Aviattic Decals - Any Good Reports?

JohnT

Having just treated myself to a lockdown 1/32 Fokker DVII I was wondering if the lozenge decals by Aviattic were good to use?  Anyone got experience they could pass on?

TIA as always for any advice

John

Hi John,

Yes they are. Just be sure to follow the instructions to the letter and they work just fine. Preparation and application is

time-consuming but well worth it.

You might want to have a look at the forum at https://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/ lots of helpful folk and ideas there.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by tango98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dave

I have ordered a set and will give them a go. Thanks for the pointer to WW1 aircraftmodels site too

John

PS just had a look there and some of those WW1 builds are truly mind blowing

• Like 2

I find they are excellent.  If only so you don't have to add the rib tapes separately...But they work great.  Just make sure that the colour or tone of the wing beneath compliments what you are looking for.  The decals are semi-opaque for this reason.  A nice touch, if you ask me.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, John Masters said:

I find they are excellent.  If only so you don't have to add the rib tapes separately...But they work great.  Just make sure that the colour or tone of the wing beneath compliments what you are looking for.  The decals are semi-opaque for this reason.  A nice touch, if you ask me.

Without checking what currently is in stock, he used to offer several versions - translucent so you can mess about with the underlying colours, but also the more traditional  opaque (printed on a white background)  Also factory fresh or faded. You just need to be sure what the options are before ordering.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Late night spelling.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul

again very helpful 

all the responses very much appreciated as I am way out my comfort zone. Still if you don’t try you won’t succeed

just got rigging and biplane stuff go get my head around. Will I sleep peacefully tonight!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tango98 said:

Hi John,

This should help with all of your rigging questions:

http://www.ikb.poznan.pl/przemyslaw.litewka/rigging.pdf

Cheers

Dave

Dave

just had a quick look at that site over Sunday coffee and I must say it’s the first time I’ve seen it all laid out so clearly though I expect others have done similar. I’ve bookmarked it and am thinking of running off a paper copy to refer to when building. I have only part skim read but it looks immensely helpful. Thanks for pointing me in that direction 

Duncans comment above reinforces authoritatively my first impressions

John

• Like 1

This is great, I to have only built one biplane(Curtis Condor) which needs a rebuild. I heard some of these techniques but now understand them better with the link here. It says to use black nylon, is that the correct colour? I'll be building 1/72 mostly. Would black be to harsh a colour in that scale?

On 4/11/2020 at 4:56 PM, JohnT said:

Having just treated myself to a lockdown 1/32 Fokker DVII I was wondering if the lozenge decals by Aviattic were good to use?  Anyone got experience they could pass on?

John

I see he uses nylon. If you have a very stable climate there is maybe no problem, but with changing humidity would you not end up with slacking lines or in the opposite, too taut lines that rips either the glue holding it or even the model itself, whichever is weakest?

18 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

I see he uses nylon. If you have a very stable climate there is maybe no problem, but with changing humidity would you not end up with slacking lines or in the opposite, too taut lines that rips either the glue holding it or even the model itself, whichever is weakest?

Didn't know nylon was that sensitive.

• 10 months later...
On 11/04/2020 at 18:15, JohnT said:

Thanks Dave

I have ordered a set and will give them a go. Thanks for the pointer to WW1 aircraftmodels site too

John

PS just had a look there and some of those WW1 builds are truly mind blowing

Hi John, did you already work with those decals? What do you think? I've just used the Fok. Seven Swabian decals vy Aviattic and they're just great. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088738-132-fokker-dvii-alb-sevens-swabians-from-wingnut-wings-dvii-fok-early/ Micro sol, hairdryer, they can take it all!

1 hour ago, Xtof P said:

Hi John, did you already work with those decals? What do you think? I've just used the Fok. Seven Swabian decals vy Aviattic and they're just great. https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235088738-132-fokker-dvii-alb-sevens-swabians-from-wingnut-wings-dvii-fok-early/ Micro sol, hairdryer, they can take it all!

Hi Xtof P

Sorry the answer is no I haven't.  In truth I've not done any modelling for the best part of two years as we are in the long process of building a new house and working our way through planning, finance, builders and a million and one other obstacles.  Its getting very close to being finished at last and I am hoping that life returns to normal in about three months.  The painter has caught Covid quite badly so it looks like I may need to transfer my model painting skills into room painting skills.  The whole stash has now been moved to secure storage along with all my aviation books.  Most of it went into storage two years ago but a small amount had stayed with me though I never managed to find the time to do anything worthwhile.

I'm really pleased to hear that you have had a good experience with them.  I had a good read at your work in progress topic.  I really like the engine.  Maybe I should send you my engine parts so you can make a start on my kit for me?  :hmmm::D  I like what you are doing with yours.

John T

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello John, 

I also give thumbs up to Aviattic.  I just used the 1/72 A-H sworl decals (that's my Roden/Encore Polish Albatros in his gallery -- pretty far down).  His lozenge instructions say use a gloss white to put them on -- I'd go with that.  I either misplaced the instructions that came with them, or didn't get them with that most-recent purchase, and went with a CDL.  It was ok, but white is better, after I repainted, after having Richard set me back on the right track.  He is always good for helping out.  One thing Richard advised is that they have a little bit of a stretch to them.  That can help conform to odd surfaces.  I also suggest that you start from a back or front edge, get it all lined up along the edge, and then pull the decal paper forward to have the whole wing panel decal "drop/slide" onto the wing panel.  If any part curls under, you're pretty much sunk.  The idea of doing a 1/32 wing panel would keep me up at night, after doing the 1/72 Albatros, though after messing up one lower wing panel, I did quite well.  You might even consider cutting the panel into smaller sections (chord-wise) and applying separately, though that presents it's own problems matching up the cut edges and keeping all sections even span-wise.  I think he suggests no setting solutions are needed, but I would go with lots of Micro Set to put them in, especially if you are doing a large section.

Best of luck to you

Bob C

Edited by Bob C.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bob

much appreciated

I think I’ll have the house done in 2 months and then it’s stash back out again :D

43 minutes ago, Bob C. said:

Hello John, 

I also give thumbs up to Aviattic.  

Bob C

On 11/04/2020 at 16:56, JohnT said:

John

They're just brilliant! But i found out on my Fokker D.VII Seven Swabians set the wing crosses are missing and you have zo use the ones from the kit. For i don't have the OAW kit but the Fok. instead i have to make my own. Also the stencils on the wingtips are lacking. The lozenge are beutiful - be careful with preshading and keep it subtle! 

• Thanks 1