IA-58A Pucará, 1/72 Special Hobby, Falklands War `82

I`ve just finished another model for my Falklands collection - 1/72 IA-58A Pucará, A-532, Grupo 3 de Ataque, Fuerza Aerea Argentina, Falklands War 1982. This particular aircraft is well known from photo taken in Argentina mainland before its departure to Falklands (BAM Malvinas, Port Stanley) on 27 May 1982. It took part in air raids on British units in Darwin/Goose Green area on May 28. It was later damaged in ground collision with Pucará A-514 and captured by British at Port Stanley airfield. Later used as training target and destroyed.

I tried to recreate the look of A-532 from the photo. Characteristic is big 300 gal fuel tank under fuselage (not painted) and 2 TERs on underwing pylons. Bright camo with sky blue underside, control surfaces in natural metal. Yellow bands on wings and fin (later overpainted).

Special Hobby kit (also reboxed by Airfix without resin and PE parts) is not very well detailed and has some issues, but it`s quite pleasant to build. I`ve changed a strake in front of the fin, enlarged underwing pylons (and added transparent light covers), changed sweep angle of the horizontal tails and added flap fairings. Centerline pylon, fuel tank and TERs are from spares. Decals are from SH kit and DP Casper 72018 set. The rest (except for some self-made details) is OOB. Painted with Hataka C136, 137 and 138 (brightened).

PS: Special Hobby announced new-tool 1/72 Pucará kit in 2018, but I still haven`t seen it... 😉

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 52

By far the nicest Pucara build I have seen, and it's in 1/72 scale, too! All of the corrections you have made really make a difference in the finished model and that is some very nice and subtle airbrush work!

Mike

• Like 1

VERY cool. You must've need some serious nose weight to stop it from tail-sitting. Wish Kinetic would get moving on their 1/48 Pucara...

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Josh G said:

You must've need some serious nose weight to stop it from tail-sitting.

Yes, there is a lot of lead in nose, in cockpit area and even in engines. Fortunately that was enough. 😋

Superb!!!!!  Your results are simply beautiful!!!!! 

Mike

• Like 1

Superb, looks awesome

• Like 1

And another Pucara turns up - sorry, another amazing Pucara turns up.

• Like 1

Great job Alex. The colours look fantastic.

I live in hope that Kinetic will one day release their 48th scale version.

• Like 1

Cracking build, very nicely done

• Like 1