Kinetic 1/48 Mirage IIIS

After a couple of months down in the Group Build section of the forum building F-16’s, I’ve decided to build something a bit different for me. I’ve been tinkering with this on and off since Tuesday. The only extra detail I’ve added so far is some seat belts made from Tamiya tape. The instrument panel is one of the nicest kit panels I’ve ever seen, it might not be entirely accurate but it is very nice.

20200409_222036

20200409_220520

20200411_214943

I tried a homebrew mix for the cockpit green which turned out a bit too dark but I can live with it.

Sean

• Like 5

Quite a lot of progress has been made. Typical Kinetic kit really, single mould for lots of variants results in a lot of poorly fitting inserts.

20200415_131140

20200415_131152

Sean

• Like 5

You are qick, and it looks good already!

Looks like you mastered the most critical areas already :)

intake joint may need some filler, but nothing major!

good choice to use the kit cockpit!!

• Like 1

I have one if these in the stash so I am interested in your experience with the Kenitic kit.  The fit looks a little iffy but as the previous posted stated a bit of filler and u are good to go. 

Regards

Brian 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BKirwan said:

I have one if these in the stash so I am interested in your experience with the Kenitic kit.  The fit looks a little iffy but as the previous posted stated a bit of filler and u are good to go. 

Regards

Brian 

I would treat all Kinetic kits as short run kits. They do turn out some nice results in the end and I do enjoy the challenge of them. They can be frustrating at times that’s all.. :) 

Sean

• Like 2

The Mirage III is such an elegant airplane and your kit is coming along nicely. Looking forward to the finished result. 

First coat of Humbrol 191 on today.

20200418_213117

I’ve also been mapping out my next three builds. Firefly, Spitfire then hopefully the Tucano providing that I’m brave enough :shrug:

2020-04-18_09-12-46

Sean :pilot:

• Like 2

For a relative, but still  already older youngtimer, a IIIS is a plane in 2 tones of grey, and most important canards...  most likely no Falcons though...

But of course silver/ natural metal and big cocards is/ was also an option!

Very nice!

Are you gonna arm it? Please!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

This one is going to represent an early IIIS. So no canards and no Falcons because I don’t have any unfortunately. I might put some Sidewinders on it though, there are some pieces of plastic in the box that look suspiciously like AIM-9B’s :hmmm:

Sean

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still plodding on with this. The decals are a little bit of an enigma to me, some shatter upon contact with water, some split in two and others behave perfectly. The red flash on the spine was a particular pain, the first one broke into many pieces and the second stuck fast and took a lot of persuasion to move. The instructions are also very vague with what decals to use.

20200509_222346

Still, I’m liking the way it’s turning out.

Sean

• Like 2

Like it a lot!

Great! 

In case you wanna do another one, Matterhorn Circle does great ones... for all possible schemes!

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 1

These actually are Matterhorn decal, which is why I was surprised by the instructions. Kinetic only provides schemes for the later variants.

Sean

• Sad 1

On 4/15/2020 at 9:32 PM, Mozzy19 said:

I would treat all Kinetic kits as short run kits. They do turn out some nice results in the end and I do enjoy the challenge of them. They can be frustrating at times that’s all.. :) 

Sean

This. I'm busy with a couple of their Kfirs, one of which has been a shelf queen for nearly 6 years.. Getting back to it, I'm reminded why it sat collecting dust for so long! Just about every piece needs some degree of clean up and with the moulding not being 'sharp' and the plastic being soft, it's quite easy to deform a piece. It doesn't look like you've inserted the wingtip lights yet but I'd be interested to know how they fit - the Kfirs were slightly undersized 🤨

Still, there are some absolutely stunning results being obtained from the kit so all in all, I guess with some dedication and elbow grease, it's not that bad a kit.

You are doing a lovely job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Avgas said:

This. I'm busy with a couple of their Kfirs, one of which has been a shelf queen for nearly 6 years.. Getting back to it, I'm reminded why it sat collecting dust for so long! Just about every piece needs some degree of clean up and with the moulding not being 'sharp' and the plastic being soft, it's quite easy to deform a piece. It doesn't look like you've inserted the wingtip lights yet but I'd be interested to know how they fit - the Kfirs were slightly undersized 🤨

Still, there are some absolutely stunning results being obtained from the kit so all in all, I guess with some dedication and elbow grease, it's not that bad a kit.

You are doing a lovely job!

As far as I understand, the Kfir is a totally differrrnt, older tooling. Many comments still aply here as well...

12 minutes ago, exdraken said:

As far as I understand, the Kfir is a totally differrrnt, older tooling. Many comments still aply here as well...

I hope so because I have a pile of their Mirages to get through as well!

• Like 1