Seafire FR Mk 47***FINISHED***

Hi Charlie and Graham,

I was just finishing what will I hope be the last of my research linked posts when Charlie's came in, It is now "hidden" on the previous page in case you are interested. The previous Robertson book had some potentially useful information, though I will not be changing my colour scheme.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

The cockpit is in and painted. Although it is quite detailed, for some reason SH have not provided the round headrest pad which I am pretty sure was fitted so I have added one - AFAIK Seafires usually had thicker pads than land based planes, perhaps due to the use of catapults/arrestor gear.

DSC03135-crop

You will note that I have glued in the camera windows - there is one on both sides of the fuselage and one in the belly, and they are rather see through. I have therefore ordered a set of resin cameras. They are designed for the Spitfire PRXIX so I will probably have to modify them. I am unsure if there were 2 oblique ones  - somehow I doubt it as there would probably not be enough room in the fuse so I guess they mounted one on either the Port or Starboard Side? The set has two long lens ones for the two belly cameras in the PR XIX I think, and one shorter oblique one.

More anon.

Pete

• Like 3

On 6/10/2020 at 10:09 PM, PeterB said:

I am unsure if there were 2 oblique ones  - somehow I doubt it as there would probably not be enough room in the fuse so I guess they mounted one on either the Port or Starboard Side? The set has two long lens ones for the two belly cameras in the PR XIX I think, and one shorter oblique one.

Hi Pete,

AFAIK FR 47 only had one vertical camera and one oblique (could point either way), both F24s

• Like 1

I have lashed up the camera installation - not accurate but all that will be visible is the end of the camera lenses through the windows.

DSC03153-crop

The oblique camera in its frame is pointing to Port and slightly down, and the lens of the long F24 camera is underneath it - the camera set is for the Airfix PR XIX where the layout is different and there would be room for the whole F24 camera, but in this case I had to cut the actual camera off and just use the lens.

Now I can close the fuselage and press on.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I thought I had taken and posted a pic of it glued together and primed but it seems I am getting forgetful in my old age. Anyway, apart from the tail hook and the longer intake under the nose it would have looked very similar to my Spitfire Mk 22 so no great loss.

DSC03197-crop

As you can see the painting is well under way, and I should be able to start putting decs on over the weekend. With luck it should be finished and in the gallery just in time, even if the deadline is not extended.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Started to put the decs on.

DSC03205-crop

Post war British planes can be a bit of a pain as the underwing serials often go over the wheel doors - OK if you are building wheels up, but not if you are building wheels down like I am. Anyway I managed to blue tac the doors in place so not too bad. I will varnish the decs again, then carefully cut around the doors with a new scalpel blade - fingers crossed.

Pete

• Like 4

By my normal modelling standards, progress on this kit has been glacially slow, but I should still finish it by the revised deadline. Not sure why but I seem to suffering a loss of motivation on both this and the Spitfire Mk 22. Yes, I have had a few fit problems with the latter, and may still have problems with the Seafire canopy, but nothing unsurmountable I hope.

DSC03232-crop

All the underside decs are now on, and I will start on the top shortly.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

I am pleased to say that Special Hobby engineered the canopy a lot better than MPM did for my Xtrakit Spitfire 22 - it went on fine.

DSC03239-crop

Unfortunately the same cannot be said for some of their decals. The small stencils and the wing walkway lines curled up as soon as they came off the backing paper, but I got there in the end. I will leave off some of the wing panel markings as there is no hope of them going on, but I am in anycase using a set of markings from Xtradecal for most of the markings, and they did not have said panels! A few more stencils to go on then I should be able to glue all the other bits and pieces on ready for spraying - just hope I can get the wingtip lights on without losing them to the carpet monster. Getting there slowly!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

hope I can get the wingtip lights on without losing them to the carpet monster

If I have the time, and the presence of mind, I use a tea tray with a high rim when working with small parts that are liable to go 'ping' and head off it the direction of the carpet monster.

Best of luck!

Hi Charlie,

I also use a tray and I use doubled over masking tape (home made double sided sellotape) to hold the parts when cutting them off the sprue and cleaning them up. Got away with it on my Spit 22 and with the exhausts on my Manchester - fingers crossed this time! Best done in daylight so I have a chance of actually seeing the beggars if they go astray. I will do it in my dining room which has dark brown parquet flooring - slightly more difficult for them to hide! Holding a torch at ground level sometimes pick up stray bits too, failing which the good old dustpan and brush sometimes works. I have even heard of people putting a cloth over the nozzle of their vac to pick bits up. Hope I do not need to try that.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Although this Special Hobby moulding looks at first glance to be very similar to the one MPM produced for the Xtrakit Spitfire 22 it is actually far more "refined". The fit is a lot better and items such as the canopy and tail wheel doors go on without any fuss.

DSC03245-crop

Everything is now on except for the two tiny hooks that held the catapult bridle - one of them pinged off into the unknown. That highlights one of the small problems with this kit - lack of locating holes, or even marks for things like the hooks, pitot, and the frame in front of the tailwheel intended to deflect arrester wires. Also, SH provide a centreline drop tanks, wing mounted blister like "combat tanks" and stubs for rockets, but unlike say Airfix who would have provided flashed over locating holes to be drilled out as required, this kit just has a rather vague diagram with measurments - I decided to model it clean. Personally I think the contra-prop rather spoils its lines but hey - that is what it had and it did reputedly improve the handling on carriers by reducing or eliminating the torque swing effect, or so I believe!

Anyway, after a little tidying up it is now ready for a finishing coat of satin varnish and it should be in the gallery before too long. You can't see it in the above shot but the serial on the port wheel door produces a very odd optical illusion - the "6" looks just like a wheel on the wrong side of the door!

DSC03247-crop

See what I mean? First time I noticed it I thought I had put the leg etc on the wrong way round! As you can see I have painted some Maskol on the canopy ready for spraying. Oops - looks like I need to sort out the demarcation line at the wing root!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

• PeterB changed the title to Seafire FR Mk 47***FINISHED***

Ok, I am calling this done

DSC03252-crop

The markings are for a Seafire FR47 serial VP436 of 804 NAS on HMS Ocean in April 1947, in the newly introduced high demarkation scheme. It has not exactly been fun to build, but I have enjoyed this GB and would like to thank the organisers for all their efforts. I will post some pics in the gallery shortly.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 6