Seafire FR.47 - Grand Phoenix/Airfix 1/48 - FINISHED!

Main decals are on. They'll need a bit of setting solution, and I've still got the stencils to apply. I always enjoy how the model really comes to life as the decals go on, and I love the low demarcation EDSG/Sky scheme of this particular aircraft.

spacer.png

• Like 7

I'm slowly edging towards completion. Decals are finished, and I've done a bit of gentle weathering - really just a panel line wash using black and raw umber oil paint thinned with turpentine, wiped away with a finger and tidied up with paper towel moistened with turps. I did a bit of pre-shading and I think overall it'll look OK given that these late Spitfires really didn't get heavily weathered. I hope to get the matt coat on tomorrow and then it's just final assembly. Still time for things to go wrong, but I think I should get there by the deadline! (Note the prop isn't fixed, just placed there for effect, which is why it looks a bit droopy!).

spacer.png

• Like 8

Getting there! Flat coat applied, undercarriage fixed, and canopy attached. Needs tidying up around the front windshield, and then just need to get the folded wings fixed on. I'm still a bit nervous about this as it's a very small joining area - I'm going to make some cardboard jigs later to (hopefully) get the angles right and support the wings while the glue cures. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

Looks really great djk.

18 hours ago, djktrumpet said:

I'm going to make some cardboard jigs later to (hopefully) get the angles right and support the wings while the glue cures.

A good idea, best of luck!

• Like 1

OK, as I suspected, there just isn't enough area to glue properly - or at least, I can't make it work satisfactorily. I've therefore decided to bodge it slightly and make some L-shaped brackets from 0.6mm brass wire. Purists look away now! The attached photo isn't great, sorry, but you get the idea. I think it'll look OK when painted to match the mating faces of the wings, and at least the folded wings shouldn't fall off!

spacer.png

• Like 5

I'm going to call this finished. It's been quite a challenging build, and I've certainly learned a lot; there are things that I could have done better, but overall I'm pretty pleased with it. It certainly looks like a Seafire, which is the general idea! Whilst I've enjoyed building it with folded wings and exposed engine, the thing I really love about the Spitfire family is their beautiful organic lines, and modelling it like this loses some of that aspect for me. If I can find another kit I'll build it OOB!

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

• djktrumpet changed the title to Seafire FR.47 - Grand Phoenix/Airfix 1/48 - FINISHED!