Eduard 1/72 Spitfire MK.IX Stanislaw Skalski FINISHED

Evening all. For this GB I'm going to build the above mentioned Eduard kit. I will be using the kit decals for Skalski's aircraft.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I will be using these paints.

spacer.png

I used to use Life color exclusively when I first got into modeling as my local hobby shop stocked them. I did find them difficult to airbrush so switched to Tamiya and Gunze aqueous. But as they are my only option for the azure and middle stone I'll try my best with them. Anyway I hope to get this going soon so I need to re-find my mojo which is not easy given these difficult times we are all living through.

Cheers Allan

• Like 7

Morning all. Got round to starting this one last night. Basically the cockpit parts were cleaned up and primed then painted interior green.   

The cockpit is nicely detailed so I’m taking my time to try and make a decent job of it. Next up will be some detail painting but I’m not sure when that will be as my wife is working from home and has commandeered the dining room where I do my models. I’m back at work Wednesday after a week off, can’t say I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully I’ll get more done on Saturday.

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. After two weeks since my last post I’ve made some progress on this one. The cockpit is highly detailed with many small parts with some etch  to further complicate it. It’s together in a fashion but a bit rough so closed cockpit is necessary. Still I’ve hopefully learned something for when I next build one.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

With  the cockpit complete the wings and fuselage were put together. No major issue here but some seams to sort out tomorrow.

spacer.png

So far this has been mostly fun to build with excellent fit of most parts. I’ll try not to lose the nice details with my cleaning up of the seams. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 5

Hi all. I’ve got most of this together now except for the canopy and cannons. This is a relatively straightforward  build albeit with a lot of parts to make up the airframe. Most of it went together well but there were a few issues with the fuselage and wing joints. Hopefully I’ve sorted them out ok but I’ll see when I get some primer on. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Forgot to say I used a Brassin replacement top cowl I bought cheap at a show last year. 

Cheers Allan 

• Like 4

Hi all. Some progress with this tonight, Canopy on and masked. Other bits and bobs on such as cannon and radio mast which lasted all of 1/2 an hour before I broke it off. With my next build it will be the last thing I do as it’s not the most secure of fittings. Anyways primer on tomorrow morning and all being well painting tomorrow night. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 6

Hi all. I’ve just spent a couple of hours reminding myself why I gave up on spraying Lifecolor paints. Basically I just can’t do it. I was trying to paint the underside Azure blue but eventually I had to concede it was never going to happen. I then looked for an azure mix for Tamiya. I found one from a few years ago on Britmodeller which suggested a mix of 3 parts xf-2 white with 1 part xf-8. This is the result.

spacer.png

The picture makes it look a bit darker than it is but I’m not sure if it’s accurate. It has a slight purple tinge to it which I believe azure had. It may look better if I lighten it a bit to break up the block colour. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 4

I think that azure looks really good... and I have noticed that colours look a lot darker and more contrasty on screen than in real life.

I am very impressed with this build... I had to check several times that this wasn't 48 scale... It would be very impressive modelling at that scale, but at 1/72, its remarkable. 

• Thanks 1

Hi all. Thought I’d take advantage of some spare time today to progress with this one. I tried to airbrush some random light spots of the azure blue to break up the single colour. All I did was waste several hours and ended up where I started. My attempt at random fading was rubbish to say the least. I’ve never mastered getting the paint mix right. It’s either is too thin or too thick with overspray. Anyway I ended up spraying it black to cover up the disastrous paint job then resprayed the azure.  I do think it actually looks better this time with some variation evident but I’m not sure this will come across on the pic.

spacer.png

Tomorrow I hope to start the top colours.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 5

Hi all. Started the first of the top colours last night. The nearest colour to mid-stone, apart from the Lifecolor one, I have is Tamiya's desert yellow so that's what I used. I think it looks OK.

spacer.png

Tomorrow I hope to get the dark earth done. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 6

Evening all. I managed to fit in some  modelling this afternoon. 3 hours of masking got me this.

spacer.png

Ten minutes of painting later 

spacer.png

I found this one tricky to mask as it It’s been a few years since I’ve done this kind of thing. 

I realised after taking the masking off I missed a bit of the dark earth under the rear tail plane. So more masking and painting required. 

Cheers Allan

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Like the way the colors turned out on this Allan. :clap2:

Thanks Dennis.

Cheers Allan 

Good neat paint work, like that Tamiya yellow, that works

I think we must have used the same lifcolor stockist, sadly my stash of desert life Color is dwindling.

Good job

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Good neat paint work, like that Tamiya yellow, that works

I think we must have used the same lifcolor stockist, sadly my stash of desert life Color is dwindling.

Good job

Hi Valkyrie, I bought Lifecolor paint from the much missed Jamieson’s in Glasgow. I first used them for brush painting but when I started using an airbrush I gave up on them. I still have loads left which I never use apart from black brush painting on small parts.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 1

Hi all. Short post this morning. All glossed up and ready for the decals tomorrow, my favourite part.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 4

Evening all. I’m about to start the decals and I have a question I hope someone knows the answer to. It concerns whether I should put the stencils on as I’m not sure if the desert colours covered the stencils or not. Any help would be appreciated. I’ll crack on with the main markings meantime. 

Cheers Allan 

Hi Allan,

For my models, as Desert scheme was a factory paint job, I would assume the stencils would all have been on the plane, to start with anyway.  Any patch repairs most likely would cover or ignore stencils. 

Any non-standard colours are likely to have been painted over the stencils which may not have been reinstated.

Remember squadron codes were painted at unit level so the stencils should be under any of these.

Cheers

Will

PS having said that, apart from the famous belly photo of Mk.XII MB885, I struggle to see any stencils on most period photos!

Edited by malpaso
Ps added
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Malpaso for your response. I’ve not decided as to stencils or not. As you say when you look at photos you really can’t see any. The only photo if Stalski’s  Spitfire I could find on the web doesn’t help due to the poor quality. Anyway I’ve got the main decals on ok. The only issue I had was with the fuselage roundels. The yellow border looked greenish on the model. I found replacements but the red circle is very noticeably different to the red on the tail and the wing roundels. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers Allan 

• Like 7

Looks really good Allan.

The difference in the red isn't that apparent in the photos, but possibly more for you. Might it be possible to very carefully use a bit of thin dark oil wash? Its a tricky one.

Best wishes for the rest of the build.

• Thanks 1