Sopwith Bat Boat, 1/72nd modified Joystick vacuum-formed - 1913 British Amphibian contest winer

IMG_1000+%25281280x967%2529.jpg

Old kits and esoteric subjects are an attractive combination, and a great opportunity to exercise those modeling skills.

As mentioned in the step-by-step building post, I got this model via fellow modeler L. Santos, who saw it in a shop and called me from there to see if was interested, thanks L!

Thanks also to John Aero, Ed Russell and Adrian MF for providing useful info.

The kit is mildly fair, but doesn't excel in any way. The white metal accessories were not good, and the alloy was too soft. The strut material was flimsy and the provided framing rods uneven. The kit had an inaccurate central section on the lower wing, which required  solving, and did not account for the very visible radiators on each side of the engine.

All these points and their solutions can be visited in the construction post:

IMG_1001+%25281280x978%2529.jpg

The kit offers an attractive and historically significant type in a reasonable package, that will require nonetheless some care and skills to be brought to fruition.

Starting from this:

IMG_8521b+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

To arrive to this:

IMG_1001a+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

As mentioned in the construction post, the plane was the first successful amphibian designed and built in the UK, and also the winner of the Mortimer Singer amphibian contest of 1913, merits enough to grant it a place in a model collection.

IMG_1002+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_1003+%25281280x960%2529+%25282%2529.

IMG_9355+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_9359-1+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_9305+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_9306+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

• Like 18

Lovely! How ingenious, those early aircraft engineers - a Dutch wooden shoe for fuselage, some old pigeon cage walls to protect the engine, and mom's filament stock to keep it all together...  An outstanding model and outstanding pictures of it!

• Thanks 1

I think this is one of your best, C.  Amazing rigging, and it must have been a real challenge to keep everything straight.  Next a Curtiss F Boat?

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Lovely! How ingenioius, those early aircraft engineers - a Dutch wooden show for fuselage, some old pigeon cage walls to protect the engine, and mom's filament stock to keep it all together...  An outstanding model and outstanding pictures of it!

😄

Thanks Toryu

A canvassed flying bathtub.

Wow - stunning!

Great to see something I have not heard or seen of before as well so makes a great change.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Epeeman said:

Wow - stunning!

Great to see something I have not heard or seen of before as well so makes a great change.

Regards

Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I agree new types are refreshing, that's why I so often leave the aviation freeway and take a somewhat hidden country dirt road detour.

There are rewarding things to be found.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Moa said:

Hi Ian

Would it make you happier to add a Rolls-Royce jet engine and, of course, a restroom?

They are, as you know, not necessary. But the rest of the fuselage and hull maybe!

Ian

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jonners said:

What a superb result - definitely one of my favourites among your many fantastic models. Very nicely done, sir!

Jon

Thanks, Jon.

Not too shabby this one.

8 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

Beautiful job Moa, really nice wood effect.

Thanks, Andrew

Not really difficult to do.