Monogram 1930 Packard Speedster

Yet another from the archives, this time a slightly unusual one.  I chose this as the body didn't need painting (I have to spray outside & this was during winter) and I wanted a quick & easy build to make up for the 1:16 Bugatti which was driving me mad at the time (& is visible lurking part-built in the back of some of the pics).

It is one of Monogram's Metal Master series, which I think was a '80s release, but the original kit is from their excellent 1920s & 30s car series which I think dates from the late 1960s.  What should be bare plastic is silver / satin chrome plated, and what should be chrome is instead gold plated...  I think they were intended to be built as exactly that, with no painting based on the info on the box and in the instructions but I don't think I've ever seen one built.  However, I decided to treat it as though it was simply an over-restored motorshow / museum display car, and thus appropriate details were washed (e.g. the engine & grille) and painted as per the appropriate material (e.g. badging, tail lights, engine hoses & instruments), and which is also why the spare wheel covers and interior are a natural leather colour.  Looking back, the latter could do with some more texture / depth, especially to the flooring.

y4mH7oOkODGcIH74Mt4vxM5gGK1JTLSY63aM61BA

y4mypjpRpn3RpAN-Ma1eLwiGLOyN3my9LlfUCK5J

y4mhO0Mi3kQQQ5qyp4tlvBRFFWxNLh8VsPbZ9zQU

y4m0BnxPXvkIm_nhPIu6xQ7yvutpx1Ty6Lzo_CGS

y4m5mNvOuGqiY7czdhdAJFKArXreGjGCOdv06kpK

y4mmjBbMVZR1Icg78XllzS5QgkFokDgQ1E_-cich

y4mttiqmFISn1rAVGYSzffMyJ2ZbMb1ur3MYstTM

Anyhow, whilst the glitzy, Liberace style finish not to all tastes, it was a good mojo booster at the time.  I was pretty impressed with the kit itself and as a result I soon ended up building another from this series although it was a normal version this time!

• Like 8

Nice indeed, it certainly brightens up the shelf.  I really like it, not your standard everyday look. Glad it got your mojo back, its amazing how a nice simple build can do that, and then throw ourselves back into the thing that brought our mojo down.

Great looking model, well done.

Coops

• Like 1

I like that, you may have just stuck with the kit finishes but to my mind it works really well. Judging by the photos, it looks like one of those kits which has presence (the one which catches your eye when you glance at the display).

• Like 1

Thanks all!  Had I built it all unpainted, I reckon it would have appeared very strange, especially with if the interior & hood cover were left in a plated finish.  Looking at the pics now, the only thing I regret is not adding spark plug wires, but at that stage, I had never modified a kit to add them.

I remember these silver and gold versions but had never seen one built before. You did a great job and the paint detailing you added looks just right.

• Like 1