1/8 Heller BMW R100 RT

This kit dates back to 1987/88, I picked it up off eBay as an unstarted kit, just before Christmas, been itching to start it. As I am very familiar with the full size machine and it was a very popular bike in its day, known as the "Airhead" models, due to being an opposed air-cooled flat twin or boxer, it should hopefully build up into something very interesting to look at. I have built Hellers R750/5 machine in the past, so I am familiar with how the engine is put together and the cycle parts are very similar also. I hope to update you very soon with progress.

QX9siF5.jpg
XZ0OEUb.jpg
3ysacU4.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 2

Just a quick update, I have splashed a bit of paint on some of the bodywork this weekend, once the paint has hardened off the tank and tail unit I will try and mask and airbrush the gold pinstripes on. I’m still working on the upper fairing, but making good progress overall. More soon guys.

rSlYYcX.jpg
1lnNs6b.jpg
ghYOewH.jpg
InMFo7E.jpg

• Like 1

Following this with great interest!  Heller chose such great subject matter for full detail kits in the '70s & '80s.  The parts all look well molded - what is the fit like?

19 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Following this with great interest!  Heller chose such great subject matter for full detail kits in the '70s & '80s.  The parts all look well molded - what is the fit like?

I will update you on fit issues later this week,but looking not too bad overall.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Stu_davros said:

That green looks amazing Lee, I’ll be watching with interest.

Stuart

It was a rare colour for that bike,most were dressed in the candy red and smoke black scheme,but i fancied doing the green version.

I have made good progress on the engine and cycle parts,i will posted more details later this week.

• 3 weeks later...

More progress on the Beemer this week. Biggest problem was the centre headlamp section of the fairing; Heller had decided to mould the upper and lower sections in one piece, instead of 2 sections as the full size bike had. This part was made in a brittle clear section, problem was it was badly warped, and there was no way the rest of the fairing panels would ever line up with this warped section in its present state, so I decided to separate the part under the chin of the headlamp using an old soldering iron. Then I epoxied the upper headlamp part to the upper fairing sections, and once that was completed over the course of a few days, I painted all of the parts. It took most of a day to fit the lower 3 fairing sections to the upper section, but we are slowly getting there.

j7FBhoM.jpg
QxPCuYx.jpg
qtLh900.jpg
bBPkE4T.jpg
sDxfDtx.jpg
HQO1MTj.jpg
SlWEB9K.jpg

• Like 3