have done 👌

I had a text whilst at work the other day from my lovely wife saying "Theres another big package just arrived here for you" (Note the use of the word 'another'!!). So on getting home I scuttled upstairs with said package and checked the contents, finding a Hobby Boss 1/48 F-14B as expected. Later in the evening whilst at the bench my wife came in and saw the not exactly small box and the conversation kinda went like this:-

Mrs Eng - "Was that what was in your parcel?",

(well you can't disguise that size of box)

Me - "Yes"

(The next question is always my favourite)

Mrs Eng - "So...how many of those do you have already?"  

(Now feeling a bit brave.....)

Me - "Ah, just the one more!....Oh, and a Hobby Boss 'A' version, this Tamiya 'A' (points to last weeks arrival), and another Tamiya 'D' like that (points to completed VF-31 Tamiya D on the shelf)"

(Now expecting a s**t storm to erupt I quickly continued....)

Me - "...The thing is I've a build plan for all of these, and they are all slightly different. You see the aircraft evolved from the 'A' model with TF-30 engines and the smaller chin pod, this one (Tamiya A) will be a late model 'A', the 'A+' or 'B' featured more powerful and reliable F110 engines.... blah, blah, blah"

(I turn to continue my explanation....  Mrs Eng now vacating the room...)

Mrs S - "Whatever..."

Lived to spend another day at the bench! 💪😉

Eng

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, eng said:

(I turn to continue my explanation....  Mrs Eng now vacating the room...)

Mrs S - "Whatever..."

Smooooooth! 🏆🏅🎖️🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 21:03, langy said:

I've done exactly the same thing myself today, 

A quick wander around the internet and i'm now the proud owner of the following,

1/48 Kinetic Sea Harrier FRS.1,

An Eduard BIG ED PE set for it,  

1/48 scale standing Harrier pilot,

Master - Pitot Tube & Angle Of Attack probe,

Eduard-1/48 Remove before flight (UK) tags,

Various Tamiya acrylics,

just over £100 worth..

lets hope SWMBO doesn't get to these before i do...lol

Whoops - been there & done that on more than one occasion - I promise I won't tell Pushka ;)

• Like 1

Mrs T doesn't do shopping, apart from the garden centre/nursery and so most of stuff about clothes an shoes won't wash, which is my most of my purchases come via Halifax Modellers World. She seemed to have no problem with me buying a couple of kits from Dave 'to help keep him in business', but they were were quite small ones. I hope I can go back to visiting the shop by the time my next lot of pre orders are in. At least most 1/72nd scale stuff comes in manageable boxes. 

• 2 weeks later...

My Hannants models arrive in NZ long after the details have appeared in the credit card statements so no chance of disguise.  Just a few kits at a time drip drip style then spirited up to the loft to join the rest for a rainy day.

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 7:20 AM, GordonM said:

It could have been worse, my other hobby is photography and I’ve been looking at changing my whole system, which would involve me spending around £5k! I’m not looking at camera dealers when any alcohol is around!

Honestly, do you guys REALLY think you have a problem

https://shop.guitarpoint.de/en/gibson/1958-gibson-les-paul-standard-ronnie-montrose-burst
spacer.png

Only €295,000 

then there is this lot....

spacer.png

Andy Summers 1958 V on the left, probably about 3-500,000, Eric Clapton’s 1958 Explorer in the middle. Sold in 1999 for £120,000, you could add a nought to that now at least and on the right , Paul Kossoff’s 1958 Les Paul (one of at least three he had and fully documented) sold privately, thought to be over £1m.

the most I spent drunk was £400 on a Gibson SG. I listed it on EBay as ‘brand new condition, bought Due to an accident involving my  addled brain and a very nice St Emilion!’

I have been very lucky in my career to play some truly iconic guitars but never *quite* drunk enough to part ex the house for one!

Edited by melvyn hiscock

On 04/07/2020 at 12:35, melvyn hiscock said:

Honestly, do you guys REALLY think you have a problem

https://shop.guitarpoint.de/en/gibson/1958-gibson-les-paul-standard-ronnie-montrose-burst
spacer.png

Only €295,000 

then there is this lot....

spacer.png

Andy Summers 1958 V on the left, probably about 3-500,000, Eric Clapton’s 1958 Explorer in the middle. Sold in 1999 for £120,000, you could add a nought to that now at least and on the right , Paul Kossoff’s 1958 Les Paul (one of at least three he had and fully documented) sold privately, thought to be over £1m.

the most I spent drunk was £400 on a Gibson SG. I listed it on EBay as ‘brand new condition, bought Due to an accident involving my  addled brain and a very nice St Emilion!’

I have been very lucky in my career to play some truly iconic guitars but never *quite* drunk enough to part ex the house for one!

Some nice firewood there. 😂

• Haha 2

On 4/12/2020 at 1:24 PM, tweeky said:

Shouldn't tell you this Heather but your not far away from the warehouse in  Oulton Broad and you can visit the place, you just sign in and watch the money flow from your bank account. I used to live 20 mins from the place.

I went there while on holiday nearby  once and watched all of my money fall out! 

• Like 1

I've not had a drink in, oooh, 26 years but that didn't stop me pre-ordering the Eduard mk1 Spitfire pack from Hannants the other day, immediately after finding out about it from you lot.  I have no excuse.  None.

• Like 1

Man alive, have I ticked a lot of these boxes off:

- “accidentally” bought a whole batch of models (kingkit rather than hannants and be careful about typing that url in late in the evening or there’s no telling where you’ll end up)

- adding “one or two” extra items to get free shipping

- spur of the moment guitars (Ibanez Artcore thin-body in a cherry red on impulse a random Saturday in Newcastle)

- overexplaining all of the above to a significant other who is silently questioning their life choices

I can also add a not insignificant number of impulse bought bikes to the above 

• Like 1