1/35 Matilda MkIII/IV. Tamiya (35300)

Evenin’ All

Hot on the heels of my Panther last month, here’s my second big armour thingy! 

• The kit - Tamiya’s 1/35 Matilda Mk II/IV (35300). An example from the 42nd Royal Tank Regiment, which formed part of the 1st Army Tank Brigade, and served in the Western Desert Campaign in North Africa in 1941-2.  Built OOB, it virtually fell together, except for the link’n’length track, sections of which kept falling off !
  • Paint – Tamiya acrylics mixed to Mr Mike Starmers’s recipies for the Caunter scheme.
  • Weathering – A lumpy, sludge mix of Humbrol weathering powder for the mud. Tamiya Weathering Master set A (mostly) and (a bit of) D, and a lot of use of watercolour pencils, especially for the dust and sand deposits on the decks and turret.  A light dusting of XF57 Buff to finish off.
  • Distractions – Tank Chats.  In my research I discovered the The Tank Museum’s Tank Chats on Youtube.  Really good watching for a tank noob like myself.  I’m on #80 Black Prince as I write this.

Here it is, I hope you like it.

Apologies for the use of my phone camera. I wasn't too happy with the indoor photos for showing a true colours so I took some outdoors in the desert-like sunshine to see how they'd turn out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

One more for luck.

spacer.png

So, I’m still enjoying my foray into armour subjects, they’re certainly different to what I’m used to.  My next big decision will be, do I stick with 1/35 or do I swap to 1/48 so that they’ll sit comfortably among my aircraft models ?

While I ponder that, I’ve placed an order with my local for a Tamiya 1:35th scale - Panzer Mk.III Ausf.L – 35215…….meanwhile my stash is bulging with neglected aircraft projects. Ah well.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Gaz

Edited by kiwitrogg
spelling again
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Lovely job you've done there.  Weathering is nice and light, but enough to give it some character.

And don't worry about phone pics, its how most of us do it these days!  The pics look fine.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nev said:

Lovely job you've done there.  Weathering is nice and light, but enough to give it some character.

And don't worry about phone pics, its how most of us do it these days!  The pics look fine.

Thanks Nev.  Yeah the old camera phones are pretty good nowadays; it's the lack of depth that gets me.

41 minutes ago, trickydicky210 said:

Fantastic Matilda, love the subtle weathering

cheers Rich

Thanks Rich, maybe subtle should be my modelling handle. :)

Now I just have to wait for the next one to arrive. :waiting:

Edited by kiwitrogg

Looks really good Gaz.

I tend to take the easy way on the Caunter colours and use pre mixed ones from MRP which are excellent paints but a little expensive but your colours look spot on so maybe next time a will dig out Mike Starmer's mix.

I'm in the process of painting my Matilda at the moment but I've gone for the SCC No2/No1 brown scheme.

Wayne.

• Like 1

Lovely tank, well done caunter. These Mike Starmer recipes are awesome,  it keeps the paint stash modest and at the same time you learn how to make the most of them. When it comes to masking tape, Tamiya would be my weapon of choice too. Great work,

Cheers,

Ernst

• Like 1

9 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Looks really good Gaz.

I tend to take the easy way on the Caunter colours and use pre mixed ones from MRP which are excellent paints but a little expensive but your colours look spot on so maybe next time a will dig out Mike Starmer's mix.

I'm in the process of painting my Matilda at the moment but I've gone for the SCC No2/No1 brown scheme.

Wayne.

Thanks Wayne

I try to use Tamiya acrylics wherever I can, they spray nicely and i can use them to brush paint smaller parts as well. Also my local shop stocks them, so they're easily available to me.  However what I do end up with are pots of paint mixes which just encourage me to use them again.  So maybe there'll be an M3 Stuart, Caunter scheme in the future :hmmm:.

Good luck with your Matlida, I look forward to seeing it :)

9 hours ago, Ernst said:

Lovely tank, well done caunter. These Mike Starmer recipes are awesome,  it keeps the paint stash modest and at the same time you learn how to make the most of them. When it comes to masking tape, Tamiya would be my weapon of choice too. Great work,

Cheers,

Ernst

Thanks Ernst.

I totally agree with you about the paint and the tape. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Fantastic job, especially counter camo!

Working on this same kit at the moment. Wish it turns out at least close to this one 🙂

Cheers,

Nenad

Thanks Nenad, I look forward to seeing yours in the RFI section. :)

Cheers

Gaz

Recently I went to the tank museum in Bovington before the lockdown. The Matilda was a really nice tank to look around and read about. They were surprisingly effective as infantry support tanks. 

You've done a great job welldone. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 4:11 AM, Buzby061 said:

Very nicely done, painting & weathering is top notch.

It's a lovely kit, I chickened out on the Caunter scheme on mine. 

Pete

Thanks Pete.  Might be time to grab yourself another lit and have a go.  A ton of patience and a few rolls of masking tape is all you need.  Besides, mud covers all  :winkgrin:

On 4/17/2020 at 10:55 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Gaz. That is a superb result. Very impressive scheme and weathering! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, much appreciated :)

On 4/18/2020 at 2:23 AM, Tony C said:

I think that you've done an excellent job :thumbsup:

Thanks Tony :)

On 4/20/2020 at 5:31 AM, Nurwin said:

Recently I went to the tank museum in Bovington before the lockdown. The Matilda was a really nice tank to look around and read about. They were surprisingly effective as infantry support tanks. 

You've done a great job welldone. 

Thanks Nurwin.  I did think of visiting Bovington last year when we were back in Blighty for couple of weeks.  It was too far out of our way unfortunately.  As I mentioned above, I've been watching Tank Chats by The Tank Museum on Youtube.  They've also put together a series of videos ,that I'm now watching, about the rebuild of the Matilda.  I'm finding it very interesting, but I do wish I'd found it earlier.  I like to have a bit of understanding about the subject that I'm building.  I'm ok with aircraft but I know virtually nothing about tanks it seems   :S

Cheers All

Gaz