Monogram Cord 812

Following on from the 1930 Packard, & whilst still fed up with that 1:16 Bugatti, I started another classic Monogram kit as I had really caught the modelling bug.  However I also had quite a few half built models that I was working on at the same time so it wasn't completed until a couple of years (and one house move) later, in 2009. 

y4m77289sd-aP6HMu9cJIX-GJrkOe7pDy3b8Ugyu

y4m5mUetXZm74I5T2L0rzTyAqwiatnj4k8dwa-1Z

y4mv8ySyg_REx-x2S2so2aE_NyYZvn1FvkiiD7ZG

y4m4kTEZZoecVgTTCuEZgGjTjAr1JXSpHII5sSDL

y4mwRZDXa0mdkfUYKqyhE3xOBk54zD5KL8802MCV

y4m1BJ1XkIDneOtiHpP3OVWS7FBWKyBBfzOMo8CV

y4mWFKXpSjpOPjgz12ydcRbrRyFWrhKLRAOY2aMy

There were a few fit issues with the bonnet side trim, which needed sorting before painting, to ensure that the top and bottom halves aligned properly around the exhausts, and the rear valance which was supposed to be glued in place after the body was fitted to the chassis was cemented in place before the body was painted in order to avoid an unsightly seam where there shouldn't be one.  As the rear bumper irons are sandwiched between the valance & the body, the irons were cut to enable the chassis to fit, and then the remaining sections glued in place when the rear bumper was installed.  This mod worked really well:

y4mhJofLvGRJxlX_BQ7TfTOB9XyCHBDhruk1doG6y4muoxtS3_RpQqT62Xe3kqCF8BRLMPXLQrXeNYof

y4mfhRIMtfsoo3rAzQKwfebIjM_rh49UTMnMnEgmy4mI-tVz67TQmcUPgTWIbzYerpVfdVlra1Ma7ouE

y4mgNf4D6EA1UXUX52v6rk_2ByWkvCgWJqyuz9bwy4m-QOUXUNXUvqnqFSE2lYWKofH07EiCwTF-d4Ux

This was the first paint work that I was really pleased with (the Edsel in the background doesn't count as it was one of AMT's prepainted kits, which I bought to practise using BMF).

y4mQDL2S25qEl_Udoim4C_YW88TwohdA6SsWzwOz

& after polishing

y4m7SpbJR9B40WD67f2jhcX4KBuvrRuhkRBqYySh

My only regret is that I didn't make the bonnet fully removable (instead, it is hinged as per the kit design) as it is difficult to see the engine detail once assembled

y4mG8cDkU3lh1lYFFreqt83Wvp733u4zE4SQ6lsk

y4m-xm_QIk9eF-BOujDIjzSNYBRbWNKa95i7JFh5

There is also a hood, which fits well but I only have a rear view photo from when the model was half built

y4mKFOGjWyQVcqAvvNuxpChw15lHYyP_VgeBi0PH

& this poor indoor pic

y4mAORL3vYrPbEuQBYMG97BB_Zr9YHjpBZbOxbAN

I thought that this one turned out quite nicely, as it was definately far better quality paintwork than anything I had built before but I still had a lot more to learn...

Edited by Paul H
spelling correction
  • Like 8

Very nice!

I built the '37 Lindberg Cord back in the dim and distant past and from what I remember it was a bit of a mare.

I wonder if this is a Monogram boxing of the Lindberg kit. Whichever you've done a magnificent job :goodjob:

• Like 1

Thank you - this one is Monograms own tooling & went together pretty well.  The only flaw in the kit that I remember was the bonnet side trim alignment, but easily solved by trail fitting & tweaking prior to paint.

Just looked it up on Scalemates & some of the info is wrong though - there is a Revell 1:25 Cord listed as a 1989 new tool (which may have been the one issue I had, but could have sworn it was a Monogram boxing) but it's clearly the old Monogram 1:24 one, which it turns out dates from 1966.  I guess the confusion is due to the scale misprint on the box.  There is a Lindberg (ex-Pyro, 1955 tooling) one listed though, with a multipiece body, which sounds like the one you describe.

8 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Thank you - this one is Monograms own tooling & went together pretty well.  The only flaw in the kit that I remember was the bonnet side trim alignment, but easily solved by trail fitting & tweaking prior to paint.

Just looked it up on Scalemates & some of the info is wrong though - there is a Revell 1:25 Cord listed as a 1989 new tool (which may have been the one issue I had, but could have sworn it was a Monogram boxing) but it's clearly the old Monogram 1:24 one, which it turns out dates from 1966.  I guess the confusion is due to the scale misprint on the box.  There is a Lindberg (ex-Pyro, 1955 tooling) one listed though, with a multipiece body, which sounds like the one you describe.

The multi piece body sounds familiar now you mention it. 1955? no wonder it made me sweat 😃

It's a great looking car and I like how you've built it so perhaps I'll get me grubby mitts on a Monogram / Revell kit and give it another go.

Cheers Paul, stay safe :cheers:

• Thanks 1

I think that Monogram's 'Museum Pieces' (as they marketed them at one point) pre-WW2 car kits have aged really well - this M-B 540K currently in the WiP section is a Revell AG re-release from that series, and the 1930 Packard in one of my other threads is also originally from the same series.  I really like those two I have done so far and have the 1941 Lincoln Continental waiting to be built, whilst also keeping an eye out for more if they pop up at the right price.  Other ones I know of are a tourer / phaeton version of the Packard; a Duesenburg SJ available in three different body styles; a coupe version of the Mercedes; a 1931 Rolls-Royce (so probably a Phantom 2, but possibly a Phantom 1 as the Springfield factory continued building that until '31) in two body styles; a Cadillac V16 and also a Bugatti T35B.  Anyhow, if you like cars of this era, don't let the age of the tooling put you off - as you managed that Pyro / Lindberg kit, these ones will be a pleasure to build as I reckon that Monogram did an excellent job of the design & tooling.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 1

Another beauty from your bench, Paul.

Years ago I built the 1941 Lincoln from the same Monogram series and thought it was a very nice kit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, peekay said:

Another beauty from your bench, Paul.

Years ago I built the 1941 Lincoln from the same Monogram series and thought it was a very nice kit.

Thank you - that means a lot given how good all your builds look!  I'd love to see some pics of your Lincoln, if you have any?

• Like 1

On 13/04/2020 at 00:08, Paul H said:

Thank you - that means a lot given how good all your builds look!  I'd love to see some pics of your Lincoln, if you have any?

Thanks Paul. I'm slowly taking new (better) photos of all my built models so I'll do the Lincoln soon.

• Like 1