Fabric seat belts

Redstaff

Hi, wondering what people use to glue fabric seat belts where they are folded over through a buckle etc (when they join back to themselves)

Last time i did it I used superglue but found it made that part very hard and inflexible. Just wondering whether to try PVA this time 🤔 or something else

Any suggestions welcomed

Ian :) 

5 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

How about shoe glue? It's rubbery, stays flexible after drying and it works ok on fabric.

Is that the copydex sort of rubber glue in a tube?

To be honest I'm not sure how to translate the ingredients. 

I have this one: Moment-shoe-glue.png?w=845&ssl=1

And this one: uhu-extra-gel-all-purpose-adhesive-20ml.

Used both of these on fabric, the one from Moment is better, not sure what the availability is in your country.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I'm not familiar with the moment brand, but UHU is familiar :) 

I'll see what's easily available at present :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Hi, wondering what people use to glue fabric seat belts where they are folded over through a buckle etc (when they join back to themselves)

I have used fabric glue found at sewing supply stores. On seat leather and roof covering fabric. I make belts from medical adhesive tape which has a nice weave pattern. Tiny drop of CA holds overlaps.

• Thanks 1

Moment should be available as "Pattex" in most places.

Water-resistent PVA or bookbinders glue for glossy materials will work well. Both stay flexible and are almost identical.

I wonder if the material could be heat-welded - most of these fabrics are purely synthetic and thus should respond to heat. Maybe with the edge of a heatened scalpell blade they can be pressed together to form one piece? Obviously - don't try this on your showpiece ;)

• Thanks 1

I use Kristal Klear, it's  a Microscale  product I think. Should be available everywhere in normal circumstances. It takes forever to dry but doesn't damage anything and dries transparent. Personally I think Pattex and Bostik are just rubbish.....

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

That's the stuff for glueing windows, right? So it's just PVA.

It is PVA based, but it's thicker and seems more tacky to me, but that's just my opinion 

I wonder if GS-Hypo would work?  I use that to attach canopies etc., but as it's a non-absorbing glue (a watch crystal adhesive by design), It would probably work.  I lost my last tube in the great workshop refit of 2020. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike said:

I wonder if GS-Hypo would work?  I use that to attach canopies etc., but as it's a non-absorbing glue (a watch crystal adhesive by design), It would probably work.  I lost my last tube in the great workshop refit of 2020. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I got some of that last year and never used it, wonder where I put it 🤔 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I use this glue. Why ? :

It doesn't stain the belt material. You can use it to glue plastics, metals, leather, fabric, glass, etc.  Apply a very small amount of this glue with a toothpick to both sides of the fabric, let it dry for 30-60 seconds and press the two sides together.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Fabric Seat Belt Material     always troublesome!     Try using Aluminium Foil instead cut into strips.....and form it into shape after fitting buckles etc. The leaden foil from wine bottles is better still but not used so much these days.