Halftrack M16 Tamiya 1/35

Hi,

Normally I am an aircraft modeller, but this halftrack is something I built while "the paint was drying" on my recent Sabre. It is completely built straight out of the box, apart from the decals, which were aftermarket and were even thicker than the Tamiya decals.  In the end for the front engine cover I used a mask and airbrushed the ring and star on.

Thanks for watching.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all.......

Rgds

Edited by Rob K.
removed photo obscured by finger
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, kiwitrogg said:

Nice, very nice indeed. I'm starting to get into this armour stuff.

:worthy:

Cheers

Gaz

Thanks, I found that unlike with aircraft, applied “mud” can hide a multitude of sins👍

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rob K. said:

Thanks, I found that unlike with aircraft, applied “mud” can hide a multitude of sins👍

I know what you mean. A bit of light weathering takes on a whole new meaning around these parts of the forum :lol:.  I'm still learning, and I'll be coming back to this build for inspiration if build an M16.

Gaz

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Rob K. said:

Tut-tut!

Mud was not designed to hide "a multitude of sins" it's just very good at it and a useful aside.

Great build of the golden oldie Meat Chopper, good colour modulation and weathering too btw. Don't know why the M16 halftrack is such a rarity, difficult to get hold of and expensive if you do. However you've done the old Tamiya kit justice and there's something to be said for an oob build.

Thanks

Darryl 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Tut-tut!

Mud was not designed to hide "a multitude of sins" it's just very good at it and a useful aside.

Great build of the golden oldie Meat Chopper, good colour modulation and weathering too btw. Don't know why the M16 halftrack is such a rarity, difficult to get hold of and expensive if you do. However you've done the old Tamiya kit justice and there's something to be said for an oob build.

Thanks

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl,

I got this one from ebay in a tatty box and the instructions were present but self printed, probably downloaded from scalemates or other. Therefore luckily not that expensive. All the parts were there though. There is indeed something nostalgic about an oob build (although I am not that old......)

Thanks,

Rgds

• Like 1

I really like how it turned out. I remember I made one of these when I wasn't an "oldie" ... lol, now we both are ... sigh,
The only thing that perhaps could be improved are the tracks, which were quite rigid and did not fit very well.

Cheers mate 👍

• Thanks 1

You should build more armour, as that looks really good. I often use different things to cover up mistakes, or items that I'm not happy with, such as draping a tarpaulin over something that I don't want seen. Covering something with mud can bite you in the backside if it isn't done well, but yours looks real and natural. Nice one.

John.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

You should build more armour, as that looks really good. I often use different things to cover up mistakes, or items that I'm not happy with, such as draping a tarpaulin over something that I don't want seen. Covering something with mud can bite you in the backside if it isn't done well, but yours looks real and natural. Nice one.

John.

Thanks John,

I may do a military truck or something to that extent.  For now back to  a b-17 which I have been trying to finish for ages. Thank you for the feedback 👍

Rgds

Rob

• Like 1

Cool kit, well done. I like the wiped away dust on the window. What I appreciate about avf modeling is the option to weather some accidents away and that takes the pressure off. John is right, it shouldn't be done haphazardly but in this case I wouldn't suspect it though.

Cheers,

Ernst

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the comments, critique, feedback and likes so far. What I was struggling with was to find good - and interesting - armour decals (in this case for US WWII armour). Since I am mostly an aircraft manufacturer I pretty much know which decal manufacturers to use for aircraft. What are good decal manufacturers for armour? The ones I purchased were even thicker and harder to conform than the Tamiya decals  (with softener, even with tamiya thinner they wouldn't soften or budge - so I airbrushed the ring and star on the engine cover in the end). I won't name or shame the decals I did purchase because they could be someones livelihood. 

Would be great to get some advice on this....

Rgds

Rob